The Student Room Group

English Literature (AQA)

Hi,

I'm in year 10, and one of the subjects I did for early entry was English lit.

I got 27/40 in my coursework piece. How many marks would I need from paper 1 (OMAM and AIC) and paper 2(poems) to get an A?

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Im not sure if this will help but in my english lit coursework I got 34/40 and my teacher said I scraped an A. He said for an A you need to get 33..
Reply 2
Original post by xnads
Im not sure if this will help but in my english lit coursework I got 34/40 and my teacher said I scraped an A. He said for an A you need to get 33..

I was about to write the exact same! I got 34\40 and the teacher noted me it was Band (5 or 1) which was the best band to be in for very high grades, he couldn't tell us exact grade because it was marked and put in 'bands'

Xnads, was you given a GCSE grade or 'bands'?
Original post by xnads

Dont listen to teacher :biggrin: if you look at the official aqa english lit grade boundaries, it is 35/40 for an A* and this has never changed... Look it p yourself if you want to know what an A grade would be but im pretty sure you didn't just 'scrape an A' but got a very high A.
Reply 4
Original post by Gunni098
I was about to write the exact same! I got 34\40 and the teacher noted me it was Band (5 or 1) which was the best band to be in for very high grades, he couldn't tell us exact grade because it was marked and put in 'bands'

Xnads, was you given a GCSE grade or 'bands'?

I was given a GCSE grade. Im not too sure about bands in english literature but in english language It can go up to a band 8 even though I was given a GCSE grade for it and in my speaking and listening It went up to a band 5.
Reply 5
Original post by Angelo12231
Dont listen to teacher :biggrin: if you look at the official aqa english lit grade boundaries, it is 35/40 for an A* and this has never changed... Look it p yourself if you want to know what an A grade would be but im pretty sure you didn't just 'scrape an A' but got a very high A.

Is it? :O Why do teachers always change the grade boundries? Like In science my teacher said I had to get 48 for a C in physics but in fact you need around 31 marks.
Original post by xnads
Is it? :O Why do teachers always change the grade boundries? Like In science my teacher said I had to get 48 for a C in physics but in fact you need around 31 marks.

I think its because they want you to try harder, thinking a C grade is 48 marks would make you determined to exceed it and end up with an A* instead of a C :wink: I think this is a contributing factor to why most people are surprised on results day.
Reply 7
Original post by xnads
I was given a GCSE grade. Im not too sure about bands in english literature but in english language It can go up to a band 8 even though I was given a GCSE grade for it and in my speaking and listening It went up to a band 5.

Our teacher confuses a lot of pupils with this band business and can only tell us "guesses" for the grades. He also said we are doing GCSE and IGCSE and deciding which one we do in yr11 and will "throw away" the coursework which isn't to do with either GCSE or IGCSE. I think its stupid to be fair xD what mark did you get for your listening in interest?
Reply 8
Original post by RG110man
Hi,

I'm in year 10, and one of the subjects I did for early entry was English lit.

I got 27/40 in my coursework piece. How many marks would I need from paper 1 (OMAM and AIC) and paper 2(poems) to get an A?

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I'm doing the same course as you next year. What is the coursework like and what things did you study?
Reply 9
Original post by Gunni098
Our teacher confuses a lot of pupils with this band business and can only tell us "guesses" for the grades. He also said we are doing GCSE and IGCSE and deciding which one we do in yr11 and will "throw away" the coursework which isn't to do with either GCSE or IGCSE. I think its stupid to be fair xD what mark did you get for your listening in interest?

Ikr I don't like it when a teacher gives me a band it confuses me aswell because I don't know what my actual GCSE grade is. For english language we're doing a IGCSE and for literature GCSE. For my speaking and listening I was put in band 1 and got an A.
Well done! I have the same too haha but I'm uncertain if he knows what he is actually doing xD we have to wait for year 11 results as they done IGCSE and if they had a good outcome we have to redo half of the coursework as we done half GCSE and half IGCSE! So yeah, good luck with the real exam you're doing great c:
Reply 11
i got an A* in my coursework for lit, 36/40, what you need to do is go onto aqa ums converter and see what you think you would get in each paper and the ums according to that series will tell you what you need to do and what to aim for atleast, for a B you need 140ums out of 200, for A 160 and A* 180
Hello RG. The AQA English Literature GCSE in your (and my) case is comprised of the following:1) Coursework out of 40 and is worth 25% of total GCSE.2) Exam 1 (OMAM and AIC) out of 68 and is worth 37.5% of total GCSE.3) Exam 2 (Poetry) out of 54 and is worth 37.5% of total GCSE.By UMS conversion, and using typical grade boundaries, I've worked out for you that for an A in the literature course from 27/40 in the coursework, you would require:1) 46/68 in OMAM and AIC (A)2) 35/54 in Poetry (A)Your 27/40 is a low B, but being as it is a relatively low 25% of the course, you can definitely still get an A. The above marks are the minimum and most efficient way for you to get an A from where the coursework has left you. So your coursework certainly hasn't been a hinderance to your potential overall grade! Also, if you get 50 in exam 1 or 40 in poetry, you're on the money for an A. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest