The Student Room Group

Who will be the biggest flop of the transfer window?

Sanchez, lallana, markovic, can, Costa, Fernando, Herrera, shaw?

Or anyone else I missed

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

Not any of LFC players.
Probably one of the Liverpool players. They can dress it up how they want but so far they've replaced class with mediocrity.
Reply 3
Original post by Wilfred Little
Probably one of the Liverpool players. They can dress it up how they want but so far they've replaced class with mediocrity.

Lambert on his day is good as Suarez !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Luke Shaw

With such an inexperienced back line or one which is cobbled together during this window, the Man Utd backline will be shaky and the pressure will tell on Shaw imo.
I think I might go with Lambert, but at £4m its hard to flop.

I think Shaw will be fine, even under Moyes we had a lot of the ball, our full backs tend to be going forward more often than backwards. LVG will work well with a player of his age anyway. I'd think Herrera is far more of a risk, I think CM is the hardest position to adapt to in a new league, the dynamics of the league are so different there.
Markovic.
Markovic just seems like another Lamela.
Reply 8
Herrera, people seem to be expecting scholes 2.0 whereas they will find he's a poor mans fabregas. shaw and some LFC signings could flop too. (LFC fan) I see lallana having a meh season and i think people will expect too much of markovic so even a decent season people will say he's flopped.
Reply 9
Lallana.
Original post by cem101
Herrera, people seem to be expecting scholes 2.0 whereas they will find he's a poor mans fabregas. shaw and some LFC signings could flop too. (LFC fan) I see lallana having a meh season and i think people will expect too much of markovic so even a decent season people will say he's flopped.

I have never seen anyone compare him to Scholes. Herrera is a good upgrade on Man United's midfield though. I saw the match when Athletic beat Barca and he was quite good; won possession back, committed tackles, nifty through balls, hardworking. He got more goals and assists last season than Carrick, Cleverley, Fellaini and Fletcher combined.

He's no Toni Kroos though but doubt he'll flop.
Lallana.
Reply 12
I'm a Liverpool fan. By most people's standards, I'd say Markovic. He reminds me too much of Aquilani, who was a really good player, but started off injured and then didn't want to play for us any more.

All of the other Liverpool players are either cheap or proven in the league already. I see Diego Costa being labelled a flop in a year's time as well.

I don't see there being many other massive flops. Maybe for the lesser teams that will try and spend big (in comparison to their own size) on random players.

Original post by cem101
i think people will expect too much of markovic so even a decent season people will say he's flopped.

The fact that Rodgers is buying other experienced attackers this window in addition to the fact that Markovic is only 20 years old makes me believe that even the club don't expect him to be a star this season. I hope the fans don't expect too much of him just yet.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by h3isenberg
I have never seen anyone compare him to Scholes. Herrera is a good upgrade on Man United's midfield though. I saw the match when Athletic beat Barca and he was quite good; won possession back, committed tackles, nifty through balls, hardworking. He got more goals and assists last season than Carrick, Cleverley, Fellaini and Fletcher combined.

doesn't change the fact that he's not a man united midfielder.

liverpool have gerrard
chelsea have fabregas
city have yay a tour
arsenal have ozil
united cannot expect to keep pace with any of their bunch. henderson is better than herrera.
Reply 14
Original post by RVNmax
I'm a Liverpool fan. By most people's standards, I'd say Markovic. He reminds me too much of Aquilani, who was a really good player, but started of injured and then didn't want to play for us any more.

All of the other Liverpool players are either cheap or proven in the league already. I see Diego Costa being labelled a flop in a year's time as well.

I don't see there being many other massive flops. Maybe for the lesser teams that will try an spend big (in comparison to their own size) on random players.

The fact that Rodgers is buying other experienced attackers this window in addition to the fact that Markovic is only 20 years old makes me believe that even the club don't expect him to be a star this season. I hope the fans don't expect too much of him just yet.

ye i expect him to feature a lot nonetheless.

Sturridge
Lallana Sterling
Henderson Coutinho
Gerrard
Moreno Sakho Lovren Johnson
Mignolet

he should be a great impact player, like when sterling came on against tired teams at 60 minutes i expect that from markovic. Remy is good cover for sturridge for injury concerns and rotation too. skrtel and agger or ilori and agger for cover, enrique and flani can allen lucas seems fine.

lucas may be leaving soon though. i think we would need another midfielder to come in.
Luke Shaw will not be a bad left back but he will certainly be a flop for a left back. Markovic will do a Henderson, he will be labelled a flop, a failure and the worst buy and for 1-2 season he will be poor but then he will turn it round and people will acknowledge his talent, just like Hendo.
Can will be sick in a few years, no-one expects anything of him this season.
Costa will struggle and like Shaw, he will be unable to justify his price tag but he will not be too bad.
Original post by Alex Doran
Luke Shaw will not be a bad left back but he will certainly be a flop for a left back. Markovic will do a Henderson, he will be labelled a flop, a failure and the worst buy and for 1-2 season he will be poor but then he will turn it round and people will acknowledge his talent, just like Hendo.
Can will be sick in a few years, no-one expects anything of him this season.
Costa will struggle and like Shaw, he will be unable to justify his price tag but he will not be too bad.
The Liverpool bias is strong.
Reply 17
Original post by h3isenberg
He got more goals and assists last season than Carrick, Cleverley, Fellaini and Fletcher combined.

No idea if he'll come good or not, but spot some logic fail there. Even Martin Skrtel got more goals than them put together. Heck, add Nani, Kagawa and Anderson to that list. It doesn't mean that you should pay £29 mil for Skrtel as a midfielder as it didn't really take much to beat those players on the goal scoring front.

Edit: On a side note, why do so many people rate Henderson so highly. (From a couple of comments made in this thread) As many non-Liverpool fans as well as us Pool fans. Although he still might turn out okay. But, most of his performances last season could've been replicated by an injured Anderson.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RVNmax
No idea if he'll come good or not, but spot some logic fail there. Even Martin Skrtel got more goals than them put together. Heck, add Nani, Kagawa and Anderson to that list. It doesn't mean that you should pay £29 mil for Skrtel as a midfielder as it didn't really take much to beat those players on the goal scoring front.

How is that logic fail? All I said was that statistically in terms of goals and assists he's better than Man United's current crop of central midfielders. I'm comparing midfielder to midfielder here so bringing a defender into this is more of a logic fail.
Original post by Fizzel
The Liverpool bias is strong.

I am actually a Hull fan so ...

Quick Reply

Latest