The Student Room Group

Really confused :( help?

Hi all,
hope everyone is well..
Anyways, im super confused on what i should do this yr. i was really interested in forensics and criminology and everything. I passed most of my gcses apart from science (i know) well anyways this yr i took up my first course at college which was applied science an im receiving the results this august, this yr i also was running back & forth between a lawyer and missed out on loads but still managed to catch up on everything however we had a mixup at start of yr and literally for 3 months nobody had done any work an then right at the end we was given a new unit which everyone had to rush :/ so given thaat! Im thinking of taking up level 3 extended dip in health & social as i took it up for gcses btec and progressing onto uni and doing nursing and midwifery as i enjoy that sort of work too.. however all of this seems super hard an everything because i failed my science & maths at gcse level. I also had a dental nursing apprenticeship set on the side as a backup bcos of everything and ive been given a chance.. If i do the apprenticeship can it help me progress to nursing or a wider variety..? Any opinions on what i should do? Please dont be rude because im trying my best. Thank you to everyone who posts & helps xoxoxox
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump
It's a tad difficult to follow what you're actually interested here, I get forensics and criminology, a lawyer or nursing and midwifery. There's a number of different things here, what interests you the most? How much do you know about each of these things? Have you any experience with things like nursing and midwifery? I'm guessing as you've posted in this section of the site it's what you're after advice on. Try and find some experience of some sort for each role, it'll help with making a decision and for any future application.
Original post by Tummytubbles
Hi all,
hope everyone is well..
Anyways, im super confused on what i should do this yr. i was really interested in forensics and criminology and everything. I passed most of my gcses apart from science (i know) well anyways this yr i took up my first course at college which was applied science an im receiving the results this august, this yr i also was running back & forth between a lawyer and missed out on loads but still managed to catch up on everything however we had a mixup at start of yr and literally for 3 months nobody had done any work an then right at the end we was given a new unit which everyone had to rush :/ so given thaat! Im thinking of taking up level 3 extended dip in health & social as i took it up for gcses btec and progressing onto uni and doing nursing and midwifery as i enjoy that sort of work too.. however all of this seems super hard an everything because i failed my science & maths at gcse level. I also had a dental nursing apprenticeship set on the side as a backup bcos of everything and ive been given a chance.. If i do the apprenticeship can it help me progress to nursing or a wider variety..? Any opinions on what i should do? Please dont be rude because im trying my best. Thank you to everyone who posts & helps xoxoxox

A dental nursing apprenticeship? Is that like orthodontic or dentistry? Because if it is then I'm not sure since I don't think you can use an apprenticeship in dentistry to progress to nursing? Although, I did hear some say that you can but I'm not sure again, sorry.

By the way, are you doing your A-levels or are you in Uni? Because I heard that you might be able to do a science subject in A-levels even if you failed it at GCSE if you can convince your teacher or something. During the holidays, you could also try and revise science and maths so that you'll become better in it so it won't seem too hard.

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar
Reply 4
Original post by Firenze26
A dental nursing apprenticeship? Is that like orthodontic or dentistry? Because if it is then I'm not sure since I don't think you can use an apprenticeship in dentistry to progress to nursing? Although, I did hear some say that you can but I'm not sure again, sorry.

By the way, are you doing your A-levels or are you in Uni? Because I heard that you might be able to do a science subject in A-levels even if you failed it at GCSE if you can convince your teacher or something. During the holidays, you could also try and revise science and maths so that you'll become better in it so it won't seem too hard.

P.S.
Sorry for the horrible grammar

Ive just finished my level 2 applied science at college which i think have failed thus, im trying to hang onto this apprenticeship if it makes it easier to get into nursing
Ive just finished my level 2 applied science at college which i think have failed thus, im trying to hang onto this apprenticeship if it makes it easier to get into nursing

Maybe you can wait until the results are given out because if you applied to that apprenticeship when you could have done the degree, you might regret it. Not that I'm saying that apprenticeships are bad but it's more focused in dentistry than nursing so if you're trying to go for nursing in hospitals, then I would suggest doing the degree.

By the way, why did you take applied science?
Reply 6
Original post by Firenze26
Maybe you can wait until the results are given out because if you applied to that apprenticeship when you could have done the degree, you might regret it. Not that I'm saying that apprenticeships are bad but it's more focused in dentistry than nursing so if you're trying to go for nursing in hospitals, then I would suggest doing the degree.

By the way, why did you take applied science?

Yeah, which means il have to do health an social care level 3 an my maths retake, and then do nursing at degree level, but if i have failed science at gcse level does it affect me doing a degree? Also applied science because forensics is my dream, but i know i wont reach there so im just falling on my backup which is hsc. Thankyou for your help btw.
Oh dear, I have just left an apprenticeship in health and social care after 6 months of bloody hard graft! They dont half get their moneys worth out of you. I was working in a residential care home and they just used the apprentices and we hardly had any breaks, I was doing far more than my contracted hours because they dont have to pay you hardly anything. I would suggest to you to keep that as your very last resort.. good luck
Reply 8
Original post by annabelle89
Oh dear, I have just left an apprenticeship in health and social care after 6 months of bloody hard graft! They dont half get their moneys worth out of you. I was working in a residential care home and they just used the apprentices and we hardly had any breaks, I was doing far more than my contracted hours because they dont have to pay you hardly anything. I would suggest to you to keep that as your very last resort.. good luck

My actual question is can dental nursing apprenticeship help me get anywhere into being a midwife or does it help with my cv or anything ?
Yeah, which means il have to do health an social care level 3 an my maths retake, and then do nursing at degree level, but if i have failed science at gcse level does it affect me doing a degree? Also applied science because forensics is my dream, but i know i wont reach there so im just falling on my backup which is hsc. Thankyou for your help btw.

If forensics is your dream, you cannot fall back onto nursing. Nurses need to be dedicated, and they work exceptionally hard. You will not be able to work that hard and do a proper job if you're not committed. Can you see yourself washing, getting dressed and feeding 7 patients in the morning (a lot of whom will have complex needs which make these tasks even more difficult), making all their beds, and giving them all their morning medications, all in 90 minutes? Can you see yourself continuously looking after people, taking them to the toilet, changing their catheters, giving them drugs, inserting intravenous needles into them, comforting them, assessing their conditions, helping to diagnose them alongside doctors, assessing and dressing their wounds (a lot of them are very complex wounds with infections, that are very hard to maintain and heal), and an awful lot more (that's just a snapshot of the massive list of other things nurses do) non-stop on a 13 hour shift? If not, nursing is not for you.

Some nursing courses will accept GCSE equivalents in maths and science, and others will not. You need to contact the universities you'd be interested in to find this out. For all nursing courses, you need to pass a maths and English test at the interviews, and if you fail them then they won't let you in.
(edited 9 years ago)
My actual question is can dental nursing apprenticeship help me get anywhere into being a midwife or does it help with my cv or anything ?

You could use it as relevant experience towards a midwifery application, I'm not too sure if the qualification would be of any use, you'd have to speak to individual establishments about whether they'd count at all. Midwifery is really competitive to get into, while experience working as a dental nurse would be really helpful in your application I think you'd probably have to do some work on the other qualifications you're missing such as the maths.
The only thing is apparently they want you to have evidence and skills on your UCAS application so it could help you in ways of work experience but sounds like the wrong direction, no point making things harder for yourself
Original post by moonkatt
You could use it as relevant experience towards a midwifery application, I'm not too sure if the qualification would be of any use, you'd have to speak to individual establishments about whether they'd count at all. Midwifery is really competitive to get into, while experience working as a dental nurse would be really helpful in your application I think you'd probably have to do some work on the other qualifications you're missing such as the maths.

Thankyou i was looking for this.
Thankyou i was looking for this.

So am I right in guessing that midwifery is what you really want to do? Have you been to any open days or anything like that? It's a good starting point for you if you haven't.

Not having the grades isn't a massive problem, there are ways that you can get these, through things such as access courses and so on. Most universities expect applicants to have gained some sort of experience and you should be able to link that experience to the role of a midwife in your personal statement and in your interview. It's pretty easy to be able to do that if you do this dental nursing apprenticeship as there are a few things within that role that you can link to the role of a midwife..
So am I right in guessing that midwifery is what you really want to do? Have you been to any open days or anything like that? It's a good starting point for you if you haven't.

Not having the grades isn't a massive problem, there are ways that you can get these, through things such as access courses and so on. Most universities expect applicants to have gained some sort of experience and you should be able to link that experience to the role of a midwife in your personal statement and in your interview. It's pretty easy to be able to do that if you do this dental nursing apprenticeship as there are a few things within that role that you can link to the role of a midwife..

Thanks this helped me too! I will defo look into what you've said. So should I do my level 3 diploma first or Shall i go into the apprenticeship which one will benefit me more into nursing. And i have some sort of experience :smile: I was a young career.
Thanks this helped me too! I will defo look into what you've said. So should I do my level 3 diploma first or Shall i go into the apprenticeship which one will benefit me more into nursing. And i have some sort of experience :smile: I was a young career.

The diploma in health and social care will go some way in giving you the relevant qualifications to apply for nursing or midwifery, it may also be able to help you with with the maths too. Most colleges also help you with your university application and writing your personal statement. I don't know loads about the dental nursing apprenticeship, I think it's a mainly vocational course so a lot of it will be spent learning on the job rather than in college. Have you spoken to a college about the health and social care course at all? They may be able to give you a shove in the right direction too.

Having been a young carer is pretty good experience for a nursing or midwifery application too. :smile:
The diploma in health and social care will go some way in giving you the relevant qualifications to apply for nursing or midwifery, it may also be able to help you with with the maths too. Most colleges also help you with your university application and writing your personal statement. I don't know loads about the dental nursing apprenticeship, I think it's a mainly vocational course so a lot of it will be spent learning on the job rather than in college. Have you spoken to a college about the health and social care course at all? They may be able to give you a shove in the right direction too.

Having been a young carer is pretty good experience for a nursing or midwifery application too. :smile:

Tyvm sweets- il speak to someone at college an see if this apprenticeship is gonna waste my time or help for midwifery.

Sorry for the late reply. I think that it might affect your chances but if you can prove that you do have what it takes, then it might not matter. My sibling is actually trying to do veterinary medicine in uni but they only have 4-5 GCSEs due to certain circumstances but after talking to some people, they managed to find a uni that may accept them if they managed to achieve certain grade. So, it won't affect it too much.

By the way, have you considered other degrees that may help you towards forensics? Or if you're trying to get into a certain area of forensics like forensic tech. (or was it digital forensic), you can apply for it with a degree in computer science with a focus on hacking and information retrieval (or so I've heard)?

Quick Reply

Latest