The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Archaeology at Bournemouth anyone?

Hi,

I am hoping to study BSc archaeology at Bournemouth University in September and was wondering if anyone was doing the same course as I know its not the most popular choice!

Also can't decide on Dorchester or Purbeck for accommodation as need 42 weeks because of the placement dig at the end of first year. Does anybody who already goes Bournemouth know which ones better?

Thanks
Natasha :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NatashaCross
Hi,

I am hoping to study BSc archaeology at Bournemouth University in September and was wondering if anyone was doing the same course as I know its not the most popular choice!

Also can't decide on Dorchester or Purbeck for accommodation as need 42 weeks because of the placement dig at the end of first year. Does anybody who already goes Bournemouth know which ones better?

Thanks
Natasha :smile:

Hi there :smile: I will be doing Archaeology and Anthropology in September, so we might end up going to the same lectures, classes etc :smile:
You are probably the first person who I have seen on here doing a similar course to me, I feel so relieved!!

Are you definitely going for the halls or have you also considered private?
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Reply 2
Original post by MariaKaehne
Hi there :smile: I will be doing Archaeology and Anthropology in September, so we might end up going to the same lectures, classes etc :smile:
You are probably the first person who I have seen on here doing a similar course to me, I feel so relieved!!

Are you definitely going for the halls or have you also considered private?

Hi :smile: yeah that's true, think a lot of the modules are the same :smile: you are the first person I've seen on both here and the Bournemouth uni 2014 Facebook page who is doing a similar course, I feel relieved too!

Definitely halls as met a student from Bournemouth on an excavation going in to there third year studying archaeology who recommended Purbeck where she stayed as it covers the big dig at the end of first year, which some of the halls don't which is good. Hopefully will get into the halls I want, where are you thinking of going?

Just hope I get the grades to get in tomorrow, ahh! Good luck with your results btw :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi :smile: yeah that's true, think a lot of the modules are the same :smile: you are the first person I've seen on both here and the Bournemouth uni 2014 Facebook page who is doing a similar course, I feel relieved too!

Definitely halls as met a student from Bournemouth on an excavation going in to there third year studying archaeology who recommended Purbeck where she stayed as it covers the big dig at the end of first year, which some of the halls don't which is good. Hopefully will get into the halls I want, where are you thinking of going?

Just hope I get the grades to get in tomorrow, ahh! Good luck with your results btw :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Uh, that is interesting!!!
What exactly does it mean when you say the halls cover the big dig? I wasn't really aware of this you see!

I actually already have an unconditional offer, as I am a mature student!
But I am sure you will get the results you need! What was their offer to you? If you don't mind me asking? :smile: And have you got other options just in case?

I was initially going for private accomodation as it would be cheaper, but now I don't know haha! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by MariaKaehne
Uh, that is interesting!!!
What exactly does it mean when you say the halls cover the big dig? I wasn't really aware of this you see!

I actually already have an unconditional offer, as I am a mature student!
But I am sure you will get the results you need! What was their offer to you? If you don't mind me asking? :smile: And have you got other options just in case?

I was initially going for private accomodation as it would be cheaper, but now I don't know haha! :smile:

At the end of first year as part of the course you take part in an excavation run by the uni called the 'big dig'( http://courses.bournemouth.ac.uk/courses/Course.aspx?course=1294&school=CS&level=sc&code=PSCAFS) but according to the student I met she told me not all halls accommodation have a long enough tenancy to cover the dig at the end of the year as it needs to be a 42 week tenancy which Purbeck is as that's where she stayed. Hope that makes sense! :smile:

Congrats! :smile: thank-you, they offered me BBC and I have to get one of the B grades in archaeology A level. Yep have an insurance of Worcester as it was my lowest offer but definitely prefer Bournemouth!

Posted from TSR Mobile
At the end of first year as part of the course you take part in an excavation run by the uni called the 'big dig'( http://courses.bournemouth.ac.uk/courses/Course.aspx?course=1294&school=CS&level=sc&code=PSCAFS) but according to the student I met she told me not all halls accommodation have a long enough tenancy to cover the dig at the end of the year as it needs to be a 42 week tenancy which Purbeck is as that's where she stayed. Hope that makes sense! :smile:

Congrats! :smile: thank-you, they offered me BBC and I have to get one of the B grades in archaeology A level. Yep have an insurance of Worcester as it was my lowest offer but definitely prefer Bournemouth!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I see what you mean :smile: I thought you meant like.. They covered transport or something! :smile:

Well I won't have that issue with private accomodation, so that is a good thing!

Today is a big day for you, young lady!

Tell me how it went! :smile:
Reply 6
Have you decided on private accommodation then?

I got a C in History, a B in Archaeology and an A* in ICT so going to Bournemouth! :biggrin: Also got awarded the academic excellence scholarship

Will see you in September! :smile:
Reply 7
Hey,
Im also going to be studying Archaeology at Bournemouth this year, it good to finally see some other people on the same course!
Accommodation wise i've only gone through the first stage so haven't chosen where yet but I will most likely be going for Dorchester house
Reply 8
Original post by lfhooper
Hey,
Im also going to be studying Archaeology at Bournemouth this year, it good to finally see some other people on the same course!
Accommodation wise i've only gone through the first stage so haven't chosen where yet but I will most likely be going for Dorchester house

Hey, it's good to find some more people on a similar course! Which course are you doing? :smile: in your welcome letter did it mention the overnight trip as part of the course in induction week?
Reply 9
Archaeology Bsc, and yes it did mention an overnight trip its the first i had heard of it wonder where we are going?
Archaeology Bsc, and yes it did mention an overnight trip its the first i had heard of it wonder where we are going?

Awesome, we are on the same course :smile: Yeah same here and i have no idea, hopefully it will be something interesting! Must be something outdoors related though
Reply 11
Nice! Yeah I assume it will be to some archaeological site someplace, we might find out when they publish the timetables which im sure i read will be early september.
Nice! Yeah I assume it will be to some archaeological site someplace, we might find out when they publish the timetables which im sure i read will be early september.

Yeah true and yeah we will probably find out in enrolment or something. Have you been able to access the pre arrival activities yet as mines not showing up?
Reply 13
Yeah true and yeah we will probably find out in enrolment or something. Have you been able to access the pre arrival activities yet as mines not showing up?

Nope theres no link for it, it'll probably appear in the next few days

I'm doing biology but I was wondering the same! The website says "Access your Pre-Arrival Activity from the 'My Communities' box on the left." but the only links in mine are:

Haha, maybe we're too early! :smile:
Original post by 2007PSanHa
I'm doing biology but I was wondering the same! The website says "Access your Pre-Arrival Activity from the 'My Communities' box on the left." but the only links in mine are:

Haha, maybe we're too early! :smile:

Looks like we may be too early! :smile: I only have those four communities on mine as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, I'm studying BSc Archaeology too! :smile: I'm in Purbeck for accommodation.
Original post by JasminMary
Hey, I'm studying BSc Archaeology too! :smile: I'm in Purbeck for accommodation.

Awesome, so happy to find more people on the course! I'm in Purbeck too, in flat BO13, what about you? :biggrin:
Awesome, so happy to find more people on the course! I'm in Purbeck too, in flat BO13, what about you? :biggrin:

Oh Wow me too! Room D!:biggrin:
Original post by JasminMary
Oh Wow me too! Room D!:biggrin:

Awesome, finally found a flat mate! I'm in room C :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending