The Student Room Group

What A-levels to choose? Didn't do GCSE's!

I just moved from Canada to England three weeks ago, so I never completed GCSE's. The school that I'm enrolled in is letting me join whatever classes I choose (I maintained an average of 90ish% last year and all years before that) and I took all AP classes (advanced placement). I want to study Law in University (preferably criminal or international/world law) and I need to decide on my A-levels.
I've been in a French immersion program for four years (all my classes are in French) and I'm somewhat fluent (we learnt reading and writing more than oral production) and I feel confident taking a French A-level as I hope it would be easy marks, but I have no idea if it is hard or easy or what even happens in the class, how fluent should you be to take the class? The A-level would help too because I don't want to lose the language and I hope to either study in France for my degree or spend a year there.
I've always been a lover of history (even though we never really did it, we did social studies). And would really enjoy the class & doing research and writing papers. So would that help?
My school offers the Law Alevel and I've heard positive & negative things about it, is it a good idea?
I'm rubbish at Maths and don't see a reliable connection for sciences, so sticking with the 'humanities', I've considered English Langauge and English Literature, by the sounds of it Language sounds as boring to me as anything and I'd much rather enjoy the Lit. but what would be better?
I think those are my top 5, so far Law, history and french being my preferred, but I'm totally willing to take whatever courses are best.
Some of the classes may even overlap so I have to prioritize them, but I have no idea haha.
So any help with what the classes are like/what to expect and what classes would be best would be really appreciated!
Reply 1
I`d say to ask the college students, as well as the teachers or those courses, as they can advise you best. Research more on the courses, and if you have a career path in mind, try to choose courses that would be suited to it. I did English Language, and personally enjoyed it, so let me know if you have any questions regarding the course :smile:
I'm not interested in law but a few people at my sixth form have chosen the following combinations, thought it may be useful... somehow :smile:
Eng lit, History, law, RE
Eng lit, Sociology, history, govt&politics
Law, Psychology, Eng lang, RE
Law A-level is not required for a Law degree, and you'd be better off going for English Literature if you had to choose between the two (but obviously you don't). Most British kids going into French A-level will have had nowhere near the amount of French education you've had, so you should be okay (I say this cautiously because obviously there are differences between French and Canadian French, so you might encounter a few niggles here and there).

Your choices look good, but this is only my knowledge from reading a lot of TSR threads. Law at university doesn't actually have any specific requirements, so you're best just taking a series of facilitating subjects you enjoy (History and English Lit are both facilitating subjects, to the best of my recollection).

Quick Reply

Latest