The Student Room Group

Official gap year thread- 2014/2015

-----------------------------------------------------------
OFFICIAL GAP YEAR THREAD- 2014/2015

Whether you're going travelling or earning money in your home town, it would be cool to here what your plans are :smile:

I'll kick it off...

In September i'll be going to either Bangladesh or Nigeria with VSO ICS Entrepeneur scheme for 10 weeks. This will involve helping the local community and their start ups progress into successful businesses.

I will come home for Christmas and stay in my home-town for a few months. Then I will hopefully be going to Hawaii to work on a farm/ community centre in March for a few months. Ready to start Uni in September 2015.

All very exciting stuff :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cdude

Whether you're going travelling or earning money in your home town, it would be cool to here what your plans are :smile:

I'll kick it off...

In September i'll be going to either Bangladesh or Nigeria with VSO ICS Entrepeneur scheme for 10 weeks. This will involve helping the local community and their start ups progress into successful businesses.

I will come home for Christmas and stay in my home-town for a few months. Then I will hopefully be going to Hawaii to work on a farm/ community centre in March for a few months. Ready to start Uni in September 2015.

Wow that sounds really exciting how are you raising money to fund your gap? Also are you applying for uni in gour gap or have you deffered entry,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Teddysmith123
Wow that sounds really exciting how are you raising money to fund your gap? Also are you applying for uni in gour gap or have you deffered entry,

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been saving up for a while now through christmas, birthday and part time jobs.
Original post by cdude
I've been saving up for a while now through christmas, birthday and part time jobs.

I tried saving money and then realised im terrible at it! But my gap year officially starts in august so im really killing time right now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I tried saving money and then realised im terrible at it! But my gap year officially starts in august so im really killing time right now

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are your plans? :smile:
Original post by cdude

I'll kick it off...

You want to become an entrepreneur? I'm having huge fears over start ups of a company. :eek: :eek: You're so lucky to be going on a scheme that gives you that kind of experience :biggrin:

I'm going to China to learn and speak mandarin for 6 months at a university at Shanghai. For the other half I will be working as a sales assistant raising money for university. I'm also developing websites and apps and taking an A Level in Further Maths throughout the gap year so I'll hopefully always have something to do. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by lllllllllll
You want to become an entrepreneur? I'm having huge fears over start ups of a company. :eek: :eek: You're so lucky to be going on a scheme that gives you that kind of experience :biggrin:

I'm going to China to learn and speak mandarin for 6 months at a university at Shanghai. For the other half I will be working as a sales assistant raising money for university. I'm also developing websites and apps and taking an A Level in Further Maths throughout the gap year so I'll hopefully always have something to do. :smile:

China! That sounds pretty cool :smile:

What sorts of sites/ apps are you developing? Would be cool to get in touch as I have always wanted to further my internet marketing skills
Original post by cdude
China! That sounds pretty cool :smile:

What sorts of sites/ apps are you developing? Would be cool to get in touch as I have always wanted to further my internet marketing skills

I'm developing websites for some B&Bs at the moment, when I'm done with them I'll develop a website for students.
Reply 9

Yes, i agree with this too.

You must choose carefully which company you go with.

I'm going with ICS VSO which is a government funded scheme. The work they do IS beneficial and only has positive effects.

Omg im going to china too! Im teaching english what company are you going with? Also when are you going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cdude
What are your plans? :smile:

Sorry haven't replied but yh im planning to go and teach in china for 6 months and the rest of the time im trying to find a job

Posted from TSR Mobile
Omg im going to china too! Im teaching english what company are you going with? Also when are you going?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll be in Shanghai taking a mandarin course at Fudan University for six months. How about you? :eek: :smile:
I'll be in Shanghai taking a mandarin course at Fudan University for six months. How about you? :eek: :smile:

Oh ok im going to be teaching English at a school in china

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi! I'm taking a gap year too, mainly to save money and there are some volunteering/travelling things I'm looking into for next summer. I have a job in a kitchen at the moment, started just last week. Have you guys already got places at uni or are you applying this year?
Original post by weevilface
Hi! I'm taking a gap year too, mainly to save money and there are some volunteering/travelling things I'm looking into for next summer. I have a job in a kitchen at the moment, started just last week. Have you guys already got places at uni or are you applying this year?

Hey im applying this year wbu? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I applied this year so I already have a place sorted for next October. :biggrin: What do you want to study/where?
Spending the first 9 months of my gap year working for an engineering company as part of the YINI scheme then hopefully go travelling for a couple of months with the wages! Reapplying for university this year after narrowly missing my offers by a few UMS but my gap year was always happening so it's not too bad I guess.
Reply 18

How did you go about arranging the China trip? I absolutely love everything Japan and would love to do the same thing in Japan!
Reply 19
Original post by audi_turbo
Spending the first 9 months of my gap year working for an engineering company as part of the YINI scheme then hopefully go travelling for a couple of months with the wages! Reapplying for university this year after narrowly missing my offers by a few UMS but my gap year was always happening so it's not too bad I guess.

Are you resitting or just reapplying? Sounds cool!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest