The Student Room Group

Getting over infatuation tips?

I'm obsessed with a guy from Uni that I've never even spoken to. I've seen him a few times on the bus, he smiles, and that's it. I really wanted to speak to him but I was too shy, now it's killing me that I have to wait months for me to have a possible chance of talking to him now. I admit that the reason I'm obsessed is because I think he's cute and that's it really, don't know anything else about him. So yes, I'm infatuated, not in love.
The mental effects are worse than I thought it would be for the Summer. I'm feeling anxious and dread causing me to have insomnia which I've never had before. I feel quite scared to tell anyone about this because I'm too embarrassed. I can't believe this guy is on my mind and that I'm clicking on his Facebook profile like more than ten times a day.

I thought I was in love first, but then when I heard other people's similar stories I kind of figured it was infatuation. Please can someone with any experience of this give me some tips to get over this. It's really bugging me. Thanks.
Reply 1
Get on a different bus or change you routine in one way or another.

It's really hard to teach yourself not to react to infatuation because it's a natural reaction and you will always have feelings of either anxiety or a rush of excitement or another sort of feeling when you see someone 'cute' and it's hard to control it. It's the same as when you keep looking at someone because they are really good looking; you notice yourself looking back at them several times and it's almost like you can't stop looking at them even when you know you need to stop, sort of thing.

Easiest way is avoidance. Don't look at him, and try not to even encounter him.
Reply 2
That's not normal behaviour. You don't even know him as a person.
oh boy i have a lot of experience in this area :P

yeah i think the main thing is to avoid seeing him anymore, everyday you're just gonna have to train yourself to stop little habits like checking his facebook. try and focus on other things instead of him
Reply 4
Original post by ThoughtIsFree
oh boy i have a lot of experience in this area :P

yeah i think the main thing is to avoid seeing him anymore, everyday you're just gonna have to train yourself to stop little habits like checking his facebook. try and focus on other things instead of him

At least other people have also suffered from this. It's good knowing I'm not alone. I admit the Facebook thing is weird, he doesn't even know anything about me as we've never had a conversation, yet I'm constantly clicking on his Facebook. I don't even know why.
Imagine him having a poop

Blood all over his face

With a black eye

Imagine him after a night out, really drunk
Original post by ldsbabe
That's not normal behaviour. You don't even know him as a person.

No, it is quite normal to be infatuated with a person you don't know.
You can either avoid him completely and allow time to help you forget him... or you could actually go up to him and try to have a conversation?
Reply 8
Yeah this exact same thing keeps happening to me...over and over and over and over again! It really bugs the hell out of me. It consumes so much energy, damn. There isn't an easy way to get over it I don't think, you just have to focus on something else and try to control yourself, even though it's a really intense feeling and it's difficult just to stop feeling that way. As empty as it sounds, the best advice I can give is to forget about it! Sorry if that's not helpful. I've never found a way to deal with this problem, and it happens all the damn time. ffs

If you keep fantasising and obsessing, it will only grow and get worse, don't feed it any more.
Reply 9
Original post by bronzeaward
You can either avoid him completely and allow time to help you forget him... or you could actually go up to him and try to have a conversation?

I think I might try to talk to him after the summer. This happened in University by the way. I'm worried that he might be with someone else over the summer and I don't even know why I worry. I shouldn't, he isn't even mine.
Original post by Anonymous
Imagine him having a poop

Blood all over his face

With a black eye

Imagine him after a night out, really drunk

That doesn't help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending