The Student Room Group

Does this sound like bullying to you?

I work in ASDA, and yesterday I had an argument with my manager because he is bullying me, and told him that I would be writing a letter of complaint about him to the HR Manager.

The next time I came in, he turned on the charm offensive and tried to be nicer to me. For some reason he asked if I had brought the letter in, and when I said that I had, he asked to read it.

I don't know why I let him read it, because it was addressed to HR. But when he read it, he became very angry and aggressive towards me, making me think that I had done something wrong.

Does this sound like a typical bullying technique to you? Seemed to me like he had it planned all along.
He's clearly trying to intimidate you. What kind of things did you write in the letter? And did you manage to make a complaint?
Original post by Diamante06
He's clearly trying to intimidate you. What kind of things did you write in the letter? And did you manage to make a complaint?

I was saying that I have been asking him for a change of shift for years but he has not been bothered to do it. In the end, I handed in the letter, but I am angry that he wasn't professional about it.
You really shouldn't have shown him the letter. HR would have dealt with it their way. Anyone would get upset when they read a complaint letter against them.
Managers in supermarkets like to think they have power and are more important than they actually are. at the end of the day, they started off on checkouts or night shifts and progressed into their roles, they like to think they've made it but it's not as though they're the manager of a major banking company.

Send the letter to HR and hopefully the bully is dealt with, they get away with so much
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
I work in ASDA, and yesterday I had an argument with my manager because he is bullying me, and told him that I would be writing a letter of complaint about him to the HR Manager.

The next time I came in, he turned on the charm offensive and tried to be nicer to me. For some reason he asked if I had brought the letter in, and when I said that I had, he asked to read it.

I don't know why I let him read it, because it was addressed to HR. But when he read it, he became very angry and aggressive towards me, making me think that I had done something wrong.

Does this sound like a typical bullying technique to you? Seemed to me like he had it planned all along.

He's quite clearly a very typical intimidator. Give the letter to the HR and ignore the man's idiotic behaviour - it'll be sorted out soon-enough.
Reply 6
I work for ASDA, here's some advice for making a formal complaint.

Go straight to your Personal Manager. Not the ones who deal with holidays, uniform etc, go straight to the manager.

Explain to him/her your situation, and they'll likely say to write a formal letter of complaint (which you already have done). Usually after, that gets the ball rolling and you'll get invited to an interview with the Personal Manager, the colleague you have your complaint against and usually another 'key colleague' who will take notes/act as a neutral party. Remember, you're entitled to have someone there for your benefit during this interview.

Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ItsRoryG
I work for ASDA, here's some advice for making a formal complaint.

Go straight to your Personal Manager. Not the ones who deal with holidays, uniform etc, go straight to the manager.

Explain to him/her your situation, and they'll likely say to write a formal letter of complaint (which you already have done). Usually after, that gets the ball rolling and you'll get invited to an interview with the Personal Manager, the colleague you have your complaint against and usually another 'key colleague' who will take notes/act as a neutral party. Remember, you're entitled to have someone there for your benefit during this interview.

Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My manager is a bully and an intimidator and he will intimidate me and others to twist things his own way. I don't think I have the fight anymore.
Reply 8
I thought you worked for Sainsbury 's :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest