The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i took statistics in year 10, can i retake it in year 12?
Reply 81
Original post by swopnil
i took statistics in year 10, can i retake it in year 12?

A long as it is in the Summer.
Original post by AlphaNick
Scared as hell

Hey, it's you from the Latin thread! :biggrin: What grades are you expecting?
Original post by sombm
A long as it is in the Summer.

is this just in Enlgand? In Wales we resit in November and Jamuary no matter if it's GCSE or A Level
Original post by lewishowell
is this just in Enlgand? In Wales we resit in November and Jamuary no matter if it's GCSE or A Level

they used to have it in nov or jan but they have removed that now.
Reply 85
Original post by lewishowell

Gove's reforms make exams linear and sittings are only in Summer unless you want to sit it early and the number of early sittings has decreased as the pupil's results used for the school league tables is now the first one attained. So now a lot of early sittings have been axed due to demand. You would have to talk to your exams officer and school or another centre where you want to sit it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-27518999
(edited 9 years ago)
Ah that sucks! We can also do first attempts aswell! We are keeping the GCSE as it is, isn't England changing it?
What Latin thread?

THe OCR GCSE Latin 2014 thread. I didn't say anything to you, but I just saw you there LOL.
I've hardly ever posted there if at all

Ok...
I've hardly ever posted there if at all

Oh, looks like you haven't. I have no idea why I thought you did... must have been some other thread.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hiya guys im Sara! Im in year 10 and I took the ocr gateway core science higher, im extremely nervous. This Core science gcse works in three different sections.

1st paper - 75 marks (35%)
2nd paper - 85 marks(40%)
coursework - 48 marks (25%)

If in the 1st paper I got a B, 2nd paper I got a C and in my coursework I got a B. What would my overall grade be

Thank You
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sarahussainxxx
Hiya guys im Sara! Im in year 10 and I took the ocr gateway core science higher, im extremely nervous. This Core science gcse works in three different sections.

1st paper - 75 marks (35%)
2nd paper - 85 marks(40%)
coursework - 48 marks (25%)

If in the 1st paper I got a B, 2nd paper I got a C and in my coursework I got a B. What would my overall grade be

Thank You

Depends how high/low they are in the grades, so say you got a high B and then a high C, you'd probably end up with a low B, but if you got two low Bs and a low C, you might get a C overall
Original post by sombm
The papers and mark schemes are not published on the board's yet - they are only published 9 months after they were sat. Before then they are available to schools and centers. As regards grade boundaries, I was originally under the assumption that they would be released on the 20th August (the day before results day) as this happened in March of this year when I received my Edexcel IGCSE Maths result which I took early in January. They were also released early when my brother was waiting for his GCSE results, three years ago and they the A-Level Grade Boundaries were released today (a day before the results). However, I contacted the boards and AQA said that they will release them on results day, Edexcel say the day after and OCR say the day before.

Edexcel is the day after! Oh dear l sat most of my exams with Edexcel except maths, Eng lit and history...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lottie006
I'm really nervous because the WJEC are meant to be marking even harsher with higher boundries. Sooo nervous!! Ahhhhh

I feel your pain! worst exam board out there :s-smilie: Maths killed me and did you do C2?:eek:
Original post by Changing Skies
GCSE Results Day 21 August 2014: Grade Boundaries

Hey guys :biggrin:

Firstly, myself and the whole of the TSR community would like to wish you all the best of luck for collecting your GCSE results on the 21st of August 2014! I really do hope your hard work pays off and you receive the grades you both wish for and deserve, I’m sure I’ll be very proud of you all :h: I also hope you’re all enjoying your summer and keeping the worrying to a minimum (as hard as it may be! :tongue:)

This thread is designed to help you understand the basics around grade boundaries and will hopefully answer any questions you may have about them. Also, it will be a place for you to access the grade boundaries as soon as we can get our hands on them! :biggrin: Some will hopefully be available on the 20th of August whilst others may come out on results day itself. If you do have any questions, feel free to ask in this thread by pasting any of the following into your message so you will quote a moderator in charge of these threads or simply post by replying (I'll be keeping an eye on the thread so I can answer any queries :smile:):

[noparse]

[/noparse]

Hopefully one of us, if not another helpful soul will answer :tongue: However, it’s probably best to read the FAQs below to ensure it hasn’t already been answered :biggrin:

I will try my best to update this thread with the official grade boundaries the moment they are published, so, should you discover them before this thread has been updated, don’t be shy and quote me with the document as I’m sure we’d all be very grateful! :biggrin:

There are also a bunch of threads for other things you may be interested in, why not check out the GCSE Results day 2014 Chat Thread? Here you can chat about how you’re feeling about your results, how your exams went, or even simply engage in conversation to keep your mind off things :h: Hopefully this won’t be necessary for most of you (fingers crossed!), but if you’re feeling a bit disappointed with your grades, please check out the Didn't do as well as you hoped? Advice here!" thread for some great advice that will guide you in the right direction and provide you with a lot of useful information :yep:

Grade boundaries

When the grade boundaries are released, the following links will turn green :smile:

-Edexcel
-Edexcel IGCSE
-AQA
-AQA IGCSE
-WJEC
-OCR

FAQs

What are grade boundaries for and what do they mean?

Well, simply put, grade boundaries are there to show you what mark is required for what grade! :smile: the marks for each grade boundary will be raw marks, so the exact mark you need to achieve on the paper you sat. An example can be shown by the fact that 38/50 may be an A* in English Literature whilst 31/50 may be an A :smile: It is worth noting that these are modular grade boundaries, meaning a B in one module does not necessarily mean you are unable to get an A overall, so don’t panic too much at first glance! It all adds up in the end :h: There is, of course, also UMS to consider! For those of you who don’t know, in terms of UMS:

-40% will always be an E
-50% a D
-60% a C
-70% a B
-80% an A
-90% an A* :biggrin:

Following that, this will mean that for the entire GCSE, the minimum value for:

-an E is 80/200 or 160/400 (depending on what the GCSE is out of)
-a D is 100/200 or 200/400
-a C is 120/200 or 240/400
-a B is 140/200 or 280/400
-an A is 160/200 or 320/400
-an A* is 180/200 or 360/400

Why do grade boundaries vary across different years?

I’m sure most of you will have noticed that one year, to achieve an A, you may need 5 marks less than the previous year. For those of you who aren't aware, this is all due to the fact that grade boundaries vary in order to accommodate the overall performance of that year; they essentially reflect whether or not, as a whole, students who sat the exam found it difficult or easy, or rather average :smile: For a particularly difficult paper, grade boundaries tend to be lower, whilst they will often be higher if the exam was found to be easy across the board and the students generally performed well. Changes in grade boundaries allow comparison across different years and ensure you receive a fair grade, it wouldn’t be very fair if they remained the same if one year's paper was a lot harder than the previous year's :h:

What happens if I'm close to the next grade?

It can be particularly frustrating if you look at the grade boundaries and realise you were so close to achieving the next highest grade, but please don't worry too much. Firstly, this may just be for one module, so you may still get the grade you wish to achieve! Secondly, there is also the option of a remark to consider. Being a couple of marks off a grade could mean you wish to request a remark, if you'd like to know more about this, then the Retake and Remark information thread should be perfect for you :smile:

If you read the grade boundaries before you collect your results, they can be excellent in allowing you to expect the grade you are likely to achieve, but please don't be too disheartened if you feel you are unlikely to achieve the grade you hoped for. Results can be very unpredictable at times so don't worry yourself sick for nothing, you may have performed better than you think! :hugs: we're all here to support you!

If any of you feel upset with your performance or would like someone to talk to, don't be afraid to PM me :h: I've been through results day about 6 times now so I know how stressful it can be and how you may have plenty of questions to ask regarding grade boundaries or results in general! :tongue:

So to wrap it up, good luck everyone, the wait will soon be over and you can get started with whatever you have planned next :smile:

As long as I can get my C in Maths, I'll be a happy bunny! :s-smilie:
Original post by CactiQueen
As long as I can get my C in Maths, I'll be a happy bunny! :s-smilie:

And me I'd be over the moon
Best of luck to you, I wish you all the best :smile:
did anyone do edexcel foundation maths?
The grade boundaries better be extremely low!
If I don't get into my school I'm in ATM I'm fcuked cos I don't have a backup. Anyhow I can apply to any sixth forms now?

Latest