The Student Room Group

Pep Guardiola does more harm for football than good

He plays anti-football. Bayern were a boring team to watch last year, bearing in mind they actually played exciting football and won trophies under Heynckes. I'd rather watch 90 mins of a Mourinho bus than his "defensive possession" bull****. Discuss.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Pep manages Barca - Spain win World Cup
Pep manages Bayern - Germany win World Cup

/thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
cool opinion bro
Reply 3
Original post by sufferin succotash
Pep manages Barca - Spain win World Cup
Pep manages Bayern - Germany win World Cup

/thread

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rolleyes:

It's not like Bayern weren't dominant before is it? And you seem to have forgotten Real Madrid tearing them a new one in the semis due to their ridiculously high line at the back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
What a bizarre person to hate. There's plenty of managers who do the game a disservice, Guardiola really isn't one of them.
Reply 5
Original post by Mackay
What a bizarre person to hate. There's plenty of managers who do the game a disservice, Guardiola really isn't one of them.

I assume you may be referring to a man with a little horse as one of them. I could argue that as equally as his antics and football can be boring to watch, Pep is exactly the same. His tiki-taka bull**** has gone too far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not Guardiola's biggest fan either but how can anyone say they prefer watching Mourinho's football for what it inherently is? :confused:
Reply 7
Original post by #That'sNotMe
He plays anti-football. Bayern were a boring team to watch last year, bearing in mind they actually played exciting football and won trophies under Heynckes. I'd rather watch 90 mins of a Mourinho bus than his "defensive possession" bull****. Discuss.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know which football you've been watching?

Munich have been winning by huge goal amounts all Season and won it record fashion.

I'm guessing you don't even watch Bundesliga and your opinion is based on watching them in the late stages of the Champions League where almost every team is defensive...

Guardiola is a World Class manager and his accolades speak for themselves.
Anti-football is one of the dumbest phrases I have heard. Only the phrase 'hardscoping' beats that.
Agreed. It's boring and dull, pass, pass, pass, other team makes a mistake, tap in, that's it.

My team is Chelsea, but I can admit that the best English teams to watch last season were Liverpool and Man City, but even Chelsea's really brutal defending coupled with the counter-attack has more excitement value. Honestly, Pepe is no genius and it was so satisfying seeing his team get trashed by Madrid in the CL, even if I do slightly like Bayern.
Reply 10
His teams are ALWAYS boring to watch. I don't really understand fans of football who admire watching that type of match.

Just hold on to the ball endlessly, don't let the other team play and just pass the ball around until they get tired/bored and just hit them with a goal.

It works, but it's such a one-sided affair.

It's not like he's actually had to WORK to bring through excellent players either, has he? Excellent players in both Bayern and Barca. The two clubs have always been near the top...
Reply 11
The passing stuff was good at first, because it was short quick passing with the intent of going forward and creating attacks. Now it is just passing for the sake of it, with the occasional attempt at an attack. You could say that it is because teams have learnt how to play against it, but regardless Guardiola's teams have become very boring to watch.

Ok they still thrash the bad teams with that style of play, but whenever they play a top side it seems they care more about the possession statistic than the scoreline.
So... basically, your an idiot who thinks your opinion should be taken as objective fact... pfff typical arrogance Englishman.
"Pep Guardiola has done more harm for football than good" after producing one of the most dominant, attacking teams (Barcelona of 09-12) in the history of football? This was then the same system that Spain used to win the WC and Euros shortly after. Lol. Just lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This thread is completely idiotic.

No one is going to agree because it is simply opinion.

It is not even an argument about which tactics are most effective.
Original post by Zürich
Not Guardiola's biggest fan either but how can anyone say they prefer watching Mourinho's football for what it inherently is? :confused:

Because Arsenal scored more goals than Chelsea last season right. Arsenal fans have no right to comment tbh.

There were like only two league games where I'd admit we parked the bus last season. CL is a different thing altogether, you do what you can to progress.
The Barcelona team of 2009 was perfection. The tiki-taka was perfection. If you need reminding of what happened in the UCL final that year - http://wp.me/p4PqmP-5

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't enjoy watching his style of football, but saying he does more harm than good is a bit over the top. It seems like a lot of people have gotten bored with it, though. The lack of risk taking makes it a bore to watch. It was sometimes a good watch against the La Liga teams that didn't give a **** about defence and constantly allowed for counters. Against competent opposition, who aren't tactically naive, it's a boring watch.
Original post by Isometrix
Because Arsenal scored more goals than Chelsea last season right. Arsenal fans have no right to comment tbh.

There were like only two league games where I'd admit we parked the bus last season. CL is a different thing altogether, you do what you can to progress.

How are Arsenal relevant at all? He compared Mourinho to Guardiola...

inb4 United fans have no right to comment
Think people have forgotten what tiki taka is. The style Bayern and Barcelona play is really nothing like how it was at it's peak.

Quick Reply

Latest