The Student Room Group

Tell me about your piercings! :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quiet _One86
It's healing pains. It's sounding quite normal - but keep an eye on it if it becomes inflamed and red or weeping. I felt the same when I had my tragus done. Just keep it clean and dry!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your advice, I shall :smile:
Original post by elliannagibbs
Sorry to bring this up but I wasn't sure where else to post.

I got my cartilage piercing done 3 days ago and it still really hurts sometimes, usually just when i turn it, it's also the side I sleep on :/

I'm just worried that i've like permanently damaged my ear or something, but is it just a bit painful because it's new and I've ended up sleeping on it.
It's not infected or anything just sore.

Thanks for any help :smile:

Was it done with a gun?

I had 2 done a month or so ago (with a needle) and they still hurt to sleep on and if I poke them too much. About a week after I had them pierced my ear swelled up and was throbbing, I thought it was infected but I took some ibuprofen for a day or so and it went down. It's totally normal to react like that, it's just your body adjusting. If there's any pus or it feels hot then definitely go to a doctor.

Make sure you do some sea salt soaks :smile: it'll heal up don't worry! Just don't touch it with dirty fingers.
Reply 82
I only have my earlobes pierced but have a long story associated with it.
When I was a baby I got them done, but the person who was piercing it pierced one lobe a bit lower than it should have. This resulted in my lobe gradually splitting. I had to get it stitched up when I was 14 and finally got my lobe re-pierced when I was 16. I'd rate the pain as 6/10 but then again I have a low pain tolerance :tongue:
I want to get belly and nipple piercings :smile:
Reply 84
Sorry to bring this up but I wasn't sure where else to post.

I got my cartilage piercing done 3 days ago and it still really hurts sometimes, usually just when i turn it, it's also the side I sleep on :/

I'm just worried that i've like permanently damaged my ear or something, but is it just a bit painful because it's new and I've ended up sleeping on it.
It's not infected or anything just sore.

Thanks for any help :smile:

Howdy :smile:

Firstly I don't recommend turning a healing piercing! I know someone people say you should but it does tend to cause problems and lengthen the healing process,

It sucks it's on the side you sleep on, maybe try sleeping on your back for a week or so untill the pain dies down and let it get some air?

I don't think you have anything to be worried about tbh, it's going to be sore for a while - especially if it's being irritated while you sleep. Just keep an eye on it and be well on top of saline soaks, even if you think you don't need to as much. I actually had to go through A&E to get my cartilage piercings cut out under general anesthetic after 3 days in hospital on an antibiotic drip due to infection. Wasn't fun. So just look after them!
I did have two dermals on my sternum but one rejected so I now only have one. I've also got my conch pierced and the usual ear piercings I had when I was baby.

In the past I've had snakebites, scaffold and anti-eyebrow.

My conch hurt the most out of all of those because it's cartilage and not a surface piercing. The one that hurt least would probably be the anti-eyebrow or snakebites. I would recommend all of them because I like piercings but my personal fave is the sternum.

My dad hates piercings and tattoos but I have both so oh well. He gets over it.
(edited 9 years ago)
I've had over 30 piercings, I won't bore with all of them. My favourite is definitely my tongue web, so much fun to play with and I like that it's a secret unless I bother to show anyone! Most painful was definitely my septum, I'd do it again but it was ouchies! Least painful had to be my rook, I thought she was still marking me up and the next thing I knew she was screwing the balls on - never had any other piercings like that before.
Thanks for your advice, I shall :smile:

You're v welcome :smile: good luck x

Posted from TSR Mobile
I want to get my nose pierced, or is it best I leave it be and not have it done. I worry about what happened when I had my lobes pierced and they swelled. I know how thorough when keeping it clean in the early stages of it being done. Any tips or recommendations?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have:

Lobes (Can't remember how much they hurt, although I got them done with a gun :doh:)
Nose (2/10, got it numbed :tongue:)
Tongue web (3/10)

I like piercings but definitely prefer an understated look so I only really want a cartilage piercing and I think I'll be done after that haha.
Reply 90
Original post by Quiet _One86
I want to get my nose pierced, or is it best I leave it be and not have it done. I worry about what happened when I had my lobes pierced and they swelled. I know how thorough when keeping it clean in the early stages of it being done. Any tips or recommendations?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had my nose done twice and honestly it was one of my easiest piercings for the aftercare. If for some reason it were to heal up then I wouldn't hesitate to go get it done a 3rd time the next day!

For me it was a bit red for the first day/day after but not uncomfortable at all and after that it died down completely.

I didn't really feel like dipping my nose in hot salt water so I just dipped cotton balls in and then held it on my nose, changing it when it cooled down too much and then used a q tip. Worked well for me and was nice and easy.
Original post by Chlomc
I had my nose done twice and honestly it was one of my easiest piercings for the aftercare. If for some reason it were to heal up then I wouldn't hesitate to go get it done a 3rd time the next day!

For me it was a bit red for the first day/day after but not uncomfortable at all and after that it died down completely.

I didn't really feel like dipping my nose in hot salt water so I just dipped cotton balls in and then held it on my nose, changing it when it cooled down too much and then used a q tip. Worked well for me and was nice and easy.

Thanks for that! I have a phobia of it catching and or getting infected if I had a cold :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chlomc
Howdy :smile:

Firstly I don't recommend turning a healing piercing! I know someone people say you should but it does tend to cause problems and lengthen the healing process,

It sucks it's on the side you sleep on, maybe try sleeping on your back for a week or so untill the pain dies down and let it get some air?

I don't think you have anything to be worried about tbh, it's going to be sore for a while - especially if it's being irritated while you sleep. Just keep an eye on it and be well on top of saline soaks, even if you think you don't need to as much. I actually had to go through A&E to get my cartilage piercings cut out under general anesthetic after 3 days in hospital on an antibiotic drip due to infection. Wasn't fun. So just look after them!

ah, i'm quite happy to just not turn my piercing! i've created a little arm pocket to rest my head on aha when i'm asleep so it''s still on my piercing side but not actually on it, it's just great
well that sounds all sorts of awful, thanks for your advice, I shall :smile:
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Was it done with a gun?

I had 2 done a month or so ago (with a needle) and they still hurt to sleep on and if I poke them too much. About a week after I had them pierced my ear swelled up and was throbbing, I thought it was infected but I took some ibuprofen for a day or so and it went down. It's totally normal to react like that, it's just your body adjusting. If there's any pus or it feels hot then definitely go to a doctor.

Make sure you do some sea salt soaks :smile: it'll heal up don't worry! Just don't touch it with dirty fingers.

gun (i know i know it's meant to be a needle but it's done noww)
thanks for your advice :smile:, i just took some ibuprofen and now my ear just feels like how it used to aha
Reply 94
I've got:
Lobes x2 in each 0/10
Helix 5/10
Tragus 3/10
Nostril 3/10

Retired:
Upper conch 3/10
Nape :frown: 10/10 but I'd still have it redone
Lobes stretched to 8mm, I let them shrink back

I also have 3 tattoos :biggrin:
I have two lobe piercing and I have one cartilage piercing on my right ear
I want a nose and tragus piercing next

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm boring. I have my left lobe pierced but I want my right pierced and MAYBE my tongue. But I'm not so keen on the idea of it although I like the piercing.
Both ears pierced, right one has two piercings. Had my nose pierced but didn't like it, now it's just about closed up
Reply 98
Original post by Chlomc
I'm a big piercing lover and I'm already thinking about what I'd like as my next one as soon as my newest heal and this thread might help me get some first hand info on some. :smile:

So what piercings do you all have and how would you rate them on your own personal pain scale?

Finally what is your faveourite/most recommended piercing out of the ones you have?

So for me

Current piercings
Nose: 3/10 the first time and 2/10 the second
3 x earlobes: 0/10
Navel: 1/10
Nipples: 4/10

Retired Piercings
3 x Forward helix: 3/10
Tragus: 4/10

As you can tell I have a pretty high pain threshold haha, none of them really hurt me.

As for my most recommended and faveourite, it would have to be the nose. I absolutely love it. You can be nice and subtle with studs or make more of a statement with rings. Also I've been through the healing process twice and for me it was probably one of the easiest. So yeah :smile:

What about you lot?

Nose: 3/10
Ear Lobe Industrial: 5/10

My fav is the nose one too! I love my nose ring :biggrin:
I might be braving my nipple tomorrow, definitely getting my second tragus :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest