The Student Room Group

I can't study and I am at breaking point

Alright so last week I finished my first year of A-Levels and it was hard of course. The subjects I do are Chemistry, History, English Lit and General Studies and throughout last year my teachers told us to revise like hell - I tried all year long but I just can't do it.

I struggled all year but in the end I think I did very well in my Lit and History exams, however, I think I failed miserably in Chem, so after my exam I decided I would need to study A2 during summer to aid me next year, it seemed like a good idea at the time, but now I am at breaking point: yesterday I went to the library to study (I can't concentrate at home) and I just could not do it - I read about the first topic, and I just could not think straight, as per usual for me - I was just unfocused and could not concentrate. I planned on studying 3 days a week but now I have lost all hope and morale, but I don't want to fail next year! I know it is supposed to be summer, but I thought I was being responsible, and even now whenever I am not studying I have a bad feeling that I will fail if I do not.

Please help me, what can I do? Is it stupid trying to study now? If not, how can I concentrate and study effectively, specifically for Chemistry?
You're probably just burnt out, it happens. Take a week off (don't even think about studying), and re-introduce yourself slowly to it. Do the first topic over the space of a week, or even two. Take regular breaks, change your study techniques, and don't panic if you can't do it, just skip it and come back later.
Reply 2
Original post by loperdoper
You're probably just burnt out, it happens. Take a week off (don't even think about studying), and re-introduce yourself slowly to it. Do the first topic over the space of a week, or even two. Take regular breaks, change your study techniques, and don't panic if you can't do it, just skip it and come back later.

See, I almost always feeel burned out, it sucks - I just always struggle to concentrate when studying.
Original post by JJHoward
See, I almost always feeel burned out, it sucks - I just always struggle to concentrate when studying.

I don't know how you study or anything, but have you tried studying in a different way? Maybe you need to adapt it so you learn in short, two-three minute bursts. Sites such as Memrise are great for this, and if your subject/exam board isn't listed, you could create a course, thus learning as you create.
School holidays exist for a reason. Take a holiday. Wait and see what your AS results are like, then plan your work accordingly.
Reply 5
Original post by JJHoward
Alright so last week I finished my first year of A-Levels and it was hard of course. The subjects I do are Chemistry, History, English Lit and General Studies and throughout last year my teachers told us to revise like hell - I tried all year long but I just can't do it.

I struggled all year but in the end I think I did very well in my Lit and History exams, however, I think I failed miserably in Chem, so after my exam I decided I would need to study A2 during summer to aid me next year, it seemed like a good idea at the time, but now I am at breaking point: yesterday I went to the library to study (I can't concentrate at home) and I just could not do it - I read about the first topic, and I just could not think straight, as per usual for me - I was just unfocused and could not concentrate. I planned on studying 3 days a week but now I have lost all hope and morale, but I don't want to fail next year! I know it is supposed to be summer, but I thought I was being responsible, and even now whenever I am not studying I have a bad feeling that I will fail if I do not.

Please help me, what can I do? Is it stupid trying to study now? If not, how can I concentrate and study effectively, specifically for Chemistry?

It's good initiative of you to want to revise to compensate for chemistry to get you ahead for when you go back but you will find it very difficult to self teach. Take a couple weeks off to actually rest or you will be burnt out, if not now, half way through next year when you need to do the most work. I would say to revise the AS chemistry instead of learning A2, it will look familiar once you look over it again improving your concentration as you will remember most of it. Would you drop Chem even and take 3 subjects next year? I'd advise definitely dropping one. Wait to see your result first then revise AS again so you can do a resit in the summer, but don't burn yourself out now there's no panic. I had to do a geography AS resit this year and we got told to not revise for it until a month before by our teacher because you can pick it up again with help. I'm not saying do that but don't stress man, enjoy your summer holiday and rest, AS is different to GCSE you need it :smile:
Here's a little fact that might help:

1 hour of 100% focus is better then 10 hours at 10% focus. So if you're not at 100% don't worry about it, do some work over the summer when you feel like doing it. Don't do this "I need to do work 10 hours a day" malarky when really you don't want to. I usually find I'm most productive at night. I just like you study English Lit and History, but I also study Music and Psychology. And with any subject here's exactly what you need to do and you can do this in like an hour or so when you're bored:

1. Become bored
2. Just open a book and decide you're going to do 1 chapter or 1/2 a chapter or 1 concept within a chapter. Basically a very small piece of work because let's face it, nobody is going to do a massive chunk of work in the summer holidays in 1 go unless you really have nothing better to do
3. Just ease yourself into it. Don't think that you need to get it done and out the way ASAP! Because that's not going to help you and never will. It makes you rush and tense up and subsequently lose focus. Take 1 piece of work, and enjoy doing it. After all, that's why you chose your A levels right?
4. If you get bored, take a look at how much more you have to read/cover and find a suitable point to stop. It's easy to just drop what you're doing to play your xbox or what have you (I do it too sometimes).
5. When your done go do something more fun.

I too struggled with AS (with the exemption of Psychology, I just got Psychology) but one of the best things you can do, particularly with Chemistry is to apply it to everyday life. Do some of them equations for everyday life. So that when you're cooking or whatever or making meth or whatever you do (it's none of my business) you know the chemistry behind it, it's like with psychology I apply it to everyday life (which is not recommended for psychology just saying).

Final Tip: From my experience of learning to read manuscript rather than tab for guitar, the reason I found the transition so easy was (because I study it for A level) that I got so wrapped up in the fact that I wanted to be able to read manuscript but not because it's useful to know or it's proper but because the application of it was that I can now sit down next year and learn pieces to analyse them. It helps if you can see the bigger picture of things.
Reply 7
Original post by Jackass.
It's good initiative of you to want to revise to compensate for chemistry to get you ahead for when you go back but you will find it very difficult to self teach. Take a couple weeks off to actually rest or you will be burnt out, if not now, half way through next year when you need to do the most work. I would say to revise the AS chemistry instead of learning A2, it will look familiar once you look over it again improving your concentration as you will remember most of it. Would you drop Chem even and take 3 subjects next year? I'd advise definitely dropping one. Wait to see your result first then revise AS again so you can do a resit in the summer, but don't burn yourself out now there's no panic. I had to do a geography AS resit this year and we got told to not revise for it until a month before by our teacher because you can pick it up again with help. I'm not saying do that but don't stress man, enjoy your summer holiday and rest, AS is different to GCSE you need it :smile:

You are right - perhaps I do just need my mind to be at rest for once. Thanks for the advice. Even if I did poorly at AS in Chemistry I certainly want to continue it because although it is hard I do enjoy it, and I think it may be useful if I do well in it. General studies is not a big problem either - we only need 1 lesson a week, I did not pick it and we don't really need to revise it so I might as well do it.

Thanks for all the advice everyone - you have all been a great help :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest