The Student Room Group

Ex-Muslim, now Atheist - ASK ME ANYTHING!

17 years old male. Used to live in Pakistan for 4 years. Converted to Atheism at around age 15. Now a liberal Atheist. I attend a school in which most pupils are muslims. Ask me anything!

Scroll to see replies

Why are 95% of ex muslims south asian?
I honestly think you guys became atheist due to your cultural/personal issues and not Islam itself.
How're you enjoying your newfound freedom?
What do you think is the best thing about no longer being a Muslim?
Why did you stop believing in Islam?

:smile:
I am sorry you never felt strongly about Islam. Inshallah Allah will guide you to the correct path once again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Secretnerd123
Why are 95% of ex muslims south asian?
I honestly think you guys became atheist due to your cultural/personal issues and not Islam itself.

Not sure if that's a statistical fact or not.

And I don't know about others but for me I did not become an atheist due to any cultural/personal issues or for that matter due to Islam itself, I became atheist because I realised that religion is irrational and has no evidence.
Do you feel special or something?
Who else knows that you converted to Atheism?
Original post by Harvey Dent

How are you suddenly 'free' without islam? I honestly feel so sorry for OP. Disbelievers (and especially those who were given the privelege to be born into the religion then turned away) get the worst punishment on the day of judgement.

Edit: i've deleted the don't quote me bit because I actually want to prove those who have misconceptions about Islam (including OP himself) wrong :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
How are you suddenly 'free' without islam? I honestly feel so sorry for OP. Disbelievers (and especially those who were given the privelege to be born into the religion then turned away) get the worst punishment on the day of judgement.

P.s lease don't quote me and try to instigate an argument as i'm not interested and won't respond :biggrin:

Oh no! The 2000 year-old book of desert myths says that anybody who doesn't believe in it will go to hell!
Forgive me for not cowering in fear.
Reply 10

It's great to not be bounded by medieval nonsense rules which are incompatible with the modern 21st century. It is liberating and a form of empowerment.

Original post by Law-Hopeful
What do you think is the best thing about no longer being a Muslim?
Why did you stop believing in Islam?

:smile:

The best thing about not being a Muslim is that my thoughts and cognitions are not bounded. I am free to think and question the world around me without the fear of hell or such things holding my thoughts back.

To put it short, the reason I stopped believing in Islam was when I realised that is not so much of an ideal exemplary as people of the faith think it to be.

Original post by Prince Dunlop
I am sorry you never felt strongly about Islam. Inshallah Allah will guide you to the correct path once again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hopefully... except this time I only hope he physically comes down and guide me to make me believe he's there. (oh wait!)
Funny how OP completely ignores my question
Reply 12
Original post by SophiaLDN
Do you feel special or something?

No.

Original post by Kash24411
Who else knows that you converted to Atheism?

My nuclear family and my friends.
Oh no! The 2000 year-old book of desert myths says that anybody who doesn't believe in it will go to hell!
Forgive me for not cowering in fear.

Yet the book says that not only Muslims will enter paradise so your point is invalid

Quran [17:15]: Allah (swt) says, He will not punish those, to whom He has not sent any messenger (to warn him).

Quran [2:268]: Allah (swt) says, "to NO soul a Burden will be placed, greater than it can bear"

Quran [5:48]: Allah (swt) says, for every human being, there is a different test depending on what he is capable of
Reply 14
How did your fellow Muslim students react to your change? That's if you decided to tell them or not. Well done on leaving that archaic belief system behind though!
Funny how OP completely ignores my question

Because you told him not to quote you and said you wouldn't respond....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tabmax22

To put it short, the reason I stopped believing in Islam was when I realised that is not so much of an ideal exemplary as people of the faith think it to be.

Could you please elucidate on this (with examples maybe?).

Are your parents muslim and how did they react when they found out that you didn't believe in a God (let alone the Islamic one)?

Thanks for your answers, and I'm glad that you appear to be living a happier life after leaving such a backwards set of beliefs and way of life. :smile:
Reply 17

P.s lease don't quote me and try to instigate an argument as i'm not interested and won't respond :biggrin:

I didn't ignore your question. I was replying to the others. Anyway, I feel free without Islam because I am now free to think about thoughts which would otherwise wrong if I was a muslim. For example, it would be wrong for me to even question or think critically about the existence of God. I would have naively believed creationism if I was still a muslim. These are namely just a few reasons. Being an atheist allows me to think for myself as opposed to believing books written by Peasants thousands of years ago.
Original post by miscounted_time
Because you told him not to quote you and said you wouldn't respond....

Posted from TSR Mobile

PRSOM :lol:

Some people...
Original post by Kash24411
Yet the book says that not only Muslims will enter paradise so your point is invalid

Quran [17:15]: Allah (swt) says, He will not punish those, to whom He has not sent any messenger (to warn him).

Quran [2:268]: Allah (swt) says, "to NO soul a Burden will be placed, greater than it can bear"

Quran [5:48]: Allah (swt) says, for every human being, there is a different test depending on what he is capable of

If we're going to play the cherry-picking game:

“Prophet, make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites and deal rigorously with them. Hell shall be their home: an evil fate.” Quran 9:73

“The unbelievers among the People of the Book [Bible] and the pagans shall burn for ever in the fire of Hell. They are the vilest of all creatures.” Quran 98:6

“He that chooses a religion over Islam, it will not be accepted from him and in the world to come he will be one of the lost.” Quran 3:85

“God’s curse be upon the infidels! Evil is that for which they have bartered away their souls. To deny God’s own revelation, grudging that He should reveal His bounty to whom He chooses from among His servants! They have incurred God’s most inexorable wrath. An ignominious punishment awaits the unbelievers.” Quran 2:89-2:90

Quick Reply

Latest