The Student Room Group

Why do some people only "tolerate" gays?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alapa
Yes but then again. It's not a gay issue really is it? It's a maturity issue. Of course some guys may be like 'wtf get a life!' If a gay man was to make cheesy advances. That's so totally cool. As long as its becaus the gay man was being a doosh bag and not just because he was gay if you get what I'm saying?

Nobody should feel harrased or intimidated. I do agree with you, but its not a sexuality issue.

i would assume if a gay man is making advances on another man, its very much to do with them being gay. it may be worng but the impression people get of gay men is they are sex-mad, even during middle age. this is magnified somewhat as being of annoyance to straight men too, i suppose- , mainly on the principle they are not buying what you are selling- dont you get annoyed with cold callers trying to sell you stuff you dont want?
Reply 81
Original post by Anonymous
i would assume if a gay man is making advances on another man, its very much to do with them being gay. it may be worng but the impression people get of gay men is they are sex-mad, even during middle age. this is magnified somewhat as being of annoyance to straight men too, i suppose- , mainly on the principle they are not buying what you are selling- dont you get annoyed with cold callers trying to sell you stuff you dont want?

Gay men are no more or less sex mad then straight men. Therefore a straight man hitting on a female who doesn't want to know is no worse then a gay man hitting on a straight man who doesn't want to know.

Yes I agree with the cold caller comment. But as a lesbian it is usually (99.9% of the time) straight men trying to sell themselves to me. Sometimes I find it irritating and sometimes I find it endearing.

As I said before. It is not a sexuality issue. Only uncomfortable straight folks make it so.
Original post by alapa
Gay men are no more or less sex mad then straight men. Therefore a straight man hitting on a female who doesn't want to know is no worse then a gay man hitting on a straight man who doesn't want to know.

Yes I agree with the cold caller comment. But as a lesbian it is usually (99.9% of the time) straight men trying to sell themselves to me. Sometimes I find it irritating and sometimes I find it endearing.

As I said before. It is not a sexuality issue. Only uncomfortable straight folks make it so.

No, gay men are definatly more sex mad, certainly well into middle age. gays define themselves on their sexuality, they have marches of pride to refer to the fact. straight men tend to define themselves by their social class, career, ethnicity etc. they dont have marches highlighting the fact they are sexually attracted to females
(edited 9 years ago)
No, gay men are definatly more sex mad, certainly well into middle age. gays define themselves on their sexuality, they have marches of pride to refer to the fact. straight men tend to define themselves by their social class, career, ethnicity etc. they dont have marches highlighting the fact they are sexually attracted to females

This is completely unfair. Gays have Gay Pride to celebrate the fact that they no longer have to be oppressed. Look into the history of Pride before you make these judgments. Many other situations where freedom from oppression has been achieved in the cases of other minorities, have celebrations to commemorate their suffering. Your comment about straight people not having marches:

Yes. Damn right too. They don't need it? When were they ever oppressed or treated differently BECAUSE of their sexuality? Plus, everyone knows when a male's straight anyway so they don't need such parades because they parade their sex-crazed attitudes towards women with pride.
Some make it evident that they're gay by acting overly feminine. It's this that annoys me and disgusts me.
Original post by swan stardust
I TOTALLY TOTALLY agree with you.It makes me really angry seeing people ''tolerating'' or ''accepting'' as if attraction and love are things to ''tolerate'' or ''accept''.Also,there are some people who are like ''i don't have problem with him/her although he/she is gay/lesbian'' and they make it seem like a defect when it's a very beautiful thing.Homophobia disgusts me.

I absolutely agree. I love you for this comment.
Original post by AstroNandos
Some make it evident that they're gay by acting overly feminine. It's this that annoys me and disgusts me.

Many heterosexual men make it evident that they're straight by shagging any female that moves, flirting with every girl they see and generally being homophobic bigots to let everyone else around them know they're not of that persuasion themselves.
Maybe because they just haven't been exposed to them before and all they know is what they see on TV? It's not that uncommon, I personally have never met a gay person in my life
(edited 9 years ago)
Many heterosexual men make it evident that they're straight by shagging any female that moves, flirting with every girl they see and generally being homophobic bigots to let everyone else around them know they're not of that persuasion themselves.

I also find that behaviour quite annoying too. I don't really have a problem with others flirting with every girl they see unless it is truly with every girl they see.
Reply 91
Original post by iamu
Pretty much. In a club trying to feel me up, out my space before hit you.

Also don't get why gays can't just act like a normal guy, wheres the need for the ridiculous over the top voices etc

I'm not sure you've met all that many gay people.

