The Student Room Group

How much student loan are you getting?

Well I've seen the old threads about how much people are getting and was wondering how much people are going to be getting for 2014.

In the past I've seen that there are people who are only getting like £30 a week which doesn't seem very much to live on for the entire week. Also mention how much your accommodation is going to cost because it'll be interesting to know :smile:

Use this format to keep it easy

Maintenance Loan:
Maintenance Grant:
Bursaries:
Scholarships:
Savings:
Money from Parents:

Accommodation Cost:
Weekly spend after Accommodation:

Mine are.

Maintenance Loan: £3862
Maintenance Grant: £3387
Bursaries: N/A
Scholarships: £2400
Savings: None
Money from Parents: None

Accommodation Cost: £3403 (37 Weeks)
Weekly spend after Accommodation: £168
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Maintenance Loan: £0
Maintenance Grant:
£0
Bursaries:
£0
Scholarships:
£0
Savings:
£4500
Money from Parents:
£358 p/m (£3222 total)

Accommodation Cost:
£325 p/m (£2925 total)
Weekly spend after Accommodation:
Whatever I like really! Probably be around £25 for food and £50 on bill p/m so my spending money isn't really limited :smile: If I had to divide it out I guess it would be about £90 a week spare.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2

I agree it's totally wrong and everybody should get the same. Just because people's parents earn more doesn't necessarily mean that they are able to support their child when they go to university.

Original post by peedie pixie
Maintenance Loan: £0
Maintenance Grant: £0
Bursaries: £0
Scholarships: £0
Savings: £4500
Money from Parents: £358 p/m (£3222 total)

Accommodation Cost: £325 p/m (£2925 total)
Weekly spend after Accommodation: Whatever I like really! Probably be around £25 for food and £50 on bill p/m so my spending money isn't really limited :smile: If I had to divide it out I guess it would be about £90 a week spare.

Your getting 0 maintenance grant and loan? Why's that?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Maintenance Loan: £3800ish
Maintenance Grant: Nothing
Bursaries: Nothing
Scholarships: Nothing
Savings: £1000
Money from Parents: None. Just food parcels now and then and paying for my laundry.

Accommodation Cost: £3,354
Weekly spend after Accommodation: £17 which really ****ing sucks!
Original post by David B

Your getting 0 maintenance grant and loan? Why's that?

I'm in Scotland and when I first looked into it last year I couldn't get any grant because my parents earned too much and the amount of loan I could get just wasn't worth it. Got by just fine last year without SAAS help (not including tuition fees obviously) so hoping to do the same this year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Chlomc
Maintenance Loan: £3800ish
Maintenance Grant: Nothing
Bursaries: Nothing
Scholarships: Nothing
Savings: £1000
Money from Parents: None. Just food parcels now and then and paying for my laundry.

Accommodation Cost: £3,354
Weekly spend after Accommodation: £17 which really ****ing sucks!

Wow that does suck. By the way is that you in your profile picture? Because if it is you're very pretty :colondollar:

Original post by peedie pixie
I'm in Scotland and when I first looked into it last year I couldn't get any grant because my parents earned too much and the amount of loan I could get just wasn't worth it. Got by just fine last year without SAAS help (not including tuition fees obviously) so hoping to do the same this year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that sucks. But if you managed on the first year you should get by on the 2nd. Doesn't your university offer any funding help? Bursaries and Scholarships?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by David B
Wow that does suck. By the way is that you in your profile picture? Because if it is you're very pretty :colondollar:

Yeahuh it is indeed. Thank you! :3
Reply 7
Original post by Chlomc
Yeahuh it is indeed. Thank you! :3

By the way, what university are you attending if you don't mind me asking?
Maintenance Loan: £3600
Maintenance Grant: None
Bursaries: None
Scholarships: None
Savings: £600 (so far)
Money from Parents: Id be lucky!!

Accommodation Cost: £5447 For a whole year
Weekly spend after Accommodation: - loads

At the moment im working full time at my job (McDonalds!!
:cry:) to try and save up enough money to afford my accommodation!! i think i will be getting money from my parents but it will be coming out of my mums disability money which student finance dont seem to understand? Ive got to keep my job while im at uni mainly because i get free food in my break so thats what im going to be living off!!:frown:
Reply 9
Original post by David B
By the way, what university are you attending if you don't mind me asking?

If results day isn't an utter disaster then I'll be attending Hull :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by MagzHarris
Maintenance Loan: £3600
Maintenance Grant: None
Bursaries: None
Savings: £600 (so far)
Money from Parents: Id be lucky!!

Accommodation Cost: £5447 For a whole year
Weekly spend after Accommodation: - loads

At the moment im working full time at my job (McDonalds!!
:cry:) to try and save up enough money to afford my accommodation!! i think i will be getting money from my parents but it will be coming out of my mums disability money which student finance dont seem to understand? Ive got to keep my job while im at uni mainly because i get free food in my break so thats what im going to be living off!!:frown:

Wow that accommodation is very expensive. Are you off to a university in London? I guess your another one of the students which is from a family earning over the threshold and their parents unable to fund a lot towards it. The fact that you mentioned the money you are going to get from your parents, is coming out of her disability money is just plain wrong.

Original post by Chlomc
If results day isn't an utter disaster then I'll be attending Hull :smile:

No way. I'm off to Hull as well. What course are you studying? Are you staying at The Lawns?
Original post by David B
Wow that accommodation is very expensive. Are you off to a university in London? I guess your another one of the students which is from a family earning over the threshold and their parents unable to fund a lot towards it. The fact that you mentioned the money you are going to get from your parents, is coming out of her disability money is just plain wrong.
Original post by David B

Nope im hopefully going to buckinghamshire new university in high wycombe!! and yupp!! I think its unfair that they've taken into account my mums disability money as when i leave for uni, she will need to pay out for a carer as at the moment im her carer!! Yeah my dad earns quite a bit but my parents are still paying off debt that they've had for many years now which they are only able to pay off now! Im working soo much tp try and save as much money as i can for uni that im not even getting any time to spend with my boyfriend or even my family which is what i wanted to do when i had finished my alevels!!:\
Sorry about the rant, Student finance really annoyed me!!
Reply 12
Original post by David B
No way. I'm off to Hull as well. What course are you studying? Are you staying at The Lawns?

Oh wow :smile: I'd be studying Psychology and yeahuh in Nicholson hall. What about yourself?
Reply 13
Original post by Chlomc
Oh wow :smile: I'd be studying Psychology and yeahuh in Nicholson hall. What about yourself?

I'll be studying Computer Science and staying in Ferens Hall :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by David B
I'll be studying Computer Science and staying in Ferens Hall :smile:

Oh awesome! Well hope to see you there then :wink:
Going to base this on the University i am most likely to get into; Sheffield (insurance):

Maintenance Loan: £2713.00
Maintenance Grant: £5160.00 (Welsh Government Learning Grant)
Bursaries: £1400
Scholarships: £0
Savings: £1000 (Albeit most will go on a new Laptop/Desktop)
Money from Parents: £0 (Albeit they are buying items like pans, towels etc.)

Accommodation Cost: £5107 (42 weeks)
Weekly spend after Accommodation: £123 (~£99 excluding savings)
Reply 16
Maintenance Loan: £3862
Maintenance Grant: £3387
Bursaries: None yet, possibly £850 a year
Savings: About £200, but may be getting a summer job
Money from Parents: None

Accommodation Cost: £4400
Weekly spend after Accommodation: About £85
Reply 17
Original post by Chlomc

Yeah hope to see you too. :cool:
Original post by Chlomc

Original post by David B
Yeah hope to see you too. :cool:

Lmao, how coincidental.
Reply 19
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Lmao, how coincidental.

I'm surprised myself haha. It must be fate.

Quick Reply

Latest