The Student Room Group

Why do some people only "tolerate" gays?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheAnusFiles
Thats sick. Hope the culprit got kneecapped

I know.
Original post by Jordanap
It is though. I know plenty of gay people - 50% (atleast) throw their hands about in a conversation and have a 'gay' accent. The figure for straight men that have the same actions and accent is about 2%. Definitely a trend.

You can throw figures around, but when you haven't actually kept track, they don't mean much. And how would you quantify how much gesticulation was normal? Or what a 'gay' accent actually entails?

I'm just trying to be scientific about this. If you're going to make generalisations about a large group of people, you need solid evidence to back it up.
(edited 9 years ago)
It is though. I know plenty of gay people - 50% (atleast) throw their hands about in a conversation and have a 'gay' accent. The figure for straight men that have the same actions and accent is about 2%. Definitely a trend.

Well, that's why quite literally two gay people I know do what you're describing out of like 70...
Original post by ApeMob
How bout you come out and stop hiding, how about that :rolleyes: Then we can really discuss what's rubbish.

How about you find something other than anonymity to comeback at? The anonymous option is here for those who want to use it and I do.

My reasons are my own. If it's such an inconvenience, feel free to not comment on this thread.
Look, think of it this way, it took forever for women and various races to be treated as any less than second class citizens. The LGBT community have only been campaigning for rights for a short time compared to other repressed groups. This is just life and hey tolerance is at least progress. With any luck, in time proper acceptance will come.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
That's really peculiar. Because, of course, he was always gay - the only thing that changed was that he is now more obviously so, and it is no longer a secret. Do you think he had previously adopted a deeper voice to try and act more like a stereotypical male, perhaps subconsciously?

I think before he didn't know - he kissed girls and even fingered one at the back of a cinema. He went away for summer 'straight' and when he came back to school he was gay and his voice and actions changed
Original post by EllieC130
Look, think of it this way, it took forever for women and various races to be treated as any less than second class citizens. The LGBT community have only been campaigning for rights for a short time compared to other repressed groups. This is just life and hey tolerance is at least progress. With any luck, in time proper acceptance will come.

I know it's just life but I'm just expressing the fact that I think it's sad that this is the reality we live in. Yet so many people from other communities fail to value the respect and allowances they receive. But yes, I do see this and I also hope it will come. Soon.
The problem with this thread is that it only makes people feelings on gay people more extreme. Seriously, someone tolerating gays is far better than someone who goes out and makes lives for gay people a living hell. Attacking people for only tolerating gays only makes them more annoyed, rather than making them embrace gay people with open hands.
I think before he didn't know - he kissed girls and even fingered one at the back of a cinema. He went away for summer 'straight' and when he came back to school he was gay and his voice and actions changed

My cousin had relationships with girls and did things he didn't really think he should have done purely to make a statement that he was heterosexual even though he wasn't. His parents used to talk often about many different homophobic things. In fact, his dad never spoke to him again and he never references to him as "dad", just his first name.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
You can throw figures around, but when you haven't actually kept track, they don't mean much. And how would you quantify how much gesticulation was normal? Or what a 'gay' accent actually entails?

I'm just trying to be scientific about this. If you're going to make generalisations about a large group of people, you need solid evidence to back it up.

I think everyone knows what a gay accent is - it's all like "heeeeey". All of their sentences end higher pitched

Just over the weekend I spent a considerable amount of time with 4 gay people. 2 with the theatrics and accent, and 2 without (1 of these just has the accent, but he's really quiet). Weirdly, they're both couples - one of each in the relationship.

Over the weekend I was also with 50+ straight men. How many had the 'gay' accent and arm waving theatrics? None.

I don't need scientific proof, I've experienced it first hand. Gay people behave differently because they are gay
Original post by Ajibola
The problem with this thread is that it only makes people feelings on gay people more extreme. Seriously, someone tolerating gays is far better than someone who goes out and makes lives for gay people a living hell. Attacking people for only tolerating gays only makes them more annoyed, rather than making them embrace gay people with open hands.

I apologise but could you read my responses previously to these sorts of comments? I'm just trying to state how unfair it is that that's all people think this community deserve. It's barbaric in my eyes.
I think everyone knows what a gay accent is - it's all like "heeeeey". All of their sentences end higher pitched

Just over the weekend I spent a considerable amount of time with 4 gay people. 2 with the theatrics and accent, and 2 without (1 of these just has the accent, but he's really quiet). Weirdly, they're both couples - one of each in the relationship.

Over the weekend I was also with 50+ straight men. How many had the 'gay' accent and arm waving theatrics? None.

I don't need scientific proof, I've experienced it first hand. Gay people behave differently because they are gay

There can be many explanations for this but I'm not going to try and make you believe that it's anything less than because they're Gay as I don't know why they act like it so that would be wrong of me to try and do that. However, I do disagree and believe it's a personal choice to behave in that way or whatnot, not a "gay trait".
Original post by Anonymous
I think it's hilarious that people feel they can only "tolerate" someone because they love the same gender. It's just incredible the way the LGBT community get treated by a lot of people and I'm not part of that community but as an outsider looking in, would you honestly like to be hated on for loving a girl if your a guy or vice versa? Because I highly doubt that.

Just discuss this please. It's ridiculous.

The term "tolerate" is a big one from liberal philosophy, because you can't try to control how people think. If you can build a tolerant society, everyone should have personal freedom. It's kind of negative, in accepting that humans are always going to have irrational prejudices, but is not ridiculous to treat humans as totally rational? Some people aren't going to like you. If they aren't impacting your life, get on with it.

Original post by iamu
Pretty much. In a club trying to feel me up, out my space before hit you.

Also don't get why gays can't just act like a normal guy, wheres the need for the ridiculous over the top voices etc

I used to get loads of attention of gay blokes, and I moaned. Now I've lost my boyish looks I don't get any- well it was nice for my confidence...

Have you ever thought that the only ones you know (or assume) are gay are the loud ones?
Reply 53

Yeah but how is it a problem?! Does this 'gay accent' or 'gay arm waving' or whatever gay you to death? If gay people do act differently how does this affect you?

' gay accents' does not =problem so this isn't even a discussion on toleration of gay people is it really?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 54
The worst thing is when a person actually believes that 'tolerating' gay people make them open-minded. >.<
Reply 55
Original post by Anonymous
How about you find something other than anonymity to comeback at? The anonymous option is here for those who want to use it and I do.

My reasons are my own. If it's such an inconvenience, feel free to not comment on this thread.

Lol no I felt very free to comment, and you'd rather berate people for disagreeing with your already aggressive OP behind an Anon. :teehee:
Original post by alapa
Yeah but how is it a problem?! Does this 'gay accent' or 'gay arm waving' or whatever gay you to death? If gay people do act differently how does this affect you?

' gay accents' does not =problem so this isn't even a discussion I'm toleration of gay people is it really?

No? OP said that gay people don't act differently to straight people. They do, I've experienced it.
Reply 57
Original post by Mankytoes
The term "tolerate" is a big one from liberal philosophy, because you can't try to control how people think. If you can build a tolerant society, everyone should have personal freedom. It's kind of negative, in accepting that humans are always going to have irrational prejudices, but is not ridiculous to treat humans as totally rational? Some people aren't going to like you. If they aren't impacting your life, get on with it.

I used to get loads of attention of gay blokes, and I moaned. Now I've lost my boyish looks I don't get any- well it was nice for my confidence...

Have you ever thought that the only ones you know (or assume) are gay are the loud ones?

I love this post. A straight guy confident enough to perceive gay attention as a confidence boost instead of an attack on his masculinity.
Original post by xloisx
The worst thing is when a person actually believes that 'tolerating' gay people make them open-minded. >.<

Y.E.S.
Original post by ApeMob
Lol no I felt very free to comment, and you'd rather berate people for disagreeing with your already aggressive OP behind an Anon. :teehee:

Yes, yes. It was very aggressive... No.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending