The Student Room Group

What I've worked out..

I start university at newcastle in September, I've just received my student finance evaluation and calculating with my rent It totals
Total loan and grant: £7300 over 3 payments
Total Rent over 38 weeks: £3300
Dividing both my rent period of 38 weeks it looks like
Weekly loan and grant: £192
Weekly rent cost: £85

Which would leave me with £107 a week?? That sounds quite good to me but am I missing something? Have I calculated wrong?

If I'm correct how from experience will I be at uni? Will I have enough to go out etc maybe even do some shopping? Or should I look for part time work also?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Dp12081994
I start university at newcastle in September, I've just received my student finance evaluation and calculating with my rent It totals

Which would leave me with £107 a week?? That sounds quite good to me but am I missing something? Have I calculated wrong?

If I'm correct how from experience will I be at uni? Will I have enough to go out etc maybe even do some shopping? Or should I look for part time work also?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that is enough to go out and sometimes go shopping too. Some people will be living off £30 a week, plus your food shopping will only cost about £20/£30
Reply 2
I hope so I want to be able to afford some new clothes every now and then and to be able to go out quite often! Any other opinions? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds pretty good. :biggrin:

Other things to note are 'academic costs', meaning those relating to texts and other peripherals. The cost of this is purely dependent on your course.

Also, you will want to allocate some of your money into an emergency pot. The horror, for instance, that your whisk breaks.

There may also be other weekly deductibles, factoring washing, group commitments etc. You still seem set to have some great spending money though, granting that you're not a committed alcoholic.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Cheers! I think I should do okay then I'll raid h&m at the beginning of each term and try save some cash weekly! I cannot wait :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
£107, I wish I had that per week to spend, lucky sod!
Reply 6
evil clever dog

Thanks!

I don't think you'll have to worry about that, I know people that were down to about £20 a week by the end of the year :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I was at £104 when I worked mine out. But then I found out I'm entitled to the Scholarship for my university, so it boosts it up to £168 after paying for the Accommodation of course.
Reply 9
Original post by David B
I was at £104 when I worked mine out. But then I found out I'm entitled to the Scholarship for my university, so it boosts it up to £168 after paying for the Accommodation of course.

I did think I was eligible for the scholarship, but it said it would be done automatically? Does it come after you're student finance or what?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did think I was eligible for the scholarship, but it said it would be done automatically? Does it come after you're student finance or what?

Posted from TSR Mobile

From what I remember from last year, the details of scholarship eligibility come through in September. You'll recieve a separate letter from the university. I'm guessing from the amount of student finance your are recieving that you have been assessed as bring on a relatively low income. You should be eligible for one of Newcastle's opportunity scholarships.
Reply 11
Yeah hopefully! Cheers for that mate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well when I asked my university about the scholarship they said as long as your eligible for the scholarship and you ticket the consent to share box on your student finance application (Don't worry it's automatically ticked) then you should get it.
My university said once you begin university they will present you with options to how you want your money. For example all cash, Cheaper accommodation + cash, etc... At my university you can get a IPad as well as money which means a free IPad!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending