The Student Room Group

Tooth ache, unregistered at dentist.

I have bad tooth ache and I'm not registered to a nhs dentist (can't afford private). How do I go about getting treatment because the pain is killing me!!
Reply 1
Well you can just go in to any NHS dentist which is accepting new patients and register then make an appointment, which will unlikely be for today however but still. Ask to be put on the cancellation list, so you can get offered an earlier appointment if someone cancels. Some dentists have emergency drop-in hours so check that out. Once I was in so much pain, I just went to my dentist, explained the situation and they agreed to see me once they'd seen all the patients for the day. Mind you, I was already registered, but its worth a go.

In the meantime, take painkillers to ease the pain. Go to the pharmacy and try and get some behind the counter stuff like Paramol which should be more effective than just paracetamol, aspirin, ibuprofen or whatever it is that you're already asking.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
You can ring up the nearest dentist and see if they will take you as an emergency patient, otherwise they will give you a number for the local nhs and they will make an appointment for you to go to a dental practice that is dealing with any emergency work in that area. They will charge you £20 if I recall and they will only do enough to stop it hurting, you will need to visit the dentist to get the problem fixed properly as it's just a temporary solution to stop the pain.
Original post by Gonzolo
You can ring up the nearest dentist and see if they will take you as an emergency patient, otherwise they will give you a number for the local nhs and they will make an appointment for you to go to a dental practice that is dealing with any emergency work in that area. They will charge you £20 if I recall and they will only do enough to stop it hurting, you will need to visit the dentist to get the problem fixed properly as it's just a temporary solution to stop the pain.

How much do you reckon it would cost private if say in the worst case scenario I need a tooth pulled or root canal or something?
Reply 4
Get an emergency appointment. Failing that, go to a walk in medical centre.
Managed to get an nhs appointment tomorrow. Cheers guys.

Quick Reply

Latest