The Student Room Group

Official gap year thread- 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

I have until tonight really to decide if I want to defer last minute, if I do is just working for the majority of the year a waste of time ?
Original post by The Monk
I have until tonight really to decide if I want to defer last minute, if I do is just working for the majority of the year a waste of time ?

Yes
Original post by Glen_Nichols
Yes

I'm still thinking of this just because I feel I need a break from education and don't feel "ready" for Uni but if I did just work would the Uni or future employers disapprove of just spending a year working ?
Im incredibly indecisive and my accommodation offer expires tonight :frown:
Original post by The Monk
I'm still thinking of this just because I feel I need a break from education and don't feel "ready" for Uni but if I did just work would the Uni or future employers disapprove of just spending a year working ?
Im incredibly indecisive and my accommodation offer expires tonight :frown:

If a break from education is desperately needed then go for it. No working wouldn't looked down upon at all, but it can become beneficial if you find work experience that interests you
Reply 24
I think working would be looked on favourably, getting more real world experience. And when you do go to uni, you will be a better person for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Natz04
How did you go about arranging the China trip? I absolutely love everything Japan and would love to do the same thing in Japan!

I fortunately have some close friends who know other close friends in China who work there. They've agreed to help out and we'll be meeting with each other early September
I'm not sure what I'm doing can be classified as a gap year since I left school in 2007, but I had to apply for a deferred entry. My plans so far don't extend beyond going to stay with my grandparents in France for the winter. I might self-study an extra A level for fun. Is anyone else planning a relativity quiet gap year?
(edited 9 years ago)
Hello fellow "Gappies"
I'm going to keep this brief because otherwise I'll probably go off on one and start writing masses and masses! I applied for Adult Nursing and then realised that the career was not for me and decided that I want to become an Occupational Therapist. I am now in my second month of gap year and its been amazing:
1) Completed my A Levels in Biology, Psychology and Health and Social Care
2) Undergone work experience for a week at two placements, shadowing Occupational Therapists
3) Underwent a Summer University Course at the University of West England!
4) Collected my A Level Results
5) Went out drinking for the First time :biggrin:
6) Volunteered at the IPC Athletics European Championships (last week)
7) Received a Job as a Health Care Assistant at Singleton Hospital (yet to start, waiting for Admin to send paper work)

My Future Gap Year Plans at the moment (no particular order):
1) Volunteer and Walk the Memory Walk, raising money for Alzheimer's Disease
2) Trip to London
3) Race for Life at Cardiff
4) Start my job at Singleton Hospital for 6 months (due to contract)
5) Apply to university and attend open days and interviews
6) Undergo some online courses
7) Complete the Gold Millenium Award
8) Collect my Gold D of E certificate from Buckingham Palace
9) Maybe do some sort of travelling
10) Organise my own International Night to raise money for Alzheimer's Research
11) Vitalise Volunteering in Southampton

Any other suggestions for my gap year guys, I really looking for some amazing ideas to make this the best year of my life!
Original post by smallguy
Are you resitting or just reapplying? Sounds cool!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't really want to resit anything but will call up the universities and see what they think. I'm hoping the work experience should compensate for the grades if you see what I mean.
I'm on a forced gap year essentially. Can't get student finance despite being a British citizen. Trying to find work, had a few interviews and just waiting for the right job to come along.

Attending Queen Mary in London to study English in September 2015 though, so luckily I've got my place at uni.
Reply 30
Wow, everyone's gap years sound so exciting! I didn't know I was even doing a gap year until results day...

I'm doing resits this year. And I'm in the process of finding a job. I think I got quite lucky, I applied to two places and I have interviews with both in the next few weeks. I've never had a job before and it feels weird because I always thought I would be going straight to uni! I guess the experience will be good, and saving some money up will be useful. (Provided I get the job ofc!)

It sounds pretty rubbish compared to all of the things everyone else is doing. Anyone got any advice? I'm also going to look into doing some course related work experience, but really I want to focus on resitting and getting the grades I need.

Has anyone else been forced into doing a gap year by their abysmal results?😂
Hi guys finally found the official gap year thread I am so excited for my gap year.

My plans for my gap year so far with regards to September-December:
I am so far working in Kumon teaching children maths, then got some work experience in a hospital to observe different type of patients with anger management and depressions. Then I am off to istanbul for some sight seeing and eating amazing food there. Then to India where I am volunteering teaching in a school. Hospital work experience at night. Then some travelling and sight seeing.

I have got a basic plan for the spring but need some finalising and need to plan next summer well.
Original post by Joe2Jonas
Hi guys finally found the official gap year thread I am so excited for my gap year.

My plans for my gap year so far with regards to September-December:
I am so far working in Kumon teaching children maths, then got some work experience in a hospital to observe different type of patients with anger management and depressions. Then I am off to istanbul for some sight seeing and eating amazing food there. Then to India where I am volunteering teaching in a school. Hospital work experience at night. Then some travelling and sight seeing.

I have got a basic plan for the spring but need some finalising and need to plan next summer well.

what kumon centre are you with since I'm working there too!
Original post by Teddysmith123
what kumon centre are you with since I'm working there too!

Cardiff Roath you?
Original post by Joe2Jonas
Cardiff Roath you?

Oh wow I'm at chiswick
Reply 35
YINI scheme? that sounds good. One question, how easy is it to get a place on the program?

I am currently working as a sales assistant and i will be studying Dutch simultaneously. I already have an offer from Uni so that equals more available time. i am currently searching for a work placement in the finance industry. Any ideas?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by audi_turbo
Spending the first 9 months of my gap year working for an engineering company as part of the YINI scheme then hopefully go travelling for a couple of months with the wages! Reapplying for university this year after narrowly missing my offers by a few UMS but my gap year was always happening so it's not too bad I guess.

Since you're part of the the YINI scheme, are you taking the LUMEN gap year maths course which is (kind of) associated with it? I'm not doing a year in industry, but I am doing the maths course just to make sure I can still differentiate and integrate stuff at the end of the year!
Reply 37
Hello guys! Decided to take a gap year this year in order to get my grades up so I can apply for Veterinary Medicine 2017!

My Gappie-Goals
- Achieve A grades in my IGCSE and GCSE
- Get some veterinary work experience
- Travel to London again
- to be continued..

Can I join in?! :sad:
Reply 38
hey guys, thought I'd join. As of march i'm going to japan for 6 months for work experience, and In the meantime I'm working to save up as at the end of my trip I get about two weeks to explore japan, and since Japan is super expensive I need the funds. I'm so excited though :woo:
Reply 39
Original post by Samual
I'm not sure what I'm doing can be classified as a gap year since I left school in 2007, but I had to apply for a deferred entry. My plans so far don't extend beyond going to stay with my grandparents in France for the winter. I might self-study an extra A level for fun. Is anyone else planning a relativity quiet gap year?

I believe mine is going to be relatively quiet! I am doing full time admin work in the week days then evenings I'm planning/weekends may travel a bit then. Also studying IGCSE and GCSE to boost my grades for Vet Med, then going to college again next year :smile:

Nothing wrong with a quiet gap year! Would be nice to have a quiet year before uni?!

Quick Reply

Latest