The Student Room Group

Seriously stressing out now, please help/advice

Hi,

Basically I was given a £17K per annum 1 year placement offer, and I have to make up my mind by tomorrow.

But recently, I went to another interview, and I may get the job, but it won't be paid as highly as the offer I currently have. However, this job is more related to my career and I feel that it may benefit me long term.

Thing is, I don't know what to do. People will think I am stupid for turning down £17K a year, but I am still young and not in need for a lot of money

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
wHICH IS YOUR CHOIC?

If you go to the 17K/annum you can fund for further studies of your course..professional development
If you go to other you do get experience of your choice..
Ask the other company if they are sure of hiring you before giving an answer to 17K company..

If they hire you, you can decide for your choice..
But if they say they are not gonna hire you, say yes to 17K immediately.

You should not be careless at this point.
Reply 2
Well, I had the same feeling in my situation.
I learn finance and they put me on admin..
When I though it was meh but later i found it helped me a lot..
To know about the company and for developing myself in a professional environment..
I was told I would be placed in finance after 2 years..

Sometimes you could go to a higher position of your career choice with progression of your studies and high quality professional experience in a career environment.:yep:
Reply 3
Hi,

I was given a job offer for £17K a year for a tech support role (1st/2nd/3rd line support).

It was for my placement, and I turned them down - despite not receiving any other offers.

I just felt that it wasn't for me
Reply 4
Reply 5
Wouldn't get out of bed for £17k. There's much better paid stuff out there for you no doubt.
Nah it wasn't a life changing opportunity, but if you need the money/experience then possibly you should have taken it until something better came along
Reply 7
Original post by Sena5
wHICH IS YOUR CHOIC?

If you go to the 17K/annum you can fund for further studies of your course..professional development
If you go to other you do get experience of your choice..
Ask the other company if they are sure of hiring you before giving an answer to 17K company..

If they hire you, you can decide for your choice..
But if they say they are not gonna hire you, say yes to 17K immediately.

You should not be careless at this point.

I turned down the offer, as I felt that it wasn't for me and that the company were pushing for a decision too.

I do feel stupid
Reply 8
Original post by po10tial
I turned down the offer, as I felt that it wasn't for me and that the company were pushing for a decision too.

I do feel stupid

You can keep in touch with the company for anything if u don't get the other one.
Reply 9
Original post by Ripper-Roo
Nah it wasn't a life changing opportunity, but if you need the money/experience then possibly you should have taken it until something better came along

True, but I am a student.

For some reason, I never really liked it since the moment I went for that interview.

A lot of people I know are businessmen - and they only advised me to go for it (for them its about £££).
Reply 10
Original post by Sena5
You can keep in touch with the company for anything if u don't get the other one.

But they would have hired someone else.

I think I may have made the right choice.
Reply 11

tHEN COOL..
You are confirmed with your job right?
You are surely hired for the one you intend to go to?If it is, then grand!
Reply 12
Original post by Sena5
tHEN COOL..
You are confirmed with your job right?
You are surely hired for the one you intend to go to?If it is, then grand!

Hi,

The other job that I went for an interview have not made an offer yet.

I do feel that the other job will benefit me and my degree route, but the salary may not be great

The other one was more relevant you said so turning down the 17k isn't that stupid. And anyway, 17k isn't that much, plus once you factor in 20% tax rate and rent for housing etc you aren't left with all that much.
You should have taken it. 17k as a student is great, plus experience is at least as important as a degree.

But there's no point dwelling on it.
Reply 15
Original post by Mimir
Wouldn't get out of bed for £17k. There's much better paid stuff out there for you no doubt.

How much do you make out of curiosity?

To the OP

No, you haven't made a stupid decision, probably should have took it until you found something more suitable but oh well.

Don't dwell on it
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Mimir

£17k is pretty high for a placement. It's basically for experience, the money is just a bonus.
Reply 17
Hi,

The other job that I went for an interview have not made an offer yet.

I do feel that the other job will benefit me and my degree route, but the salary may not be great

aww best wishes:smile:
Experience wise it was probably a mistake to turn it down but not one that you won't recover from certainly not a career ending move.

Also if you were going to be doing 3rd line support how come you were only going to be offered £17k?
Reply 19
Original post by maths learner
The other one was more relevant you said so turning down the 17k isn't that stupid. And anyway, 17k isn't that much, plus once you factor in 20% tax rate and rent for housing etc you aren't left with all that much.

Yeah, I living with my parents at the moment, so I don't really have to pay housing rent etc.

The salary isn't bothering me much as I am still a student.

I just feel stupid turning down an offer without receiving any other offers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending