The Student Room Group

MRCS part B tips

So, I have just bitten the bullet and shelled out the £894 required for me to sit Part B of MRCS this October. I know that this is a bit of a long shot considering the demographic of people who use this site, but thought I might as well ask...

Does anyone have any tips on the best ways to revise? Best book/books to buy/loan from library? And most importantly do I need to do one of the expensive revision courses in September? If so which course would you recommend?

I can't really find any decent online reviews (that look genuine) to back up my decision making.

Cheers!
I'm afraid i can't help with regards to resources (still a 4th year) but as you're one of the few people currently in the process of sitting the MRCS on the site i was hoping to ask what stage you're currently at? I ask this as on my current placement i have been hearing of people sitting the exam (part b) in F2 or within a couple of months of starting their CT1 jobs so was wondering what your experiences of this were?

Not sure if you're already aware but there is a blog called iwanttobeasurgeon.com through which a trainee blogs about his experiences of sitting exams and which resources they chose. Not sure if that'd be of any use?

Best of luck with your preparation!
I'm at the end of FY2 (only 7 more shifts and I will be free!), starting Clin Rad in Sept so thought I might as well finish off MRCS. I had't seen the blog up until now, will check it out. Cheers.
Reply 3
Original post by citizen.erased
I'm at the end of FY2 (only 7 more shifts and I will be free!), starting Clin Rad in Sept so thought I might as well finish off MRCS. I had't seen the blog up until now, will check it out. Cheers.

I'm sure you've been advised elsewhere but I seriously wouldn't bother completing your MRCS, although it sounds like you've already paid.

Where are you starting radiology?
Most of the radiology consultants I've spoken to have said it's worth doing for CV and future cons applications.. Starting in Norwich.
Reply 5
Original post by citizen.erased
Most of the radiology consultants I've spoken to have said it's worth doing for CV and future cons applications.. Starting in Norwich.

That may have been true a few years ago but not any more (IMO) and certainly won't be when you finish. Having said that, if there were two candidates who were exactly the same and one had MRCS and the other didn't I suppose it could make the difference.

None of my colleagues have gone on to complete MRCP/MRCS once they'd started radiology, although some already had it from previous experience.

DOI: radiology ST3
my advice:
say goodbye to your social life for next few months.
find a study buddy - part B is all about talking and saying the key words and phrases confidently.
books - i found the catherine parchment smith books helpful, instant anatomy, a good anatomy colouring book (netter's), and the two small blue books for critical care and physiology.
revision course - st thomas' is the best. they use exactly the same scenarios and questions as the real exam. i found this one particularly helpful, but was pretty intensive.
good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending