The Student Room Group

Speaking and Listening exam

Our exam board is making us do a 10 minutes exam were you speak about a subject to your examiner for three minutes while they record you, then they ask you questions for 6-7 minutes which you have to answer. Has anyone already experienced this, if so, any tips? I'm quiet and shy so this is going to be a challenge for me :s-smilie:
Reply 1
Choose something you're interested in and passionate about (it doesn't have to be academic), and that you think you can answer questions on. To deal with shyness, have an idea of what you want to say beforehand and write out some trigger words on cards to remind you (do not use a script). When it comes to answering questions, don't be afraid to pause for a few seconds before answering.
Original post by RebeccaLong
Our exam board is making us do a 10 minutes exam were you speak about a subject to your examiner for three minutes while they record you, then they ask you questions for 6-7 minutes which you have to answer. Has anyone already experienced this, if so, any tips? I'm quiet and shy so this is going to be a challenge for me :s-smilie:

The biggest problem with shyness is the myth that you find it impossible to do anything involving public speaking. This is untrue. I think you're more introverted. Just before going in for the exam try and find your nerves in your body. Once you have located them they will soon disappear. Try and know what to say too. It doesn't have to be a mechanical speech word for word but a few bullet point allowing for elaboration creates a genuine feel to the speech.

Read this: http://www.carlkingdom.com/10-myths-about-introverts
It's an excellent link and I'm certain it will help you out.
Reply 3
Thank you, both answers have been helpful although I haven't actually taken the exam yet. The school has now decided that we have to talk about whatever subject we used in our writing to argue coursework. This has narrowed it down a bit, and everything should be fine....hopefully.....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending