The Student Room Group

GCSE Results: Retake and Remark information - 21 August 2014

Thursday 21st August 2014 GCSE Results Day - Retake and Remark Information
GCSE Results day is just round the corner and we hope that you all did as well as you wanted! If, however, you did not do quite as well on some of your papers, you may wish to consider retaking some papers or getting some of your papers remarked. This thread will aim to give you information regarding retakes and remarks, with many FAQs being answered.

If your query is still not answered, please feel free to make a post in this thread. To get the attention of the mods looking after these threads, just copy and paste the following into your post:
[noparse]
usycool1
x

Changing Skies
x

MathsNerd1
x

Nirgilis
x

[/noparse]
If you wish to have a general chat about GCSE Results Day, please visit the GCSE Results Day 2014 Chat thread. When the exam boards release them, grade boundaries will be posted on the Grade Boundaries thread. If you are slightly disappointed with your grades, have a look at the Didn't do as well as you hoped? thread for advice.

All the best for results day!

Retake information
If you didn't perform as well on a paper as you think you should have, you have the option of retaking papers in the following exam season. For most subjects, this will be in June 2015. For some subjects such as Maths and English, however, you may be allowed to retake in November of this year. Please note that most of this information is true for pupils studying in England - if you are studying somewhere else, there may be slightly different rules for you.

Please note that retake rules have changed somewhat considerably this year, so please make sure you have a read of this section before deciding on whether you want to retake or not.

Wait! In the past, I could retake in January?
January exams as of last year were scrapped, meaning you no longer have the option to retake then.

Can I retake only one paper, or will I need to retake all the units?
Unfortunately, you can no longer retake only part of the qualification - you will need to retake all units (exams) for a particular subject to satisfy the new terminal rule (see below for more information on the terminal rule). The only exception to this is controlled assessment units - you can carry forward the same controlled assessment mark from the previous exam season to the next.

So does this mean that I will need to retake all subjects?
No - you just need to retake all papers for a particular subject whose grade you're not happy with.

What is this new terminal rule?
The new terminal rule states that you have to complete 100% of the qualification in the final examination series in order to be awarded a certificate. This has replaced the previous 40% terminal rule, in which 40% of the qualification needed to be completed in the final examination series in order to be awarded a certificate. This means that if you decide to retake, you will end up with two certificates - one with the original mark and the other with the new, retake mark.

If I do worse on my retake, which mark will count?
If you decide to retake a controlled assessment, the retake mark of your controlled assessment will be the one that counts even if it is lower than the original.

As stated above, you will receive two (or more, depending on the number of times you retake) certificates - one with the original mark, the other with the retake mark. If (for example) you score B, C, D (in that order) in a particular subject, you will be perfectly entitled to say that you have a grade B in that subject. However, if you plan on going to university, you will need to declare all grades as they will all be certificated.

Can universities see that I retook subjects? If so, do they care?
As you need to declare all certificates on UCAS, universities will be able to see that you retook subjects.

If you plan on applying to a competitive course where there are strict GCSE requirements in addition to A-Level requirements, then universities may frown upon retakes. In most cases though, GCSE retakes are not looked upon too negatively.

How many times can I retake a subject?
There is no limit for the number of times that you can retake exams for a subject, provided the 100% terminal rule is met each time.

Will I have to pay?
There is usually a price that you will have to pay to retake units. It's best to speak to your examinations officer to confirm how much you need to pay, as it can vary between centres.

Many thanks to Mr M and TenOfThem for their help in this section.

Remark information
If you feel that your paper was marked incorrectly, you can get your paper remarked. The deadline to request a remark is the 20th September 2014.

If the result of my remark is lower, can I keep my original mark?
No - the result of the remark is final, even if it is lower than the original.

Will I have to get all my papers for a particular subject remarked, or can I just get one paper remarked?
Unlike retakes, you can request a remark for only one paper.

How likely is it that my mark will change?
In general, subjects in which the marking is less subjective due to the following of a strict markscheme (e.g. Maths, Sciences etc.) are unlikely to have been marked incorrectly. As a result, it is unlikely that marks will change in these subjects.

For subjects where the examiner has to make more of a judgement in the marking (English, History etc.), there may be a difference in what one examiner considers A grade material in comparison to another examiner. Therefore, it is more advisable to request remarks for subjects in which the marking is more subjective.

Before making a final decision on whether you want a remark or not, bear in mind that marks can go up as well as down. It may be best to speak to your teacher to get advice, have a look at the examples below or post in this thread asking for people's opinions before making a final decision.

Can I request to see my script to help decide if I want a remark?
For GCSE, it is not possible to see a copy of your script before requesting a remark. You can request to see your original paper, but this will mean that a remark cannot be requested. Following a remark, you can also request (at an additional cost) to see a remarked copy of your paper.

What is a clerical check?
A clerical check is where an examiner looks through your paper and recounts all the marks that you were awarded, just to ensure that no marks or pages were missed out. It is very rare for marks to change through a clerical check, so it is more advisable to get a remark instead.

Can I request for a controlled assessment to be remarked?
If your controlled assessment was marked by teachers and then a sample was sent off to be moderated, then it is not possible for individual controlled assessments to be remarked. A centre, however, can request for the whole centre's controlled assessments to be sent off for a remark. This is up to the discretion of the centre though, as marks can go up as well as down.

Do I have to pay?
There is usually a small charge that you will need to pay for your papers to be remarked. It is best to speak to your examinations officer as the exact price can vary between exam boards and centres. If your mark changes though, your money will be refunded.

As a guide to the fees, have a look at the following links (Note: you may require a .pdf viewer):

The table below summarises the prices for these exam boards:

Should I get my paper remarked or should I retake?
This depends on your circumstance, so it's difficult to give a conclusive answer. Some common scenarios are described below. If you're still unsure as to what option you should take, it may be a good idea to make a post in this thread explaining your situation. Better still, seek advice from your subject teacher to see what they suggest.

factor I didn't perform as well could have because understand the content/because of some outside

boundary I was just a few UMS marks short of the next

either. I don't think I'll have enough time to retake a GCSE alongside my next set of qualifications. My UMS marks are not close the boundary

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Again, this is great! Thanks :biggrin: and thanks to Mr M and TenOfThem too :yep:
Great document!
I got my CIE IGCSE English (Lang & Lit) results back today along with my French.
I got an A* in my French, A in my Language and B in my Lit.
I thought that for my performance in the exam that I should have got higher grades. Shall I go speak to my teacher (who is atrocious btw) and see what he thinks to do? Remark? Retake?
Some of my friends in much lower sets got much higher marks than me so could it be the marker or a mix up?
I just need this straightened out in my head because at the moment that B is crushing me.

usycool1
x

Changing Skies
x

MathsNerd1
x

Nirgilis
x
Reply 3
Original post by iaminneedofhelp
x

Firstly, congrats on your results - they're awesome! :biggrin:

I thought that for my performance in the exam that I should have got higher grades. Shall I go speak to my teacher (who is atrocious btw) and see what he thinks to do? Remark? Retake?

I think that you may as well speak to your teacher to see what they think, you don't have much to lose that way (hopefully they're not that atrocious :tongue:). I don't know much about how CIE do things, I'm afraid, but I don't think they give you any sort of UMS mark with your results? If they don't, just bear in mind before making a decision that your mark could go down as well as up so it could be a bit risky. :sadnod:

I think that your teacher will be the best person who can advise you if it's best to retake or remark. :smile:

Some of my friends in much lower sets got much higher marks than me so could it be the marker or a mix up?

With subjects like English where the marking is more subjective, it could well be something that the examiner who marked your paper was harsh. It's difficult for us to say for certain though, as no one on here has seen your paper so can't comment. :tongue:

If you do decide to go for a remark, there is more information regarding post results services for CIE here: http://www.cie.org.uk/images/174738-enquiry-about-results-uk-factsheet-june-2014.pdf (if you're in the UK).

If you're an international student, you can find more information here: http://www.cie.org.uk/images/174737-enquiry-about-results-int-factsheet-june-2014.pdf

:smile:
Thank you very much! You've helped me out a lot and were very helpful in getting my head sorted out :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by iaminneedofhelp
Thank you very much! You've helped me out a lot and were very helpful in getting my head sorted out :smile:

No problem at all! Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :h:
Reply 6
Thanks for the thread:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Rk2k14
Thanks for the thread:smile:

No problem. :h:
Reply 8
wow i dont think i did well this year. I revised really hard for my science exam and knew everything but once i took the exam I had a breakdown ;/. I am definitely going to retake if i get a B.
Hi and thank you for making this thread it really helped however I have a question to ask:
my school sent letters out about automatic remarking and that the school will ask for your permission if you want a specific exam to get remarked if they think you can get the next grade or whatever- I replied to the letter saying I do want to get asked about the remarking exams rather than being automatically put in for it.
The questions I have are:
-how long do you wait to find out the remark grade? And will it affect enrolment or anything for college/sixth form?
- if your school automatically put you in for remarking with your permission does that mean I will have to pay for it or is it free because obviously that'll affect what I'll do?
Thanks for making this thread once again and thanks for answering the question if you can :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by CaitlinN15
Hi and thank you for making this thread it really helped however I have a question to ask:
my school sent letters out about automatic remarking and that the school will ask for your permission if you want a specific exam to get remarked if they think you can get the next grade or whatever- I replied to the letter saying I do want to get asked about the remarking exams rather than being automatically put in for it.

Hey, no worries! :smile:

:-how long do you wait to find out the remark grade?

There is no exact time for how long you have to wait, but usually they come back in about 2 weeks I think. It can vary between exam board and between different subjects though .

And will it affect enrolment or anything for college/sixth form?

It's probably best to let your desired Sixth Form/College know that you've sent a paper off for remark. Different colleges may have different policies regarding this, so it's probably best to ask them directly. :smile:

- if your school automatically put you in for remarking with your permission does that mean I will have to pay for it or is it free because obviously that'll affect what I'll do?

Again, it'd probably depend on your school so it might be best to ask them. :tongue:

At my old school, they'd pay if they entered you for a remark but it may be different for yours. :smile:
Original post by usycool1
Hey, no worries! :smile:

There is no exact time for how long you have to wait, but usually they come back in about 2 weeks I think. It can vary between exam board and between different subjects though .

It's probably best to let your desired Sixth Form/College know that you've sent a paper off for remark. Different colleges may have different policies regarding this, so it's probably best to ask them directly. :smile:

Again, it'd probably depend on your school so it might be best to ask them. :tongue:

At my old school, they'd pay if they entered you for a remark but it may be different for yours. :smile:

Aww thanks so much for answering these questions I feel a lot better about it now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you are refunded (if your mark changes during a remark), could there possibly be a financial incentive for exam boards to not change a mark or two in a 'benefit of doubt' situation which would only affect a few marks?
Reply 13
Original post by Ecconomist
If you are refunded (if your mark changes during a remark), could there possibly be a financial incentive for exam boards to not change a mark or two in a 'benefit of doubt' situation which would only affect a few marks?

I highly doubt it - grades do go up for some people. Also, many of the exam boards operate on a non-profit basis from what I've been told. :smile:
MathsNerd1
x

Hi guys well i have a feeling that I will get an A in Maths GCSE (aqa linear) as i have looked at unofficial markschemes. So i just wanted to know what would universities think of me resitting it (i want to do medicine) if i resat maths to get the A*? The reason for me doing this is because i really thought i would get an A* (it was like one of the subjects i was sure to get it) and my teacher + parents expect me to get it. Also will i be able to do it in November?
Original post by DannyBoyMorrison

Hi guys well i have a feeling that I will get an A in Maths GCSE (aqa linear) as i have looked at unofficial markschemes. So i just wanted to know what would universities think of me resitting it (i want to do medicine) if i resat maths to get the A*? The reason for me doing this is because i really thought i would get an A* (it was like one of the subjects i was sure to get it) and my teacher + parents expect me to get it. Also will i be able to do it in November?

This is exactly the situation I'm in; I'm almost sure I have an A and really want an A* in maths (not for medicine, just for my own personal targets to be met). Would something like this be frowned upon? It's not like we failed once and had to retake for a C or anything :redface:
Reply 16
Original post by DannyBoyMorrison

Original post by tanyapotter
This is exactly the situation I'm in; I'm almost sure I have an A and really want an A* in maths (not for medicine, just for my own personal targets to be met). Would something like this be frowned upon? It's not like we failed once and had to retake for a C or anything :redface:

Firstly, you don't need an A* in GCSE Maths to do Medicine - have a look at this page: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements (from that page, Birmingham is the only Medical School that requires an A* in it).

Personally, I would say that in this case, there's no need to retake if you've already scored the A grade. I know it must be frustrating to not quite meet your own personal target but if you do decide to retake, there is the risk that you may fall behind with your AS levels/whatever you plan on doing next and that's not really worth it - an A grade at GCSE is still fantastic! :smile:

Good luck for tomorrow and you never know, you may have surprised yourself! :smile:
Subbed.

I'll answer some questions :smile:
Reply 18
English Language I have a B if I get 8% more its an A or 3% lower I get a C.
For Biology I am 6 UMS off of a A*.
For English Literature 7% off A* but if it goes 5% lower I get a B.
For History I am 24 UMS off of a A* or 14 UMS off of a B if it gets lowered.
So for which ones should I get a remark. I am particularly concerned about English Language where I got a B other wise I'm happy.
Original post by Atsushi
English Language I have a B if I get 8% more its an A or 3% lower I get a C.
For Biology I am 6 UMS off of a A*.
For English Literature 7% off A* but if it goes 5% lower I get a B.
For History I am 24 UMS off of a A* or 14 UMS off of a B if it gets lowered.
So for which ones should I get a remark. I am particularly concerned about English Language where I got a B other wise I'm happy.

Bear in mind that exam boards generally don't like to adjust by more than a few marks either way to avoid looking incompetent. Your English papers for example are closer to the lower grade than the higher one which would suggest you're more likely to go down a grade than up one. History is a long way from changing grade so that would be highly unlikely to change unless the exam board have really cocked up.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest