The Student Room Group

Fashion at Uni

Hi everyone!!

I really hope I don't sound like a spoiled brat explaining the question I have. So, I'm going to a UK university (Manchester) and I'm from NYC. I don't stick out a lot because of what I wear when I'm at home, or when I was in Paris, but I'm worried Manchester is going to be different. I don't wear "weird" things but I dress up a lot, even for everyday classes. I like to wear classic things like Ralph Lauren, Kate Spade, J. Crew- but I also like to wear more "urban" edgy things like Supreme, Helmut Lang, Theory, Alexander Wang, etc. I'm nervous I won't make friends because I dress nicely and it would make me seem stuck up. I also am very health-conscious and don't eat gluten or drink alcohol, and go to the gym a lot. But I still go out, I like to dance :biggrin: From what I've read I don't think Manchester is as "posh" or whatever as, say, London, where wearing what I do might be more normal. However, I don't really like stuck-up attitudes, I kind of just want to fit in and make friends without having to give up my love of fashion at the same time. Will I stick out less than I think I will? Am I just worried about nothing?

Thanks for listening!!
ps- As this is a fashion forum, I keep reading about posh or something called "rah" people wearing Abercrombie, and I think it's really funny because in America no one would be caught dead wearing Abercrombie over the age of 12. I bet we wear stuff that you guys wouldn't too, like maybe Burberry or something :P
Original post by cookie195
Hi everyone!!

I really hope I don't sound like a spoiled brat explaining the question I have. So, I'm going to a UK university (Manchester) and I'm from NYC. I don't stick out a lot because of what I wear when I'm at home, or when I was in Paris, but I'm worried Manchester is going to be different. I don't wear "weird" things but I dress up a lot, even for everyday classes. I like to wear classic things like Ralph Lauren, Kate Spade, J. Crew- but I also like to wear more "urban" edgy things like Supreme, Helmut Lang, Theory, Alexander Wang, etc. I'm nervous I won't make friends because I dress nicely and it would make me seem stuck up. I also am very health-conscious and don't eat gluten or drink alcohol, and go to the gym a lot. But I still go out, I like to dance :biggrin: From what I've read I don't think Manchester is as "posh" or whatever as, say, London, where wearing what I do might be more normal. However, I don't really like stuck-up attitudes, I kind of just want to fit in and make friends without having to give up my love of fashion at the same time. Will I stick out less than I think I will? Am I just worried about nothing?

Thanks for listening!!
ps- As this is a fashion forum, I keep reading about posh or something called "rah" people wearing Abercrombie, and I think it's really funny because in America no one would be caught dead wearing Abercrombie over the age of 12. I bet we wear stuff that you guys wouldn't too, like maybe Burberry or something :P

Manchester is a decent place (my sister lived there) id say in comparison to london its a lot more laid back (i live in london). But overall you only allow people to think what they think of you by the impression you give off.

Id say wear what you want, but dont turn your nose up at other people or be like 'ew primark whats that' 'thats so cheap' etcetc. And dont expect people to not see you as a bit different for wearing so many named brands.

Just smile and get on with it. If youre comfortable in it, why shouldnt someone else be

Posted from TSR Mobile
You'll fit right in. A lot of students in the UK have that hipster vibe with the likes of Supreme etc. Although the likes of alexander wang might be a bit to expensive. Most students in the UK shop of ASOS, River Island, H&M, Mango or Zara as that is what they can afford.

A lot of people might consider you posh in the UK, but I've never seen people hate on people with expensive clothing taste. As long as you don't show off you should be fine. :biggrin:

London is definietly not "posh" unless you live in places like chelsea and kensington.

I always assumed people always liked to make friends with people with good taste in clothing :tongue:.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
That's so great!! I like some stuff from Asos too :smile: Everywhere I read on this website there is so much hate for what people consider "posh" and it made me so nervous that I wouldn't make friends and everyone would hate me. I definitely wouldn't make fun of someone because of where they got their clothes, because I know that someone with a better sense of style could get clothes from H&M and look a lot better than someone who got clothes from Harvey Nichols. I guess I'm just being stupid and nervous about starting a new school haha :P
That's so great!! I like some stuff from Asos too :smile: Everywhere I read on this website there is so much hate for what people consider "posh" and it made me so nervous that I wouldn't make friends and everyone would hate me. I definitely wouldn't make fun of someone because of where they got their clothes, because I know that someone with a better sense of style could get clothes from H&M and look a lot better than someone who got clothes from Harvey Nichols. I guess I'm just being stupid and nervous about starting a new school haha :P

It's normal to feel nervous especially when from another country. :biggrin:

I dont see how a persons clothing can define them as seeming posh...

I can only see that as the case if they go round all high and mighty and ive been called posh (because im in east london and speak properly and went to private school so). But yeah you should be fine. Theres a mix of everything wherever you go regardless

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Thanks you're totally right. I hope I get to meet people as nice as you! :biggrin:
Hi everyone!!

Thanks for listening!!

You should feel comfortable wearing whatever you want! At the end of the day it is your body and you can dress it however you wish. I doubt anybody would make any comments though. I too wear formal attire to lectures and I also wear clothing from J.Crew, Tory Burch etc... Nobody has ever said anything to me although I have often been asked why I'm dressed like I'm going to a meeting. :lol:

There will be a wide range of styles at Manchester and you'll just be one of many. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Technetium
You should feel comfortable wearing whatever you want! At the end of the day it is your body and you can dress it however you wish. I doubt anybody would make any comments though. I too wear formal attire to lectures and I also wear clothing from J.Crew, Tory Burch etc... Nobody has ever said anything to me although I have often been asked why I'm dressed like I'm going to a meeting. :lol:

There will be a wide range of styles at Manchester and you'll just be one of many. :smile:

hahah thanks i'm so glad you understand, in high school some people would be like, is there a dress code i don't know about? :P

I don't really think this website is an accurate representation of the United Kingdom - I'd be pretty scared if it was. Whether you'll be overdressed often depends on your course. People in some courses tend to dress up a lot more than other courses. For example, I find journalism students will often make themselves look nice, and people in business and IT courses will often dress quite professionally, while people in science courses will just throw on whatever's clean, although obviously those are big generalisations. As someone who does dress quite cheaply though, I would never have a problem with someone who does dress nicely. I might feel a bit cautious of people who dress nicely and go to the gym at first, because sometimes I just feel like we might not have a lot in common, but once you realise people aren't snobs about it, which doesn't take long, there's no reason I'd avoid someone just for having nice clothes and things.

Also, most students probably wish they had the time and money to dress like you, they just have a rather limited budget.

Also, if people make jokes about any of this stuff, try not to take it personally. I find Americans will often get really offended by small jokes, they're probably just being friendly, don't think that people actually hate you if they make jokes about you having rich tastes or whatever.
Reply 10
Original post by alejandro_o
I don't really think this website is an accurate representation of the United Kingdom - I'd be pretty scared if it was. Whether you'll be overdressed often depends on your course. People in some courses tend to dress up a lot more than other courses. For example, I find journalism students will often make themselves look nice, and people in business and IT courses will often dress quite professionally, while people in science courses will just throw on whatever's clean, although obviously those are big generalisations. As someone who does dress quite cheaply though, I would never have a ******* with someone who does dress nicely. I might feel a bit cautious of people who dress nicely and go to the gym at first, because sometimes I just feel like we might not have a lot in common, but once you realise people aren't snobs about it, which doesn't take long, there's no reason I'd avoid someone just for having nice clothes and things.

Also, most students probably wish they had the time and money to dress like you, they just have a rather limited budget.

Also, if people make jokes about any of this stuff, try not to take it personally. I find Americans will often get really offended by small jokes, they're probably just being friendly, don't think that people actually hate you if they make jokes about you having rich tastes or whatever.

I'm glad you said it is a poor representation. I'm in a science course (Computer Science) and no one dresses like I do so I'm kind of used to it in that course, but not in the university at large. Yeah Americans have a tendency to get "butthurt" about sarcasm, irreverent jokes, etc. and I've had a ******* with other people getting offended as well. Thanks for taking the time to be reassuring; I really appreciate it!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest