The Student Room Group

showing that a set S in not a rational interval

Hi,

Let

S:={xQx22}S := \{x \in \mathbb{Q} | x^2 \leq 2\}

Show that SS has the property that if x,ySx, y \in S and xzyx \leq z \leq y then also zSz \in S. Show also that SS is not a rational interval - that is, there does not exist a,bQa,b \in \mathbb{Q} such that

S={xQa<x<b}S = \{ x \in \mathbb{Q} | a < x < b \}

or S={xQaxb}S = \{ x \in \mathbb{Q} | a \leq x \leq b \}

or any one of the other possibilities for an interval.

Now I think I've managed to do the first part of this question and perhaps the second but I'm unsure with both of them whether I have gone into enough detail and presented it in the right way.

For the first part I said:

We know that x,ySx, y \in S which implies that x22x^2 \leq 2 and y22y^2 \leq 2. As xzyx \leq z \leq y then this implies that z22z^2 \leq 2 and therefore zSz \in S. Is this sufficient for the first part?

For the second part I was thinking of a sort of proof by contradiction? Firstly, assume that mn\dfrac{m}{n} is the biggest fraction below 2\sqrt{2}. Now surely a number that is bigger that mn\dfrac{m}{n} but less than 2\sqrt{2} is

12(mn+2)\dfrac{1}{2}(\dfrac{m}{n} + \sqrt{2})

Therefore for any rational less than 2\sqrt{2} I can generate a bigger one that's still less than 2\sqrt{2}, there is therefore no possible value of b in

S={xQa<x<b}S = \{ x \in \mathbb{Q} | a < x < b \}

that would work. Is this sufficient for the second part? Have I expressed it in the correct way?

Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by so it goes
For the first part I said:

We know that x,ySx, y \in S which implies that x22x^2 \leq 2 and y22y^2 \leq 2. As xzyx \leq z \leq y then this implies that z22z^2 \leq 2 and therefore zSz \in S. Is this sufficient for the first part?I'd say it's questionable. You should be very uneasy of your proof if you don't actually "do" anything in it. By which I mean, all you've done is taken what they've told you, and said it implies something and that means the result is true.

Now sometimes that is completely valid (sometimes you just need to point out the obvious), but I'm unconvinced here.

There's a certain amount of subtlety here, basically because x^2 is not monotonic, so x < y doesn't automatically imply x^2 < y^2. Everything you've said is true, but you're making the examiner do the work of deciding "yes, it really is true", and i don't think that's right here.

I would divide into two cases:

if 0 <= z, then 0 < z < y and so 0 < z^2 < y^2 < 2, so z^2 < 2.
If 0 > z, then .. (I'll leave this one for you).

For the second part I was thinking of a sort of proof by contradiction? Firstly, assume that mn\dfrac{m}{n} is the biggest fraction below 2\sqrt{2}. Now surely a number that is bigger that mn\dfrac{m}{n} but less than 2\sqrt{2} is

Therefore for any rational less than 2\sqrt{2} I can generate a bigger one that's still less than 2\sqrt{2}.
It's not particularly clear that you can do this, because the number you have just provided is not rational, and therefore isn't a member of S.

Now I'm not sure how your course is approaching this; I'm used to the approach that essentially says "you can't assume irrational numbers exist (as things you can calculate with etc)". In which case the number you've written "isn't allowed" and you need a different approach.

If your course is allowing you to talk about irrational numbers, then you can argue / prove that if a and b are real numbers with a < b, then there is always a rational number between a and b. (Exactly how you do this depends on exactly how you define or think of irrational numbers, but you could, for instance, consider the decimal expansions of a, b and truncate at the first point where they differ to get rational numbers a*, b* with a<=a* <=b* <=b. Then (a*+b*)/2 will be between a and b).

The rest of your argument is fine (and the way you're supposed to do it).

Therefore for any rational less than 2\sqrt{2} I can generate a bigger one that's still less than 2\sqrt{2}

You haven't generated a rational, so this is no good.

The various cases make it a bit messy, I guess, but you want to show that for all {bQ:b2<2}\{b \in \mathbb{Q} : b^2 < 2\}, you can find cQ>bc \in \mathbb{Q} > b such that c2<2c^2 < 2

Since cc will clearly only be a "bit" bigger than bb, write:

c=b+ϵc=b+\epsilon with ϵQ,0<ϵ<1\epsilon \in \mathbb{Q}, 0 < \epsilon < 1

so

c2=(b+ϵ)2=b2+2bϵ+ϵ2=b2+ϵ(2b+ϵ)<b2+ϵ(2b+1)c^2 = (b+\epsilon)^2 = b^2+2b\epsilon + \epsilon^2 = b^2 +\epsilon(2b+\epsilon) < b^2 + \epsilon(2b+1)

Now what condition must hold on ϵ\epsilon?
Reply 3
Original post by DFranklin
I'd say it's questionable. You should be very uneasy of your proof if you don't actually "do" anything in it. By which I mean, all you've done is taken what they've told you, and said it implies something and that means the result is true.

Now sometimes that is completely valid (sometimes you just need to point out the obvious), but I'm unconvinced here.

There's a certain amount of subtlety here, basically because x^2 is not monotonic, so x < y doesn't automatically imply x^2 < y^2. Everything you've said is true, but you're making the examiner do the work of deciding "yes, it really is true", and i don't think that's right here.

It's not particularly clear that you can do this, because the number you have just provided is not rational, and therefore isn't a member of S.

Now I'm not sure how your course is approaching this; I'm used to the approach that essentially says "you can't assume irrational numbers exist (as things you can calculate with etc)". In which case the number you've written "isn't allowed" and you need a different approach.

If your course is allowing you to talk about irrational numbers, then you can argue / prove that if a and b are real numbers with a < b, then there is always a rational number between a and b. (Exactly how you do this depends on exactly how you define or think of irrational numbers, but you could, for instance, consider the decimal expansions of a, b and truncate at the first point where they differ to get rational numbers a*, b* with a<=a* <=b* <=b. Then (a*+b*)/2 will be between a and b).

Original post by atsruser

The various cases make it a bit messy, I guess, but you want to show that for all {bQ:b2<2}\{b \in \mathbb{Q} : b^2 < 2\}, you can find cQ>bc \in \mathbb{Q} > b such that c2<2c^2 < 2

so

c2=(b+ϵ)2=b2+2bϵ+ϵ2=b2+ϵ(2b+ϵ)<b2+ϵ(2b+1)c^2 = (b+\epsilon)^2 = b^2+2b\epsilon + \epsilon^2 = b^2 +\epsilon(2b+\epsilon) < b^2 + \epsilon(2b+1)

Ahh okay, thank you - I feel silly for missing a mistake that obvious. I'm just reading some lecture notes and trying the exercises but I still haven't got the hang of it. I'll see if I can make any headway with this now :smile:
Sorry atsruser but for some reason I can't up-vote your comment.
Thanks again.
Reply 4
I'd say it's questionable. You should be very uneasy of your proof if you don't actually "do" anything in it. By which I mean, all you've done is taken what they've told you, and said it implies something and that means the result is true.

For z<0z < 0 I said:

z<0z<0
x<z<0\Rightarrow x<z<0
0<z2<x2<2\Rightarrow 0 < z^2 < x^2 < 2
z2<2\Rightarrow z^2 < 2

Is that okay for the first part?

so

For the second part I'm really not too sure. What you've written makes sense but I'm not too sure where I should go with it. I tried

c2<b2+ϵ(2b+1)<2+ϵ(2b+1)c^2 < b^2 + \epsilon (2b + 1) < 2 + \epsilon (2b + 1)

But I just can't see how that could help me. I think I might need another hint, thank you :smile:

For the second part I'm really not too sure. What you've written makes sense but I'm not too sure where I should go with it. I tried

c2<b2+ϵ(2b+1)<2+ϵ(2b+1)c^2 < b^2 + \epsilon (2b + 1) < 2 + \epsilon (2b + 1)

But I just can't see how that could help me. I think I might need another hint, thank you :smile:

Well, you identified that the bQb \in \mathbb{Q} must be less than or equal to 2\sqrt{2} (though you haven't proved it), or equivalently that b22b^2 \le 2. This follows since if we had 2<b2<b2\sqrt{2} < b \Rightarrow 2 < b^2 then we could find uQu \in \mathbb{Q} with 2<u<b22 < u < b^2 (why?) so with x2=ux^2 = u then xx could not be in S.

Now you want to show that for any such choice of bb, you can find xS x \in S with x>bx > b, contradicting the suggested hypothesis.

I suggested that you consider c=b+ϵc = b+\epsilon where 0<ϵ<10 < \epsilon < 1 is some rather small rational quantity. We want to find out just how small it has to be so that not only b2b^2 but also c2<2c^2 < 2.

I showed that *c2<b2+ϵ(2b+1)c^2 < b^2 + \epsilon(2b+1)*. You want, however, c2<2c^2 < 2.

1. What do you need to stick on the end of the starred inequality to ensure that?
2. Once you have stuck that thing on, you have a condition that ϵ\epsilon must satisfy. Find that condition in the form:

ϵ<something depending only on b\epsilon < \text{something depending only on b}

3. Now you've found the condition for ϵ\epsilon, write the argument in the correct order.

[I've edited this about 8 times - I hope it now makes sense]
Reply 6
Well, you identified that the bQb \in \mathbb{Q} must be less than or equal to 2\sqrt{2} (though you haven't proved it), or equivalently that b22b^2 \le 2. This follows since if we had 2<b2<b2\sqrt{2} < b \Rightarrow 2 < b^2 then we could find uQu \in \mathbb{Q} with 2<u<b22 < u < b^2 (why?) so with x2=ux^2 = u then xx could not be in S.

Can we find the uQu \in \mathbb{Q} where 2<u<b22 < u < b^2 with the same idea I used before? By saying

u=2+b22u = \dfrac{2+b^2}{2}

So if

x2=ux^2 = u

x=2+b22\Rightarrow x = \dfrac{\sqrt{2+b^2}}{\sqrt{2}}

which is not rational and so xx is not in SS? Is that correct? If so I'm really sorry but I don't really see what it's getting at because isn't my x2x^2 supposed to be less than or equal to 22 but here it's greater than, so I'm guessing a proof by contradiction? I feel I'm misunderstanding this part.

Now you want to show that for any such choice of bb, you can find xS x \in S with x>bx > b, contradicting the suggested hypothesis.

I suggested that you consider c=b+ϵc = b+\epsilon where 0<ϵ<10 < \epsilon < 1 is some rather small rational quantity. We want to find out just how small it has to be so that not only b2b^2 but also c2<2c^2 < 2.

I showed that *c2<b2+ϵ(2b+1)c^2 < b^2 + \epsilon(2b+1)*. You want, however, c2<2c^2 < 2.

All of this makes perfect sense.

1. What do you need to stick on the end of the starred inequality to ensure that?

Could I just say:

c2<b2+ϵ(2b+1)<2...(1)c^2 < b^2 + \epsilon (2b+1) < 2 ... (1)

2. Once you have stuck that thing on, you have a condition that ϵ\epsilon must satisfy. Find that condition in the form:

ϵ<something depending only on b\epsilon < \text{something depending only on b}

So if I rearrange equation (1)(1) I get:

ϵ(2b+1)<2b2\epsilon (2b+1) < 2 - b^2

for 12<b-\frac{1}{2} < b then ϵ<2b22b+1\epsilon < \dfrac{ 2 - b^2}{2b+1}

but if b<12b < -\frac{1}{2} then ϵ>2b22b+1\epsilon > \dfrac{2 - b^2}{2b + 1}

If we assume b<12b < -\frac{1}{2}:

c>b+2b22b+1\Rightarrow c > b + \dfrac{2 - b^2}{2b + 1}

As we know that 2<b<12-\sqrt{2} < b < -\frac{1}{2} we know that 2b22 - b^2 is always positive. However, we'll be diving it by 2b+12b +1 which is negative and so 2b22b+1\dfrac{2 - b^2}{2b +1} is negative, meaning b+2b22b+1b + \dfrac{2 - b^2}{2b +1} is always less than bb and so c>c > "some number less than bb". This doesn't seem helpful.

If we assume 12<b-\frac{1}{2}<b then c<b+2b22b+1c < b + \dfrac{2 - b^2}{2b +1}. We know that 12<b<2-\dfrac{1}{2} < b < \sqrt{2} and so 2b22b+1\dfrac{2 - b^2}{2b +1 } is always positive and so c<c < "some number more than bb". This also doesn't seem helpful.

I must be missing something but I can't spot what.

[I've edited this about 8 times - I hope it now makes sense]

Thank you very much! I really appreciate this :biggrin: I doubt I'd be able to figure this out with just the books.
so it goes
The case b < -1/2 (or indeed b < 0) is a non-issue. If b < 0, then just take c = 0 to get c > b but c^2 < 2.

What this is "really about" is saying that S doesn't have a maximal element. That is, it's not possible to find bSb \in S with b >= s for all s in S. I know I said "don't assume irrational numbers exist", but since you do know about irrationals, it's fine to use them as a guide about whats going on. So that said, we know that ideally, b "should be" 2\sqrt{2}, but since it's rational, we're mentally thinking the only thing that can work is if b is very close to 2\sqrt{2}.

So the key argument is what happens when b is close to 2\sqrt{2}. Now what often happens at this point is that the argument will need to use the fact that "b is close to \sqrt{2}" (so you might rely on the fact that b is positive, or that b is < 2, for example). You should still "close the gaps" by showing "we don't have to worry about what happens when b < 0 etc", but that's not really the key point here].
(edited 9 years ago)
I think I'd approach it like this:

1. We have S={xQ:x2<2}S=\{ x \in \mathbb{Q} : x^2 < 2 \}

Since f(x)=x2f(x) = x^2 is an even function, we can say by symmetry that if SS were a rational interval then it must look like S={xQ:bxb}S= \{ x \in \mathbb{Q} : -b \le x \le b \} i.e. whereas the question suggested an interval of the form axba \le x \le b, we don't, in fact, need to think about this any more.

2. Now we can concentrate on {xQ:0<xb}\{x \in \mathbb{Q} : 0 < x \le b \} and when we've sorted out this part of the set, we can fix up the arguments for the negative values (which should be trivial by symmetry).

3. We now use our intuition to reason that the only candidate for bb is 2\sqrt{2}. We must have one of:

b<2b2<2b < \sqrt{2} \Rightarrow b^2 < 2
b=2b2=2b = \sqrt{2} \Rightarrow b^2 = 2
b>2b2>2b > \sqrt{2} \Rightarrow b^2 > 2

But b=2Qb=\sqrt{2} \notin \mathbb{Q}, we can rule this out as a candidate. We now have to rule out the other two candidate ranges too.

4. For the case b2<2b^2 < 2, we can proceed as I suggested. I'll now fill in the details as I think you were getting a little lost.

We want to show that for any bb with b2<2b^2 < 2, we can find c>bc > b with cQ,c2<2c \in \mathbb{Q}, c^2 < 2 i.e. now matter how close b2b^2 is to 2, then we can always fit another square rational in between it and 2.

We are thinking only about the range 0<x<b0 < x < b, remember. So consider 0<c=b+ϵ0 < c = b+\epsilon with 0<ϵ<10 < \epsilon < 1. Then

c2=(b+ϵ)2=b2+2bϵ+ϵ2=b2+ϵ(2b+ϵ)<b2+ϵ(2b+1)c^2 = (b+\epsilon)^2 = b^2 + 2b\epsilon + \epsilon^2 = b^2 +\epsilon(2b+\epsilon) < b^2 +\epsilon(2b+1)

Now if ϵ<2b22b+1\epsilon < \frac{2-b^2}{2b+1} then c2<b2+ϵ(2b+1)<b2+2b22b+1(2b+1)=2c^2 < b^2 + \epsilon(2b+1) < b^2 +\frac{2-b^2}{2b+1}(2b+1) = 2

So with that value for ϵ\epsilon we can ensure that b<cb < c and c2<2c^2 < 2 and cQc \in \mathbb{Q} (since 0<c=b+ϵ0 < c = b+\epsilon).

Note that it looked like I pulled the value for ϵ\epsilon out of a hat, but I showed the justification in an earlier post.

So no rational bb with b2<2b^2 < 2 will allow us to define the interval.

5. We now must rule out the case with b2>2b^2 > 2. I handwaved this a bit in an earlier post (with at least one logical error), but I think that you can make a very similar argument to that which I've given above: that if b2>2b^2 > 2 then you can find b2>c2>2b^2 > c^2 > 2 i.e. that the hypothesised interval will admit points that do not meet the definition of SS.

I'll leave the details to you as an exercise.

6. You also need to tidy up the "negative values can be dealt with by symmetry" argument, I guess, and check that I'm right about that.
Reply 9
The case b < -1/2 (or indeed b < 0) is a non-issue. If b < 0, then just take c = 0 to get c > b but c^2 < 2.

What this is "really about" is saying that S doesn't have a maximal element. That is, it's not possible to find bSb \in S with b >= s for all s in S. I know I said "don't assume irrational numbers exist", but since you do know about irrationals, it's fine to use them as a guide about whats going on. So that said, we know that ideally, b "should be" 2\sqrt{2}, but since it's rational, we're mentally thinking the only thing that can work is if b is very close to 2\sqrt{2}.

So the key argument is what happens when b is close to 2\sqrt{2}. Now what often happens at this point is that the argument will need to use the fact that "b is close to \sqrt{2}" (so you might rely on the fact that b is positive, or that b is < 2, for example). You should still "close the gaps" by showing "we don't have to worry about what happens when b < 0 etc", but that's not really the key point here].

Ahh, okay thank you. I don't know why I'm finding it so tricky to wrap my head around this question :smile:

Thanks again!
Reply 10
I think I'd approach it like this:

1. We have S={xQ:x2<2}S=\{ x \in \mathbb{Q} : x^2 < 2 \}

Since f(x)=x2f(x) = x^2 is an even function, we can say by symmetry that if SS were a rational interval then it must look like S={xQ:bxb}S= \{ x \in \mathbb{Q} : -b \le x \le b \} i.e. whereas the question suggested an interval of the form axba \le x \le b, we don't, in fact, need to think about this any more.

2. Now we can concentrate on {xQ:0<xb}\{x \in \mathbb{Q} : 0 < x \le b \} and when we've sorted out this part of the set, we can fix up the arguments for the negative values (which should be trivial by symmetry).

3. We now use our intuition to reason that the only candidate for bb is 2\sqrt{2}. We must have one of:

b<2b2<2b < \sqrt{2} \Rightarrow b^2 < 2
b=2b2=2b = \sqrt{2} \Rightarrow b^2 = 2
b>2b2>2b > \sqrt{2} \Rightarrow b^2 > 2

But b=2Qb=\sqrt{2} \notin \mathbb{Q}, we can rule this out as a candidate. We now have to rule out the other two candidate ranges too.

4. For the case b2<2b^2 < 2, we can proceed as I suggested. I'll now fill in the details as I think you were getting a little lost.

We want to show that for any bb with b2<2b^2 < 2, we can find c>bc > b with cQ,c2<2c \in \mathbb{Q}, c^2 < 2 i.e. now matter how close b2b^2 is to 2, then we can always fit another square rational in between it and 2.

We are thinking only about the range 0<x<b0 < x < b, remember. So consider 0<c=b+ϵ0 < c = b+\epsilon with 0<ϵ<10 < \epsilon < 1. Then

c2=(b+ϵ)2=b2+2bϵ+ϵ2=b2+ϵ(2b+ϵ)<b2+ϵ(2b+1)c^2 = (b+\epsilon)^2 = b^2 + 2b\epsilon + \epsilon^2 = b^2 +\epsilon(2b+\epsilon) < b^2 +\epsilon(2b+1)

Now if ϵ<2b22b+1\epsilon < \frac{2-b^2}{2b+1} then c2<b2+ϵ(2b+1)<b2+2b22b+1(2b+1)=2c^2 < b^2 + \epsilon(2b+1) < b^2 +\frac{2-b^2}{2b+1}(2b+1) = 2

So with that value for ϵ\epsilon we can ensure that b<cb < c and c2<2c^2 < 2 and cQc \in \mathbb{Q} (since 0<c=b+ϵ0 < c = b+\epsilon).

Note that it looked like I pulled the value for ϵ\epsilon out of a hat, but I showed the justification in an earlier post.

So no rational bb with b2<2b^2 < 2 will allow us to define the interval.

Ahh that's clever, thank you. I think I understand up to this point.

5. We now must rule out the case with b2>2b^2 > 2. I handwaved this a bit in an earlier post (with at least one logical error), but I think that you can make a very similar argument to that which I've given above: that if b2>2b^2 > 2 then you can find b2>c2>2b^2 > c^2 > 2 i.e. that the hypothesised interval will admit points that do not meet the definition of SS.

What I don't understand is this point. Why do I need to worry about b2>2b^2 > 2 when isn't it defined in the question that b2b^2 must be less than 22 to be in the set SS? What am I missing?

Thank you again, and sorry I'm struggling so much with this.
Reply 11

Would it be possible for me to approach the problem like this?

If b2<2b^2 < 2 let μ=2b2\mu = 2 - b^2

Now can't I find some number less than μ\mu by expressing it as 1n\dfrac{1}{n} which I can make as small as I like by increasing nn sufficiently?

I will then have found b2<b2+1n<2b^2 < b^2 + \dfrac{1}{n} < 2

I'm pretty sure this isn't rigorous enough to be a proper proof but is it a possible way of solving this? Or will this end up being the same as the one before, except I've re-written ϵ\epsilon as 1n\dfrac{1}{n}?

Thank you :smile:
Why do I need to worry about b2>2b^2 > 2 when isn't it defined in the question that b2b^2 must be less than 22 to be in the set SS? What am I missing?So, forget all the sqrt(2) stuff, and think about how we describe intervals.

If I have T = {x : 0 < x < 1}, then I can't find values a, b in T s.t. T = (a, b) (or [a, b], etc).
But I can still write T as the interval (0, 1), even though 0 and 1 aren't members of T.

So you need to show something similar can't happen with S.

Would it be possible for me to approach the problem like this?

If b2<2b^2 < 2 let μ=2b2\mu = 2 - b^2

Now can't I find some number less than μ\mu by expressing it as 1n\dfrac{1}{n} which I can make as small as I like by increasing nn sufficiently?

I will then have found b2<b2+1n<2b^2 < b^2 + \dfrac{1}{n} < 2You're showing you can add something small to b^2 and keep b^2 less than 2, but you need to show you can add something small to b and keep b^2 less that 2.

What I don't understand is this point. Why do I need to worry about b2>2b^2 > 2 when isn't it defined in the question that b2b^2 must be less than 22 to be in the set SS? What am I missing?

We want to show that no bQb \in \mathbb{Q} exists such that the set SS can be written in the form S={xQ:bxb}S=\{ x \in \mathbb{Q} : -b \le x \le b \}

We have already dismissed the possibilities b22b^2 \le 2. The only remaining possibility is that b2>2b^2 > 2. We want to make the argument that no matter how close b2b^2 may be to 2, it still isn't close enough to stop us finding a rational xQ:x<b,x2>2x \in \mathbb{Q} : x < b, x^2 > 2.

If we can do that, then by the first inequality, we have x<bxSx < b \Rightarrow x \in S, but by the second x2>2xSx^2 > 2 \Rightarrow x \notin S which is a contradiction, which tells us that our hypothesis that such a bb exists is false.

At this point, you may say that it is "obvious" that if b2>2b^2 > 2 then we can find such an xx, but would you be happy making that argument to a scary maths professor in an Oxford tutorial? Bear in mind that in maths, if you say that something is "obvious", what you really mean is that the proof is so trivial that it can be stated with no further thought. In this case, I don't think that the proof is obvious; in fact, I think it's of precisely the same difficulty as the statement that says that if b2<2b^2 < 2 then we can find x>b,x2<2x > b, x^2 < 2.

Note that you may claim that since both b2Q,2Qb^2 \in \mathbb{Q}, 2 \in \mathbb{Q}, then you can certainly find a rational u:2<u<b2u : 2 < u < b^2. But in fact that's not good enough: we need to find a rational x2:2<x2<b2x^2 : 2 < x^2 < b^2 and for that I think we need to prove it.

Thank you again, and sorry I'm struggling so much with this.

There's no need to apologise. This is incredibly tricky stuff and these kinds of arguments require a totally different set of skills to the ones that you learn at A level.
(edited 9 years ago)

I will then have found b2<b2+1n<2b^2 < b^2 + \dfrac{1}{n} < 2

As Dfranklin pointed out, this is no good. You're making the same error that I made earlier (though I didn't notice it at the time).

You want to find b<xb < x with xQx \in \mathbb{Q} and x2<2x^2 < 2.

This is not the same as finding b2<u<2b^2 < u < 2 with uQu \in \mathbb{Q} since this does not imply that x=ux = \sqrt{u} is in Q\mathbb{Q}.

You can approach it this way, but you would have to show that you can find b2<p2/q2<2b^2 < p^2/q^2 < 2 with p,qQp,q \in \mathbb{Q} since then x=p2/q2=p/qQx = \sqrt{p^2/q^2} = p/q \in \mathbb{Q}.
Reply 15
So, forget all the sqrt(2) stuff, and think about how we describe intervals.

If I have T = {x : 0 < x < 1}, then I can't find values a, b in T s.t. T = (a, b) (or [a, b], etc).
But I can still write T as the interval (0, 1), even though 0 and 1 aren't members of T.

So you need to show something similar can't happen with S.

You're showing you can add something small to b^2 and keep b^2 less than 2, but you need to show you can add something small to b and keep b^2 less that 2.

Ahh, okay. I think I understand these points now. Thank you :smile:
Reply 16
We want to show that no bQb \in \mathbb{Q} exists such that the set SS can be written in the form S={xQ:bxb}S=\{ x \in \mathbb{Q} : -b \le x \le b \}

We have already dismissed the possibilities b22b^2 \le 2. The only remaining possibility is that b2>2b^2 > 2. We want to make the argument that no matter how close b2b^2 may be to 2, it still isn't close enough to stop us finding a rational xQ:x<b,x2>2x \in \mathbb{Q} : x < b, x^2 > 2.

If we can do that, then by the first inequality, we have x<bxSx < b \Rightarrow x \in S, but by the second x2>2xSx^2 > 2 \Rightarrow x \notin S which is a contradiction, which tells us that our hypothesis that such a bb exists is false.

Okay, so if I'm understanding this correctly would it look something like this?

2<x2<b22 < x^2 < b^2 or 2<x<b\sqrt{2} < x < b

let x=bϵx = b - \epsilon where ϵQ\epsilon \in \mathbb{Q} and 0<ϵ<10<\epsilon < 1

x2=(bϵ)2\Rightarrow x^2 = (b - \epsilon)^2

2<b22bϵ+ϵ2\Rightarrow 2 < b^2 - 2b\epsilon + \epsilon ^2

2<b2+ϵ(ϵ2b)\Rightarrow 2 < b^2 + \epsilon (\epsilon - 2b) but 0<ϵ<10 < \epsilon <1

2<b2+ϵ(12b)\Rightarrow 2 < b^2 + \epsilon (1 -2b)

Unparseable latex formula:

\Right \epsilon > \dfrac{2 - b^2}{1 - 2b}

x>b2b212b\Rightarrow x > b - \dfrac{2 - b^2}{1 - 2b}

x>(b2)(b+1)2b1\Rightarrow x > \dfrac{(b-2)(b+1)}{2b - 1}

x2>(b2)2(b+1)2(2b1)2\Rightarrow x^2 > \dfrac{(b-2)^2 (b+1)^2}{(2b - 1)^2}

Now, if we assume bSb \in S then xSx \in S as x<bx < b and xx is rational.

However, x2>2x^2 > 2 therefore x∉Sx \not\in S

We therefore have a contradiction, meaning our original assumption was wrong, therefore b∉Sb \not\in S if b2>2b^2 >2

Have I understood you correctly?

As Dfranklin pointed out, this is no good. You're making the same error that I made earlier (though I didn't notice it at the time).

You want to find b<xb < x with xQx \in \mathbb{Q} and x2<2x^2 < 2.

This is not the same as finding b2<u<2b^2 < u < 2 with uQu \in \mathbb{Q} since this does not imply that x=ux = \sqrt{u} is in Q\mathbb{Q}.

You can approach it this way, but you would have to show that you can find b2<p2/q2<2b^2 < p^2/q^2 < 2 with p,qQp,q \in \mathbb{Q} since then x=p2/q2=p/qQx = \sqrt{p^2/q^2} = p/q \in \mathbb{Q}.

Yes that makes sense. Hopefully I've understood this as well as I think and havn't made this mistake in my above work.

Thank you.
Have I understood you correctly?IYou're close, but your argument gets quite confused towards the end,. The problem I have with what is that the "real" assumption (i.e. the thing we're going to show isn't true) is:

"S can be written in the form {x : -b <= x <= b} for some rational b > 2".

And then at the end you've said "if we assume bSb \in S then ... contradiction".

So you've made a second assumption and got a contradiction. Now in this case, it's actually obvious that the second assumption follows from the first (since we're claiming S is of the form {x: -b <= x <= b} is obvious that b is in S).

But you actually need to prove it for all types of interval (e.g. {x : -b < x < b}, {x : -b <= x < b} etc), at which point you're making two contradictory assumptions and everything falls down.

[It's actually trivial to fix this: why make the second assumption at all?]
Reply 18
IYou're close, but your argument gets quite confused towards the end,. The problem I have with what is that the "real" assumption (i.e. the thing we're going to show isn't true) is:

"S can be written in the form {x : -b <= x <= b} for some rational b > 2".

And then at the end you've said "if we assume bSb \in S then ... contradiction".

So you've made a second assumption and got a contradiction. Now in this case, it's actually obvious that the second assumption follows from the first (since we're claiming S is of the form {x: -b <= x <= b} is obvious that b is in S).

But you actually need to prove it for all types of interval (e.g. {x : -b < x < b}, {x : -b <= x < b} etc), at which point you're making two contradictory assumptions and everything falls down.

[It's actually trivial to fix this: why make the second assumption at all?]

Ahh okay, so instead of saying this at the end:

Now, if we assume bSb \in S then xSx \in S as x<bx < b and xx is rational.

However, x2>2x^2 > 2 therefore x∉Sx \not\in S

We therefore have a contradiction, meaning our original assumption was wrong, therefore b∉Sb \not\in S if b2>2b^2 >2

Should it be more like this?

x2>2x^2 > 2 therefore x∉Sx \not\in S

as 2<x2<b22<x^2<b^2 this implies that b∉Sb \not\in S

Does that work?

Thank you so much for this! :smile:
Ahh okay, so instead of saying this at the end:

Should it be more like this?

x2>2x^2 > 2 therefore x∉Sx \not\in S

as 2<x2<b22<x^2<b^2 this implies that b∉Sb \not\in SNo. Why do you care whether b is in S?

Quick Reply

Latest