The Student Room Group

skirt problems, so embarrassed

my skirt blew completely right up in the middle of town and about 5 lads saw. it made me cringe. i feel so embarrassed and I want to cry. I went so red and just carried on walking but felt violated.

am I right to feel like this or am I being too paranoid. should I just have laughed it off, like I obviously had underwear on

if it happened to you would you feel the same way?

my boyfriend says I should wear shorts with skirts and never underwear unless it is really tight. is that something everyone does. I only thought you do that at school

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It happens to me on an almost daily basis on my walk to work in the city. I really don't care. You'll never see them again so it doesn't matter! You probably made their week :smile:
Reply 2
just do it. wear some shorts and if it happens again, they won't see your knickers now will they?
Or wear a modest dress....
Reply 4
Don't worry, these things happen all the time . Wearing shorts all the time seems a bit ott. Why not sew some curtain weights into your skirts and dresses that are made of lighter materials to stop them blowing up? :smile:
Reply 5
It shouldn't happen all the time though as we try and hold our skirts down when we feel the wind

I don't understand how girls don't care about it I mean everyone's just basically saw you in your knickers you wouldn't let them see if they came up to you and said pull your skirt up maybe they have better bodies than me
I don't get why people care if others see their underwear. It's just a bit of fabric over your skin and no more revealing than a swimming costume. Hence why whenever I'm on the beach I sometimes wear underwear instead of trunks as nobody knows or cares anyway?

But maybe it's different for girs? :s-smilie:
Original post by LeonardoDaVinci
I don't get why people care if others see their underwear. It's just a bit of fabric over your skin and no more revealing than a swimming costume. Hence why whenever I'm on the beach I sometimes wear underwear instead of trunks as nobody knows or cares anyway?

It's all about perception.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
It shouldn't happen all the time though as we try and hold our skirts down when we feel the wind

I don't understand how girls don't care about it I mean everyone's just basically saw you in your knickers you wouldn't let them see if they came up to you and said pull your skirt up maybe they have better bodies than me

So many things wrong with what you just said. When my dress blows up it's usually for a split second. I'm not purposefully exposing myself, and lets be honest you don't see much.
These things happen, lighten up!!!
Has happened to me a few times. Just wear thin shorts underneath your skirt if it's the type that can blow up in the wind :redface:
Original post by Anonymous

I hear you can get this fabric to wear underneath your skirt that stops it from blowing up when it's windy. You should look into getting that. It doesn't restrict you either so you won't notice it.
Reply 11
Isn't the whole point of underwear to make this a non-event?
Reply 12
Original post by LeonardoDaVinci

I've always thought this.

Girls are perfectly fine to stand on a beach in front of a thousand random people in a bikini which is essentially knickers and bra but a different material.

But when

1. Your skirt blows up
2. You can look up your skirt
3. You are getting undressed
4. Someone asks to see you in underwear
5. Your skirt/top was pulled or whatever else

Girls are like OMG EWWW NOOOOO

Hmmmmm

It's amazing how people completely change their personalities according to where they are I.e a beach or a street.
You'd wander around on the beach in a bikini perfectly fine - relax!
You should've just laughed it off imo :tongue:
Don't worry, that happened to my Year 11 Record Of Achievement (or prom, whatever) dress. In front of about 300 pupils, teachers and parents who were all taking photos of the year 11s. It happens to most people, and they'll forget sooner rather than later.
Original post by lee1985
I've always thought this.

Girls are perfectly fine to stand on a beach in front of a thousand random people in a bikini which is essentially knickers and bra but a different material.

But when

1. Your skirt blows up
2. You can look up your skirt
3. You are getting undressed
4. Someone asks to see you in underwear
5. Your skirt/top was pulled or whatever else

Girls are like OMG EWWW NOOOOO

Hmmmmm

It's amazing how people completely change their personalities according to where they are I.e a beach or a street.

The difference is that when girls' underwear is revealed, it's secretive and embarrassing because underwear is more heavily sexualised than a swimming costume, and in cases like your skirt blowing up, people looking up your skirt, walking in on you getting undressed, they're seeing something that the girl would rather keep private (plus a couple of those scenarios are a bit pervy). A girl chooses for her bikini to be seen by everyone, but she does not choose for everyone to see her lacey thong / Bridget Jones knickers.
I thought everyone would know to wear shorts under their skirts.. :s I feel naked without shorts on underneath
Original post by funkydee19
I thought everyone would know to wear shorts under their skirts.. :s I feel naked without shorts on underneath

I don't know many who do wear shorts under skirts, actually, I find I get too hot, defeating the point of wearing a skirt anyway?
Original post by AmyAintDead
The difference is that when girls' underwear is revealed, it's secretive and embarrassing because underwear is more heavily sexualised than a swimming costume, and in cases like your skirt blowing up, people looking up your skirt, walking in on you getting undressed, they're seeing something that the girl would rather keep private (plus a couple of those scenarios are a bit pervy). A girl chooses for her bikini to be seen by everyone, but she does not choose for everyone to see her lacey thong / Bridget Jones knickers.

Nope, it's all the fault of that oppressive wind and its entitlement to the female body :wink:

OP nothing to be embarrassed about, shockingly we do all have legs and underwear under our clothes as we go about our daily business.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending