The Student Room Group

Becoming a farmer.

Hi people! Im 15 years old and have a lifelong dream of owning my own farm and having cattle! Im finishing high school next year and plan to go to an agricultural college then hopefully get a farm. I know about all the money that i will lose on petrol, fixing machinery, and all sorts off Stuff as i was Brought up on a farm but that was back in poland and moved to uk in 2008 How much would a 300 acre farm cost? And where is the best county to farm?Im not sure if this the right the Section of the website so dont moan Please!

Scroll to see replies

Hmm can't say I have any expertise in this area, maybe someone here audits or does tax returns for farms and know something about the sector?

This probably belongs in the property, construction, etc. sub-forum, i'll move it if you don't get any replies.
Reply 2
I can't answer the questions but I know you will cover what you need to know on a course with either the Royal Agricultural College or Plumpton College. I'd say the same as for any career: go and start the degree first, take advantage of all the work experience opportunities and then use that to work out what you want to do.

Viticulture would be a good course to take if you want to work internationally or be well paid to farm for someone else.
Original post by Fruitbatapple
Hi people! Im 15 years old and have a lifelong dream of owning my own farm and having cattle! Im finishing high school next year and plan to go to an agricultural college then hopefully get a farm. I know about all the money that i will lose on petrol, fixing machinery, and all sorts off Stuff as i was Brought up on a farm but that was back in poland and moved to uk in 2008 How much would a 300 acre farm cost? And where is the best county to farm?Im not sure if this the right the Section of the website so dont moan Please!

Go to the RAU or Harper Adams, pretty much all of the younger farmers I know did that.

As for land I don't know for price, depends on if you want to grow crops, graze animals, meat / dairy, location, tenanted or bought outright... so many variables. But farms do not come cheap.

You have come to right place.

It is well worth going to Agricultural College. Somewhere like Shuttleworth and Hartpury. I have heard they are good. I went to Warwickshire college I don't recommend it. To really gin the expertise that are needed to actually run a farm you will need to go to University and learn about the more complicated side of Farming in the UK. There is a lot of legislation in the UK which all farmers must know. I recommend Harper Adams University. Not only because I go there, but because it is the best Agricultural University in the UK. I wouldn't recommend RAU. That is the university where historic landowners go (those who have had farms in their families for generations). And it is full dickheads.

As for obtaining a farm, your best bet would be a tenancy, as buying a 300 acre farm out right would cost around the £3 million mark at the rate the market is increasing. Unless you have £3 million lying around. The current market is roughly £9,000 per acre, but it has been rising quite significantly over recent years and it isn't set to drop any time soon. A year tenancy would cost around £25,000 a year. These are averages and may vary depending on what you want to farm and where.

Now as far as the county is concerned, it really depends on what you want to farm. As certain crops such as sugar beet can only be produced in certain areas of the country (I believe it is around Norfolk, but don't quote me on that). This is due to the refining of the sugar and the nearest processing plants.

So you tell me what you want to farm and I can try and recommend you a good place to start. I hope this helps.
Original post by DiddyDec
You have come to right place.

It is well worth going to Agricultural College. Somewhere like Shuttleworth and Hartpury. I have heard they are good. I went to Warwickshire college I don't recommend it. To really gin the expertise that are needed to actually run a farm you will need to go to University and learn about the more complicated side of Farming in the UK. There is a lot of legislation in the UK which all farmers must know. I recommend Harper Adams University. Not only because I go there, but because it is the best Agricultural University in the UK. I wouldn't recommend RAU. That is the university where historic landowners go (those who have had farms in their families for generations). And it is full dickheads.

As for obtaining a farm, your best bet would be a tenancy, as buying a 300 acre farm out right would cost around the £3 million mark at the rate the market is increasing. Unless you have £3 million lying around. The current market is roughly £9,000 per acre, but it has been rising quite significantly over recent years and it isn't set to drop any time soon. A year tenancy would cost around £25,000 a year. These are averages and may vary depending on what you want to farm and where.

Now as far as the county is concerned, it really depends on what you want to farm. As certain crops such as sugar beet can only be produced in certain areas of the country (I believe it is around Norfolk, but don't quote me on that). This is due to the refining of the sugar and the nearest processing plants.

So you tell me what you want to farm and I can try and recommend you a good place to start. I hope this helps.

Im from west lancs area. And i was thinking Reaseheath College in Cheshire. I would like cattle mainly as i spent first 9 years of my life around them! Not sure which is much better, beef or milk? Also when u sell bull how much would you get for it as in poland its 5,62zł for a kilo x 800kg or example gives you nearly 6,000.

I know sugar beets is mainly down south as thats where the sugar factories are arent they? Wheat, barley, rye, corn, alfalfa. I know how to grow all this and all sorts about them!!

Little fact: these days 6 year old kids are on smartphones playing games, when i was Their age i was learning how to drive a tractor in a field with my family!!! Haha
Im from west lancs area. And i was thinking Reaseheath College in Cheshire. I would like cattle mainly as i spent first 9 years of my life around them! Not sure which is much better, beef or milk? Also when u sell bull how much would you get for it as in poland its 5,62zł for a kilo x 800kg or example gives you nearly 6,000.

I know sugar beets is mainly down south as thats where the sugar factories are arent they? Wheat, barley, rye, corn, alfalfa. I know how to grow all this and all sorts about them!!

Little fact: these days 6 year old kids are on smartphones playing games, when i was Their age i was learning how to drive a tractor in a field with my family!!! Haha

I would recommend Beef, dairy is a hassle unless you really love it. Reaseheath is a very good college, and I believe it has associations with Harper Adams University. (http://www.harper-adams.ac.uk/undergraduate/reaseheath.cfm)

Current Beef price for a Bull (deadweight) is aboit 330 p/kg, so 3.3 x 800 = £2640. Rough estimates of course.

Yeah the sugar beet processing plants are all in the south. It will be worth while for you to go to University having completed your college course, as there are so many things to learn about agriculture.

I'm not actually a farmer, nor am I studying to agriculture. But it is good to see interest in agriculture, someone has to feed this country.
I would recommend Beef, dairy is a hassle unless you really love it. Reaseheath is a very good college, and I believe it has associations with Harper Adams University. (http://www.harper-adams.ac.uk/undergraduate/reaseheath.cfm)

Current Beef price for a Bull (deadweight) is aboit 330 p/kg, so 3.3 x 800 = £2640. Rough estimates of course.

Yeah the sugar beet processing plants are all in the south. It will be worth while for you to go to University having completed your college course, as there are so many things to learn about agriculture.

I'm not actually a farmer, nor am I studying to agriculture. But it is good to see interest in agriculture, someone has to feed this country.

I know What dairy is like. Much more work as my uncle has dairy farm back in poland but he has only 40 cows. 34 hectares.

I remember telling my grandad that i want to start up a farm when im older. He used to say "see atleast one of our grand children wants to do what ive done all my life!" Haha there is 6 of us Cousins.

You know ive Loved farming all my life. Used to go to people all around village in poland, go for tractor rides, try Help with cattle. Just something ive Loved all my life.
I know What dairy is like. Much more work as my uncle has dairy farm back in poland but he has only 40 cows. 34 hectares.

40? Is that the biggest dairy herd you have worked with?
40? Is that the biggest dairy herd you have worked with?

Yes as most people in my region in poland focused on beef and pigs. Sugar beet is very popular around there as nearest sugar factory is less than 5km away.
Good luck to you, this is certainly different to the threads we normally get here.
Original post by Tokyoround
Good luck to you, this is certainly different to the threads we normally get here.

Is that good or not then?

Very good, most people use this subforum as an alternative to Google
Yes as most people in my region in poland focused on beef and pigs. Sugar beet is very popular around there as nearest sugar factory is less than 5km away.

I wouldn't go into dairy farming ever. I worked on a herd of 3000 for a week and then gave up for life. Stick to beef, sheep and arable.
Original post by Tokyoround

It's actually gotten some of the most coherent and sensible replies I've ever seen on a TSR thread. TSR, ****e for university and white collar career advice - great for agriculture. Who knew.

Hi i was in a farm in poland too :smile:

Jak tam?:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by German123
Hi i was in a farm in poland too :smile:

Jak tam?:smile:

Cześć! Z którego województwa jesteś?
Cześć! Z którego województwa jesteś?

Ja sie urodzilam w Warszawie

sorry my polish is not 100% good eventhough i was born in poland due to the fact that i have not been there for a long time now.:smile:

i know this was not directed at me but may i ask are you going to to do polish GCSE?:smile:
Original post by German123
i know this was not directed at me but may i ask are you going to to do polish GCSE?:smile:

School wont let me. Because i know english Perfectly. Absolute joke

Quick Reply

Latest