The Student Room Group

Should women, married to men, take their husbands last name?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
My dad didn't like my mums name 'Sabria'. So he changed it to 'Rayana'.
My mum got annoyed so she changed his name Fazlud to 'Hamid' :lol:
Original post by leedswest
I never said that you had to do it, all I was saying was just see it from a more positive and modern outlook.

But it isn't a positive and modern tradition - that was my point
Not if they don't want to.
Yes as she is my property
Its up to her, she doesn't have to. I personally wouldn't take my partner's name, not because of sexism or anything like that just because I don't like his surname and more importantly, I'm used to my own surname. It wouldn't make our marriage/partnership/relationship any less serious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by joker12345
But it isn't a positive and modern tradition - that was my point

I see marriage as a positive tradition, but the joy of our free and modern society is that we are both right! :tongue:
Original post by victoriajackson
Yes they do but it's their choice not something they have to do or have been bullied into doing. You might not see it as you owning her but she might I personally wouldn't want to and I don't see why I should, are you honestly saying it would be a deal breaker if you loved someone so much you wanted to marry them but they wouldn't take your surname so that would be it?

Yes it would be a deal breaker. Just as her not wanting kids would be a deal breaker since I want kids one day.
Original post by Mr Smurf
Yes it would be a deal breaker. Just as her not wanting kids would be a deal breaker since I want kids one day.

I can understand the kids thing because it has a point a surname though is just ridiculous why does it make a difference why does she need to have your surname there isn't really a valid reason, why don't you want her to keep her name it's part of her identity,
I can understand the kids thing because it has a point a surname though is just ridiculous why does it make a difference why does she need to have your surname there isn't really a valid reason, why don't you want her to keep her name it's part of her identity,

Because it's a tradition about marriage I feel strongly about. I want to be a family with one surname and the woman taking the mans surname is the "done thing". In all married couples that I know of the woman took her husbands surname. I want it to be that way with my marriage too.
Because it's a tradition about marriage I feel strongly about. I want to be a family with one surname and the woman taking the mans surname is the "done thing". In all married couples that I know of the woman took her husbands surname. I want it to be that way with my marriage too.

You could double barrel you'd both have the same surname then.
You could double barrel you'd both have the same surname then.

No. As I said I would want her to take mine.
Reply 91
It'd be simpler for legal purposes if they did wouldn't it?

I really don't care TBH. (Which does sorta ask why I'm on here.)
I'd love to double-barrel our names just because i don't want to lose my identity...but i don't actually like my surname :frown:
Reply 93
I'm keeping my surname. And I'll want to give it to my children.
Yes

**** women are getting too brave these days
Reply 95
Of course they should :confused:
No. As I said I would want her to take mine.

You said you wanted your family to have the same name, if you had both you would I think there is more to it than tradition and I'm pretty sure if it comes to it you'll marry her anyway big difference between talk and reality.
You said you wanted your family to have the same name, if you had both you would I think there is more to it than tradition and I'm pretty sure if it comes to it you'll marry her anyway big difference between talk and reality.

No I wont. You don't know me or what I want so you can't say whether or not I would marry someone. If a woman was not happy to take my surname then there is nothing that will make me marry her. I couldn't bring myself to tie the knot because this is something important to me. We would just be incompatible so would have to break it off. Most women do in fact take their husbands surname and there are men who don't care. It would be best for both of us to find people who suit us.
"Should women, married to men, take their husbands last name?"

Why not?
They take their last penny dont they? 😦
Original post by leedswest
I see marriage as a positive tradition, but the joy of our free and modern society is that we are both right! :tongue:

I also see marriage as positive, I just see traditions such as the father handing over his daughter and woman taking mans surname as sexist.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending