The Student Room Group

Piano/Keyboard vs Guitar

Hey,

I'm looking to play a musical instrument over summer (and beyond...). I played the piano for a year but that was like 7 or 8 years ago so I'm not very good...and I've never played the guitar.

I was thinking of getting a keyboard purely cos I do have some experience in it, and it's so melodic and seems a little easier to become relatively good at. But then guitar seems to be easier to sing along with and play to more songs than a keyboard,plus I know alot more people that play the guitar and can help me learn...and it seems more practical I guess. I love the sounds of both though and can't decide which one to get.

Also, can anyone recommend which keyboard...or guitar...to get for essentially a beginner? I don't know where to start in terms of buying my first :smile:

Thank you!
Piano is more versatile than guitar and the layout of the keys makes it easier to see the underlying theory in the stuff you're playing. The guitar is cheaper and much more portable, plus you can find lots of free tabs for it where as you often have to pay to get decent sheet music for piano. I think learning piano would serve you better musically in the long term but if you're just looking for something fun that you can pick up and strum along to your favourite songs with, then guitar is a good choice.

As for suggestions as to what models to buy, what's your budget?
I have to disagree with HandmadeTurnip, as I think guitar is much more versatile. The possibilities are endless.

If I were you, I would learn acoustic fingerstyle guitar, as it is very impressive and fun to play.

Quick Reply

Latest