The Student Room Group

Do you wash your car?

Found this article earlier:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/9867834/British-drivers-too-lazy-to-wash-their-cars.html

I found it pretty interesting because I'm 18 and I enjoy washing my car!

So, the question is do you wash your car or would you rather pay for it to be done for you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I do, when I can be arsed...

Funnily enough, I did wash my Reliant Robin this morning, though!
Original post by JC.
I do, when I can be arsed...

Funnily enough, I did wash my Reliant Robin this morning, though!

I bet that was fun. :wink:
Reply 3
I get the car washed for me. It's leather interior inside so I just get the outside washed at a car wash and also hoover, then use wipes to clean the inside. But rarely.... I haven't had it done for ages now :colondollar:
Original post by Butterfly92
I get the car washed for me. It's leather interior inside so I just get the outside washed at a car wash and also hoover, then use wipes to clean the inside. But rarely.... I haven't had it done for ages now :colondollar:

How much do you pay to have the outside washed?
Reply 5
Original post by Josh_Bowskill
How much do you pay to have the outside washed?

Only £3 :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Butterfly92
Only £3 :smile:

Doesn't cost a penny to do it yourself! :cool:
Every morning before I set off I dust the mats.

Every Saturday morning I give the interior a vacuum, steering and controls a quick wipe with baby wipes and use a screen cleaner for the touch screen.

Exterior, I have it washed every 2 weeks or so otherwise the watermarks on the car is horrible. I also get it professionally waxed every month or so, just a simple coat. Every 3 months have it polished and waxed. Once a year I have it clayed, polished and waxed and also get the interior detailed, usually entails the seats being waxed and the carpets steam cleaned.
I get it washed, £10 for inside and out, saves me time and probably money buying all the soap and stuff. And I just cannot be bothered anymore, used to love doing it to parents cars when I was younger.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I pay some Eastern Europeans to do it. They're much better than I'll ever be.

It's £5 outside only - for some reason they don't count Tiguans as SUVs - thank God.

I'd pay more if the girls did it though, but that hasn't quite made the transition. If there are any bikini car washes around, I have no doubt they're in some horrible place in the East Midlands.
Reply 11
Original post by Josh_Bowskill
I bet that was fun. :wink:

Not as fun as driving it. Like nothing I've ever owned!
I wash mine about once a month but I think in the future I will pay to get it washed for me.

I'll admit though it's great seeing a shiny, clean and bird muck free car after the effort spent cleaning it yourself :biggrin:
Original post by JC.
Not as fun as driving it. Like nothing I've ever owned!

Can only imagine the stares your car gets as you drive it through town!

Has the robin ever tumbled over when you've driven it?!

Thinking of that top gear episode when Jeremy clarkson drove it :rofl:
It depends. My car is black, and if it's really dirty I find that the hand car wash tends to not do a great job, so if it's really dirty I tend to do it myself. Otherwise, it's the hand car wash.
I washed mine on Sunday and it went in for a service yesterday and it has come back today covered in filth. :frown:
Reply 16
Average of once a month or every other month I do it myself. There is no point in doing it more often as a bird usually poos on it from the tree its parked under at home, and at work there is a big factory being built nearby which creates loads of dust further rendering cleaning it pointless.
How do you guys wash your car ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by UrbanMonkey
How do you guys wash your car ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Usually start by removing the floor mats and giving it a vacuum with Glade Shake n Vac.
Then use the same Glade Shake n Vac on the carpets.
Then I spray the air intake and vents with Dettol anti bacterial spray and run the air conditioning for a few minutes.
Vacuum the carpet.
Wipe the steering and controls with baby wipes.
Clean the touch screen and instrument panel with a screen cleaner.
Wipe the door panels, sills and kick plates.

Reverse the car outdoors.

Blast the bodywork with my Bosch High Pressure wash.
Use car shampoo and a sponge to clean the roof and glass.
Rinse off the shampoo.
Wash the boot and rear half of the car.
Rinse off the shampoo.
Wash the bonnet and front half of the car.
Rinse off the shampoo.
Wash the wheels.
Rinse off the shampoo and blast off the dirt from the underside of the car.
A final full rinse.
Use my leaf blower to blow the water off.
Store the tools and hose.
Fill up the windshield washer fluid.
Check the tyre pressure.
Drive the car back into the carport.

Go take a shower :biggrin:
Reply 19
Only once. There's no point in washing it because it's a tiny, old and weak car. And the bumper is messed up.

Quick Reply

Latest