The Student Room Group

Official gap year thread- 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys! Your plans all sound so exciting :biggrin: I'm having a quiet gap year - I'm waitressing at the moment but trying to get a job in an entertainment store so working will be a bit more enjoyable. I'm doing university MOOC courses to keep me occupied and I'm applying for uni this year. I'm kind of toying with the idea of learning to drive but I'm not sure - it's so expensive :/ And I kind of want to start getting fit as well but don't know whether I'm actually going to get the motivation to do that :P How's everyone getting on with their UCAS applications? :smile:
Original post by Joe2Jonas
Well I guess its because I have always wanted to take a gap year and wanted to travel so I like to keep myself busy and improve on my personality :biggrin: I wanted to study medicine however due to the grades I decided to go graduate. Kumon has been great so far I do 7 hours a week and I vary in the job from marking all kinds of children homework to teaching the children themselves. Thanks and thats great what course you considering so far? Yeah resits suck as I hate learning the stuff again but I am sure we can smash it :cool: and where do you want to travel so far?

Cool! I never really intended to, just realised a couple of months ago that I was going to have to :redface: Fair enough! That sounds really interesting, do you enjoy it? I imagine most people would either love or hate that sort of thing! I used to do similar volunteering in an after school club thing which was good :smile: I'm applying for physics, you? They do, but ahh well, have to be done! We will :yep: Not sure yet, don't know if I'll even be able to yet but I will if I can, even if it's just interrailing in Europe for a couple of weeks :biggrin: Do you know where you want to go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by furryface12
Cool! I never really intended to, just realised a couple of months ago that I was going to have to :redface: Fair enough! That sounds really interesting, do you enjoy it? I imagine most people would either love or hate that sort of thing! I used to do similar volunteering in an after school club thing which was good :smile: I'm applying for physics, you? They do, but ahh well, have to be done! We will :yep: Not sure yet, don't know if I'll even be able to yet but I will if I can, even if it's just interrailing in Europe for a couple of weeks :biggrin: Do you know where you want to go?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awh I see well I am glad you're taking a gap year you will be a better person for the world (as cheesy as it sounds) but defiantly improve your personality in a different way which you never realised before. Yeah I enjoy it as times I guess the worse is telling pushy parents the ways in which the child could improve because that's what they want to know. That sounds awesome volunteering is so rewarding :biggrin: It's annoying doing the exams again though :/ and that's awesome!! I want to go to Spain to do the La tomatia festival so might see you there and also interailing in Canada.
Original post by Joe2Jonas
Awh I see well I am glad you're taking a gap year you will be a better person for the world (as cheesy as it sounds) but defiantly improve your personality in a different way which you never realised before. Yeah I enjoy it as times I guess the worse is telling pushy parents the ways in which the child could improve because that's what they want to know. That sounds awesome volunteering is so rewarding :biggrin: It's annoying doing the exams again though :/ and that's awesome!! I want to go to Spain to do the La tomatia festival so might see you there and also interailing in Canada.

That was weird, I came on here just as you quoted me :eek: But anyways, yeah it's good! Nice to have a bit of time out of education too, despite the resits. Fair enough! Yeah I love volunteering, when I know what I'm doing more I might see if they want me to go back there as I kind of miss it :tongue: Cool! Especially Canada, I would love to go there :moon:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am currently in my last year of college in London doing BTEC Level 3 Creative Media Production and have found myself leaning towards the filming side of the industry.

I am thinking of applying through UCAS this year for the 2015 entry but will defer it to 2016 as I want to take a gap year to work in the media industry abroad.

Are there any ideas of how I can obtain any work experience or an apprenticeship for the gap year abroad or in the UK? Perhaps National Geographic or a similar company?
Original post by minafakhouri
I am currently in my last year of college in London doing BTEC Level 3 Creative Media Production and have found myself leaning towards the filming side of the industry.

I am thinking of applying through UCAS this year for the 2015 entry but will defer it to 2016 as I want to take a gap year to work in the media industry abroad.

Are there any ideas of how I can obtain any work experience or an apprenticeship for the gap year abroad or in the UK? Perhaps National Geographic or a similar company?

Is there anyone you know that does something similar? In my experience you're far more likely to get work experience when it's someone you know or have some kind of a link to that works there than just emailing companies out of the blue :redface: You might be surprised- I've had two people mention about me being able to get work experience with someone they know doing something related, both completely out of the blue! No idea if they'll come off or not yet, but I've been emailing one of them and my friend said she'd get the contact details of the other one for me :smile:
Original post by sammidrake
Hi guys! Your plans all sound so exciting :biggrin: I'm having a quiet gap year - I'm waitressing at the moment but trying to get a job in an entertainment store so working will be a bit more enjoyable. I'm doing university MOOC courses to keep me occupied and I'm applying for uni this year. I'm kind of toying with the idea of learning to drive but I'm not sure - it's so expensive :/ And I kind of want to start getting fit as well but don't know whether I'm actually going to get the motivation to do that :P How's everyone getting on with their UCAS applications? :smile:

Almost finished it because my former sixth form want it done by the end of Monday.. Been putting off editing my personal statement from last year for so long though.
Hi, is anyone applying through UCAS again? I'm resitting some modules and UCAS is confusing me :confused:
Original post by audi_turbo
Almost finished it because my former sixth form want it done by the end of Monday.. Been putting off editing my personal statement from last year for so long though.

Yeah, I did one last year too but I looked back on it and decided to scrap it XD Good luck with getting it done - are you an Oxbridge applicant or do you just want it done super early?

Original post by awkwardgirl123
Hi, is anyone applying through UCAS again? I'm resitting some modules and UCAS is confusing me :confused:

Hi! I'm applying this year so I can try and help if you like, although I'm no expert :smile:
Original post by sammidrake
Yeah, I did one last year too but I looked back on it and decided to scrap it XD Good luck with getting it done - are you an Oxbridge applicant or do you just want it done super early?

Haha the sixth form want it super early or they won't process it. Not applying to Oxbridge this time round.
I'm applying again too! What's exactly the matter?
Emm.. Is anyone here from Glasgow taking a Gap Year? :colondollar:
So whose gap year consists of Facebook, Skype and Youtube?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by gapyeardon1
So whose gap year consists of Facebook, Skype and Youtube?

:eek: Thank God, I'm not the only one!:biggrin:
Original post by licoricebish
:eek: Thank God, I'm not the only one!:biggrin:

Wanna get married?
lmao ! What?! You're crazy:biggrin:
Wanna get married?
Original post by licoricebish
lmao ! What?! You're crazy:biggrin:

So crazy, that I planned nothing for my gap year. Came on here to get some ideas, so.. what have you got planned?? :smile:
So crazy, that I planned nothing for my gap year. Came on here to get some ideas, so.. what have you got planned?? :smile:

Wow! I thought I was one of the few people resitting some A level modules. Thanks guys you've given me some comfort! :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nothing yet :frown: looking for Temporary Jobs and Volunteering

Quick Reply

Latest