In fact, the only gay guys I know are equally pissed off by the effeminate touchy "gay man-boy" voice as I am.
It is ****ing annoying, but to say gay guys should stop using it would imply the majority of gay guys do, which they don't (and in fact I bet the majority of them you wouldn't even know were gay).
(edited 9 years ago)

So it's okay for a girl and a guy to do the same?

Yes
This is completely unfair. Gays have Gay Pride to celebrate the fact that they no longer have to be oppressed. Look into the history of Pride before you make these judgments. Many other situations where freedom from oppression has been achieved in the cases of other minorities, have celebrations to commemorate their suffering. Your comment about straight people not having marches:

Yes. Damn right too. They don't need it? When were they ever oppressed or treated differently BECAUSE of their sexuality? Plus, everyone knows when a male's straight anyway so they don't need such parades because they parade their sex-crazed attitudes towards women with pride.

i perfectly accept the reasoning of the original marches in 1970s in repsonse to police oppression of gay community in the usa, you could liken it to the suffragettes or american civil rights movement. this isnt the same as i was talking about which is pride marches not degnerating simply as opportunities for men to dress and act as women or open referring to their having sex with men. to protest against mistreatment is one thing, to make attention seeking parades of ones sexuality is another. again whether you think striaght men are sex crazed or not, they dont parade this fact in the streets ( not if they are sober anyway) they would keep this to their bedrooms, so it would be tolerable
Well personally my default attitude to anyone is "I tolerate you" until they do something which makes me like or dislike them. I cannot see any reason why I (or anyone else) should treat a group of people differently because of who they find attractive, or any other reason that does not affect me positively or negatively.
Reply 95
Original post by AstroNandos

What, why :lolwut:

How are they any more disgusting or annoying than bigoted, sexist, homophobic 'lads' who go around shouting about how many 'chicks' they've slept with?

But yeah, the same old intolerant, hateful attitudes are coming out on this thread, like the classic perception that ALL gay people fit the exuberant, feminine, high-pitched voice stereotype which plainly isn't true. And I can never understand the views of the right on homosexuality who will always spout the same old rubbish like 'Oh its a liberal gay agenda blah blah blah...', as if the increased tolerance towards homosexuality and the LGBT community in the 21st century is somehow a bad thing. I mean just look at countries like Russia where you get beaten up and tortured simply because of your sexuality, how on earth can any decent person want that in their society, they're human beings who just happen to have different sexual preferences to you through no fault of their own, why do they deserve to be treated like aliens or be treated any differently to anyone else, when homosexuality has existed for 1000s of years.
(edited 9 years ago)
So, bare in mind this comment is coming from a strong atheist who has always been pro gay rights.

You really can't complain that the LGBT community is only being 'tolerated'.

To be honest, it seems one massive reason why people are against the LGBT community is because of religion. Now, of course not all religious people are against LGBTs, (and there are many religious LGBT people), but it still teaches in some religions that the community isn't accepted by God (or whoever). Of course, it's unfair to strip people of their rights because of a belief that no one can prove, but people also shouldn't have to change their beliefs just to be accepting. To be honest, tolerance is a beautiful thing, and should be appreciated by communities which have had to fight for their rights, and actually should be appreciated by anybody.
As long as the LGBT community is not being shunned, or stripped of rights, or fought against, then I see no problem. Tolerating means that whilst the people may not approve (and everybody has their own reasons for it), they are not making life difficult for the LGBT group, and therefore they really aren't doing anything wrong, you can't force people to like you.

Eventually hopefully we'll see homophobia become similar to racism, it's nearly non existent, and in our society at least it's considered extremely weird, racists would be shunned by our current western society, and actually we're even starting to see in this country that homophobes are being shunned, which is a step there.

All in all though, you can't force someone to believe the same thing as you (but I think NO ONE should have their rights removed, so I think tolerance is the least that the LGBT community should have), I honestly think all reasonable reasons against the LGBT community are down to religion, which I don't believe in, so I have no issues with the LGBT community (there are other arguments, such as being unnatural, but I think those are all massively flawed and can be argued against. The religious reasons would lead to a religious debate which is a whole different issue), but as long as no one is harming your rights, or harming you either physically or mentally (or in any other way) you really can't complain.

I've rambled in this and probably not made too much sense, whoops.
Original post by hello101010

Yes

No.
No.

pls give reasons
Original post by hello101010
pls give reasons

I already have at countless stages. You shouldn't need reasons to explain such an obvious point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending