The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster 2015 - Help me decide on a college! :)

Hey guys,

To give you a brief overview anyway, my name is Ray and I'm currently waiting to start my second year at college. If I get in, I will be attending Lancaster in 2015 and I'm going to be studying either Natural Sciences or Chemistry.

I just have a few question which I cant seem to find the answers for and I believe that hearing from currents students would be helpful.

I would like an insight on the 8 colleges of lancaster, and I would like to know which ones you would recommend for me.

And any students that are applying for 2015 entry, comment if your having similar issues.

Thanks a bunch,

Ray
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey Ray!

First of all, I applaud you for choosing Lancaster. I only spent two months there last year before dropping out. I'm going back in two months and I couldn't be more excited. I'm annoying everyone here by counting down the days and rubbing it in everyone's face, haha. :colondollar:

Each college is different, in terms of atmosphere, accommodation, location, bars, etc.
This link provides you with further links to each of the colleges' websites:
http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/teaching-and-learning/collegiate-system/

I can't really vouch for all of them since I lived in Bowland College so I hope at least someone from every college can offer some insight!
Personally, I chose my college because of location more than anything else. It's situated at the heart of the campus and the Law department was literally down the corridor from my bedroom! No joke.
Bowland in general is a lovely college. The other colleges have newer accommodation but now we can say we have the newest because Bowland Tower was refurbished this year and the view is just breathtaking from there! Some people mock our bar because it's not as glamorous as the ones from the other college but the pies are good and the entertainment is fabulous. It's very cosy and casual compared to the other ones.

I'm not sure where your department buildings would be but you can just find the map on the Lancaster site and see which college is closest to it! Though I wouldn't pin down distance/location as the deciding factor.

Here are the summaries from the Lancaster site:

Bowland was the Universitys first college and is located at the very heart of the main campus close to shops and banks, along the western edge of the north spine. Bowlands facilities have recently been radically refurbished with a new caf and bar, JCR and games room. The college offers a range of accommodation for 625 students.

Cartmel relocated to Alexandra Park on the south-western tip of campus in 2004. The college is centred around the carefully converted 17th century listed Barker House Farm which now houses a bar and food court, the JCR and study areas. Cartmel is also in easy walking distance of Galgate Village with its pubs and marina. Cartmels 632 rooms are all superior ensuite.

County is located on the north end of the campus. The County Main building surrounds a 200 year old oak tree and has been completely refurbished with a modern piazza complementing the retro-style Northern Oak Bar, JCR and diner. A new development of townhouses encloses the landscaped northern end of Lancaster Square. The largest college on campus, County provides 795 beds for its students.

Furness sits to the south of Alexandra Square and is a five-minute walk to most places on the main campus. Its main building and facilities were fully refurbished in 2012 and now provide a modern home for the College, with its popular traditional pub - 'Trevor' - retaining its cosy feel. The JCR organises varied activities and trips, and there's even an annual cruise round Windermere. Furness is one of the smallest colleges, with a popular mix of accommodation of new ensuite or refurbished standard options.

Fylde sits in the middle of the campus, with easy access to the University's services and facilities. It is home to a spacious and airy JCR and bar; an off-campus student facility; group study room and a non-alcoholic social space and games room. Fylde is the preferred campus venue for international student events, and has a reputation for sporting prowess. It has 593 ensuite rooms.

Grizedale is sited between the Management School and the InfoLab21 ICT Centre at the heart of campus. It has ultra modern social facilities and a bar that would hold its own in the most cosmopolitan of city centres. The college organises an extensive range of social events both on and off campus and houses 597 students in a wide variety of accommodation.

Lonsdale is situated on Alexandra Park, lined by a boulevard of dry stone walls and views of Morecambe Bay. It has a large and trendy bar that makes Lonsdale one of the centres of attention for weekend nightlife - from its DJ booth and dance floor to a chillout area and non-alcoholic zone. Lonsdale is the second largest college with 776 superior ensuite rooms.

Pendle sits along the boundary between the main campus and Alexandra Park, where it benefits from spacious open surroundings and striking views. The college incorporates food outlets, the Central Stores convenience shop and one of the largest college social areas at Lancaster. As one of the larger colleges, it enjoys a diverse student population with equally diverse interests. Pendle houses 720 students in various types of accommodation.

I hope this helped. If there's anything else you wanna know, feel free to message me and I'll try and help! :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey!

It's great to see people choosing chemistry! (or natural sciences but you'll probably be spending a lot of time with chemists).
I've just finished first year chemistry at Lancaster and I loved it!

With choosing your college it depends on what you're looking for! If you would like a 10-15 minute each morning to lectures then chose on in Alexandra Park (Lonsdale, Cartmel, Pendle).

If you want something central go for either Bowland or Furness. I'm in Furness and I could not have been happier with my choice this year, it's slightly off to the side (not right in the middle of campus like Bowland) so it's a bit more peaceful but all my lectures were 5 mins walk away!
If you do biology modules alongside chemistry then one of the lecture theaters is literally 2 mins from the accommodation! (right opposite the porters). It's also 2 min walk from Spar and the underpass where you can get buses from!
Apart from it's great location it also has a great bar and a really friendly JCR and SCR! :biggrin:

Sorry I know it's bias but you can expect that from almost anyone haha!

Btw the chemistry department is great, considering this year was it's first year I was pleasantly surprised! We all got on with most of the staff and they all really tried to make sure we all do as well as we can! :smile:

Hope that helps!
Bara :smile:
Reply 3
I'm in Cartmel. I love Cartmel, even though the location is a little inconvenient, because it's out of the way and a bit quieter than the central ones. We have en-suites and the rooms are really nice. Personally I had a beautiful view out over the countryside! Also there are only eight people to a flat.
I don't know much about the other collages really, though I know Bowland has recently been redone (which it needed!!). Think about what you want from accommodation; price, en-suite, number of people to a flat/ kitchen, location etc.
Whichever you choose, I hope you have a fantastic first year! :smile:
Cartmel, Lonsdale and Pendle are pretty far from the main parts of campus, so if you don't like 10 minute walks in the rain to get to your 9am lectures they are not the place for you. I've found Bowlanders to be the nicest bunch (even though I was in Grizedale and am currently in Graduate) and their accommodation is near the centre of campus.

Ultimately though, the colleges offer very little more than where you live in first year unless you want to get involved in the college. But seeing as there are heaps of great societies that is just not necessary.
Reply 5
Sorry to bring a semi-dead thread back to life, but I've applied for Lancaster to start in 2015 (I'm also applying for Cambridge, but not expecting to get in at all) and so I've just started looking at colleges. I applied for Natural Sciences with 4A* predicted grades... pfft not likely! But hopefully I can scrape good enough grades for Lancaster.

Anyhow, I'm quite sporty, so I've been looking at the league tables and Carter Shield over the past few years and it seems as though Bowland is the most successful college in terms of sports? Can anyone confirm if any of the colleges are more or less sporty than others?

Also, I'm quite into partying and I'm aware that Lancaster's small and therefore won't have as good nightlife as a city campus (Sheffield, Manchester, Newcastle, etc.), but is the nightlife at least reasonable? As in, are there plenty of places to go to for a good night out without it getting really repetitive?

I also don't particularly want to live with crushing debts after uni, so I'm only really looking at Standard Accommodation, so this rules out Lonsdale and Cartmel. It pretty much narrows it down to Bowland, Furness, Grizedale and Pendle, but I could cope with some others as long as the accommodation fees aren't too bad.

Thanks for any help :smile:

And hope to see you in some of my lectures next year, Ray! :biggrin:

-Tom.
Reply 6
Original post by BaraLlama
Hey!

It's great to see people choosing chemistry! (or natural sciences but you'll probably be spending a lot of time with chemists).
I've just finished first year chemistry at Lancaster and I loved it!

With choosing your college it depends on what you're looking for! If you would like a 10-15 minute each morning to lectures then chose on in Alexandra Park (Lonsdale, Cartmel, Pendle).

If you want something central go for either Bowland or Furness. I'm in Furness and I could not have been happier with my choice this year, it's slightly off to the side (not right in the middle of campus like Bowland) so it's a bit more peaceful but all my lectures were 5 mins walk away!
If you do biology modules alongside chemistry then one of the lecture theaters is literally 2 mins from the accommodation! (right opposite the porters). It's also 2 min walk from Spar and the underpass where you can get buses from!
Apart from it's great location it also has a great bar and a really friendly JCR and SCR! :biggrin:

Sorry I know it's bias but you can expect that from almost anyone haha!

Btw the chemistry department is great, considering this year was it's first year I was pleasantly surprised! We all got on with most of the staff and they all really tried to make sure we all do as well as we can! :smile:

Hope that helps!
Bara :smile:

You'd definitely recommend chemistry at Lancaster,then? I've applied for it, but could you tell me what the faculty is like?
Reply 7
Yes! AAA offer :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by TheFod
You'd definitely recommend chemistry at Lancaster,then? I've applied for it, but could you tell me what the faculty is like?

Well it depends on what you're looking for from the department really! But so far I've really enjoyed it, the department has been very accommodating to any of our complaints and suggestions.

To be completely honest the only thing that did annoy me was that the labs were not refurnished by the time we started (as was promised for us) but these should be done by the time you start next year! :smile: I like the fact it's a small department, you get to know some (if not most) of the staff quite well and they all do their best to help the students out :smile:

I was undecided between York and Lancaster but the campus and the atmosphere sold it for me. It's just an amazing place to be, I've made some great friends on the course as well as from joining societies
Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending