The Student Room Group

What job should I get?

I am really interested in what career I should have when I'm older (I'm 15 now), I guess as it would be an ultimate goal for me to works towards?

I love art, history, ict, human relations, psychology and human/animal welfare. I am not constantly organised and don't have the longest attention span ever though. :confused: I am rubbish at languages and I am not the best a maths but I can definitely do up to GCSE level. I am not at all interested in any of the sciences except physics, although I am doing double award science to keep my options open.

I really enjoy helping people and I have volunteered for cancer charities etc and I am the Youth Officer at a local cancer charity so I deal with everything related to the Youth e.g. creating, planning fundraisers that would appeal to teens, preteens, children etc. I enjoy being around and working with children as I love their enthusiasm and I love inspiring them more also. However I still want a job that has good pay, good pension scheme, would allow me good holidays and allow me to have a family/work balance if I ever has kids etc.

I was thinking of being a teacher as I spend a lot of time around my old primary as my mum is a teacher there so I help her organise the books into levels etc and I am the resident DJ there for school discos
:cool:. My mum, my aunt and my uncle are all teachers so I don't have a super romanticised view of being a teacher either, I know all about the weekly, monthly plans etc:wink:

Thoughts? :bl:
(edited 9 years ago)
Well done for thinking about it this much at this stage of your life. When I was your age, I really didn't know what I wanted to be/go in to.
Original post by randomgeeza
Well done for thinking about it this much at this stage of your life. When I was your age, I really didn't know what I wanted to be/go in to.

Snap. I'm 23 and only recently have I gained a more than vague idea of what I really want to do.
Original post by -=|Jay|=-
Snap. I'm 23 and only recently have I gained a more than vague idea of what I really want to do.

I only found out what I wanted to do when I was 23 years old too. When I was 15, i just cared about watching/participating sports, playing games and eating fast food :biggrin:
Original post by tara_mc_
I am really interested in what career I should have when I'm older (I'm 15 now), I guess as it would be an ultimate goal for me to works towards?

I love art, history, ict, human relations, psychology and human/animal welfare. I am not constantly organised and don't have the longest attention span ever though. :confused: I am rubbish at languages and I am not the best a maths but I can definitely do up to GCSE level. I am not at all interested in any of the sciences except physics, although I am doing double award science to keep my options open.

I really enjoy helping people and I have volunteered for cancer charities etc and I am the Youth Officer at a local cancer charity so I deal with everything related to the Youth e.g. creating, planning fundraisers that would appeal to teens, preteens, children etc. I enjoy being around and working with children as I love their enthusiasm and I love inspiring them more also. However I still want a job that has good pay, good pension scheme, would allow me good holidays and allow me to have a family/work balance if I ever has kids etc.

I was thinking of being a teacher as I spend a lot of time around my old primary as my mum is a teacher there so I help her organise the books into levels etc and I am the resident DJ there for school discos
:cool:. My mum, my aunt and my uncle are all teachers so I don't have a super romanticised view of being a teacher either, I know all about the weekly, monthly plans etc:wink:

Thoughts? :bl:

Well done for, by your description, being the nicest person I've yet seen on this forum. I think career decisions should generally be some combination of personal interest, helping other people, and what the situation allows. That said, I doubt you could come to any lasting decisions at your age. I would very strongly recommend that you read around to give yourself a sense of general orientation, i.e. the literary classics, psychology, philosophy, politics and whatever interests you. I realise that's very unusual at your age, but if you're thinking about these things, I can't think of anything more valuable for personal development. Maybe also study relatively hard, to keep your options open. Other than that, just enjoy yourself.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending