The Student Room Group

Official gap year thread- 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone,

So i am also on a gap year. not somthing i want to do but i knew it was going to happen for the entire year so it is what it is.

I am determined that it doesbt go to waste!

Am I redoing English and History (distence learning) AS and working part time at ASDA. Also an EPQ to help uni application. Also got some work experience sorted

For fun I am going to as many gigs and football games as I can... i now have time that I never had before on week nights and also loads of cities with mates i can crash in due to uni :biggrin:

Also getting fit (run to work and swim 4 times a week) and starting to learning sign language (my lifetime ambition) and finally learning to drive (got my theory test soon!!)

In the summer I hope to go to Glasto and finally inter-railing round europe.

Thats it for my gap year. I have been planning it for ages and saving up money too! Its starting to hit me as my mates start leaving for Uni though :frown: going to be quite a lonley time I think for awhile... still I am determinded to have a year which makes me glad Im not going to uni!
Original post by Bidemi96
YINI scheme? that sounds good. One question, how easy is it to get a place on the program?

I am currently working as a sales assistant and i will be studying Dutch simultaneously. I already have an offer from Uni so that equals more available time. i am currently searching for a work placement in the finance industry. Any ideas?

For me it wasn't hard at all. Just apply, go along to the introductory presentation and they'll start sending work offers. Although they'll be for starting your placement in September 2015 if you apply this year. I applied during year 13.
Original post by amylouisetommo
Since you're part of the the YINI scheme, are you taking the LUMEN gap year maths course which is (kind of) associated with it? I'm not doing a year in industry, but I am doing the maths course just to make sure I can still differentiate and integrate stuff at the end of the year!

Yep, work give me 2 hours a week to do it in. Hopefully it's not too challenging.
Original post by audi_turbo
Yep, work give me 2 hours a week to do it in. Hopefully it's not too challenging.

Have you looked at the topic list online? If you did any further maths, you'll have met at least some of the concepts...
Reply 44
Hi, I've just decided to take a gap year,
I'm planning on going to Venezuela to do a 2 month volunteering project from jan working with children and building classrooms etc with BUNAC, has anyone done anything similar / know anyone that has done anything similar before with BUNAC ? my only concern is the troubles in Venezuela at the moment
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys :smile:
Due to not receiving any offers, I am currently on my gap year and have been looking for a full or part time job preferably as a Health Care Assistant for months. I do not need to do any resits. Anyway a little while back I applied and had an interview for a job as a HCA at a local hospital and was shortly told that I had received the job. However, I phoned up and have been told that resource is very busy at the moment and so my paperwork to send off my references or get my DBS check have not been sent out to me. I want to know, if this continues and I am not in employment by the time I apply, will this weaken my university application. Baring in mind the rest of my application is relatively strong, with good grades, summer university course, EC's, personal experience, loads of voluntary work and work exerperience.
I am still applying for other jobs but do not seem to be getting very far as most of the jobs are far out of my area and I will not be able to get to :/
Any help would be gratefully appreciated! :biggrin:
Has anyone done the J-1 cultural exchange disney program?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys ,
I defered my place at uni to 2015 because i'm an asylum seeker so i could not get a loan from student finance or pay for it myself plus i can't really work because of my status . So any suggestions on what i can do to make this gap year worth awhile .?:confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by amylouisetommo
Have you looked at the topic list online? If you did any further maths, you'll have met at least some of the concepts...

I've had a look. I've done FP1 so some of them look alright. Good luck with your lumen course!
Original post by moolightwisdom
Hey guys ,
I defered my place at uni to 2015 because i'm an asylum seeker so i could not get a loan from student finance or pay for it myself plus i can't really work because of my status . So any suggestions on what i can do to make this gap year worth awhile .?:confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you can't get a job why not try taking up a hobby, playing a new sport or learning a new language. You might not have time for these things whilst at uni.
If you can't get a job why not try taking up a hobby, playing a new sport or learning a new language. You might not have time for these things whilst at uni.

Already doing that bro , got a guitar(in a few years i will be able to play the happy birthday theme:smug:) , going to start bsl classes and stuff but thanks for the reply .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ooh missed this thread- hi all! :wavey:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've had a look. I've done FP1 so some of them look alright. Good luck with your lumen course!

Good luck to you too! :smile:
Original post by furryface12
ooh missed this thread- hi all! :wavey:

posted from tsr mobile

huuuullllooo :d
Who else is wasting away?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Joe2Jonas
huuuullllooo :d

How are you? What are you doing with your year? :smile:
Random question but will anyone be 20 when they start uni next year? :/
Original post by butterflyy
Random question but will anyone be 20 when they start uni next year? :/

I won't, I'll turn twenty a couple of months afterwards though as I imagine most people here will. Don't worry about it, I'm sure no-one will know or think anything of it if they do! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ThePrimeMover
Who's going to NZ??

Wish I was :tongue: Are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there!
I'm starting a Gap Year! I'm not that excited about that because I do not know what's next... :frown:(( If any of you can give me advices/tips on what to do this year, I will be very grateful! I feel a little bad about all this because all my peers have started Uni so I'm quite desperate :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest