The Student Room Group

New Thor is a woman, it's a great day for feminism.

Scroll to see replies

*cough* Rule 63 *cough*
Reply 41
Original post by Muppet Science
Not sure why this is great for Feminism... you've taken a male God and have made Him female - why is this good? Sure, if we had a mainstream film with a strong female protagonist then yay, but this just confuses me.

P.S. that is unless I am being spectacularly thick/ misinformed

we are breaking the patriarchy.
Original post by zippity.doodah
except "catwoman" (as opposed to catman) will be a man, and "wonderwoman" (as opposed to wonder "man") will be a man with this logic, because "thor" isn't being turned into "she-thor", it's just "thor" (already a male) having a sex change operation! because there's no distinction being made between thor and this female thor, meaning that now thor is no longer a man, as there is no notice of two gendered thors existing simultaneously

Marvel I'm pretty sure said that the original Thor was still going to be around but had become unworthy of Mjolnir. I think he's said to be wielding an axe (with a far more forgettable and less catchy name) whilst new Thor has Mjolnir.
Original post by Gwilym101
This is a hammer that the hulk a ten foot tall, impossibly strong rage monster could not lift because the hammer didn't like him. Pretty sure anyone worthy can just lift the damn thing.

lel true.
Original post by Marky Mark
That picture is a photoshop btw. :lol: You can see it around the edges but it gives you an idea.

What do you think of the new captain america being black???

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jul/17/marvel-comics-captain-america-black-falcon

steve rodgers is only one person to don the suit. There have been others who wore the spangled outfit. So no issue with the guy being black.

Original post by Muppet Science
Not sure why this is great for Feminism... you've taken a male God and have made Him female - why is this good? Sure, if we had a mainstream film with a strong female protagonist then yay, but this just confuses me.

P.S. that is unless I am being spectacularly thick/ misinformed

Your not being thick, unless your a comic geek and havent heard. THe marvel writers have turned Thor into a woman.

Original post by tengentoppa
Following on from this trend I suppose we'll have Wonderman and Catman.

there already is a catman - http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Catman
So Thor, the god of thunder and lightning is announced as female, and the UK is hit by thunder and lightning,

Coincidence, I think not!!!
I hate the idea, there is nothing wrong with strong women at all, infact I would want my future wife/daughter/s to b strong independent women! But come on *in an italian american accent* ..... Thors a guy, why ruin what is a great thing. Make a new superhero who is female, give Black widow a bigger part in the films, but don't f*** with Thor.

Marvell are doing this to try and widen their audience but in doing so have alienated all their traditional fans. NOT HAPPY!
Because she's a woman?

Thor's character is based on his strength , correct me if i'm wrong but does the new female actor for thor emulate great strength?
Original post by TheAnusFiles
I hope they make The Hulk into a midget.. sorry little person... who upon becoming enraged grows to a colossal height of 5'9

That would actually be great :biggrin:
Reply 49
Original post by Jacob Lawrence
I hate the idea, there is nothing wrong with strong women at all, infact I would want my future wife/daughter/s to b strong independent women! But come on *in an italian american accent* ..... Thors a guy, why ruin what is a great thing. Make a new superhero who is female, give Black widow a bigger part in the films, but don't f*** with Thor.

Marvell are doing this to try and widen their audience but in doing so have alienated all their traditional fans. NOT HAPPY!

traditional fans? You serious?
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Thor's character is based on his strength , correct me if i'm wrong but does the new female actor for thor emulate great strength?

A woman can't be strong is that what you're saying?

I'm talking specifically about the new actor , not women in general.
From what I have seen in newspaper comments and forums all the traditional type fans, the ones who read comics and watch the films, are angry and are not fans of the idea! They have done to Marvell what Cameron did to the tories!

Yeah... white males... their traditional fans..

Not the one in the OP thats for sure lol.
Instead of changing Thor a well established male character in the comic universe to a female, they should be looking into movies and Tv shows for already well established female characters like She-Hulk, Black Widow, Jessica Jones or Elektra. This just seems like a publicity stunt move to prove they care about the feminist casue when they really don't. If you really care about it promote the female characters already existing. I personaly think it's a bad idea which won't turn out well but I'm interested to see what happens if they do still go ahead with it after seeing the intial fan reaction.
Original post by hotshothenry24
Instead of changing Thor a well established male character in the comic universe to a female, they should be looking into movies and Tv shows for already well established female characters like She-Hulk, Black Widow, Jessica Jones or Elektra. This just seems like a publicity stunt move to prove they care about the feminist casue when they really don't. If you really care about it promote the female characters already existing. I personaly think it's a bad idea which won't turn out well but I'm interested to see what happens if they do still go ahead with it after seeing the intial fan reaction.

I'm not even a fan of Thor but I totally agree with you here. Why should it be that women have to take over male roles? If women want to be portrayed as strong or whatever, do go to the other characters you've mentioned, rather than taking over something that is already established. All this is the result of ultra-feminists screaming about the patriarchal world and wanting to crow 'haha-we've taken something of yours you evil males'. It's getting unbearably annoying.
Yeah... white males... their traditional fans..

What does colour have to do with Thor being a women or male? Besides the comic shop I visit has black shoppers!?!? :biggrin:
Original post by Jacob Lawrence
What does colour have to do with Thor being a women or male? Besides the comic shop I visit has black shoppers!?!? :biggrin:

I was just saying that their traditional fans were white males, hence why most of the characters are, and is this shop you visit in the 1940's?
Reply 58
Original post by zippity.doodah
making thor a woman is ****ing silly, I'm sorry
if they made a female thor-ish character to be the sidekick that wouldn't be bad, but making a big strong macho-man into a woman...jesus christ
what's next? the hulk will get a sex change operation?

There was a minor Marvel character called Brunnhilde or Valkyrie, who was an Asgardian and basically a female Thor.

She was in the B-list for just about everything (Defenders, etc), though and didn't really have anything to do with Thor.

(edited 9 years ago)
I was just saying that their traditional fans were white males, hence why most of the characters are, and is this shop you visit in the 1940's?

True, but I don't see why that matters? When i say traditional fans I mean people who read the comics regardless of age. PS Marvell was 'the in thing' in the 50s, 60s and 70s, although it was a small comic niche in the 40s :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest