The Student Room Group

Advice on bills

Hey everyone,

I'm going in to my 2nd year and about to move in to my first proper house. I'm trying to budget for next year, and have no idea how much to set aside for bills.

I will be paying for gas, electric and internet. Internet will cost me £5 per month and water is included. The house is shared between seven of us and is very old, so could get quite cold. How much should I keep per month? Ball park figure!

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by md13843
Hey everyone,

I'm going in to my 2nd year and about to move in to my first proper house. I'm trying to budget for next year, and have no idea how much to set aside for bills.

I will be paying for gas, electric and internet. Internet will cost me £5 per month and water is included. The house is shared between seven of us and is very old, so could get quite cold. How much should I keep per month? Ball park figure!

Thanks

Gas: £35
Elect: £40

Very ballpark figures obviously depending on alot of factors. Personally my last month's bills were about £18 gas, £22 elec.. but we have the heating turned off and all lights in the house are either ultra efficient or LEDs.
Just weighing in as we have the same issue! Are your figures, Reue, for each person or for the house as a whole? Thanks!
Original post by md13843
Hey everyone,

Thanks

Think my gas and electric worked out at 50-60 per month per person in earlier years.

Big house, very cold.

Currently it's £30 a month and we're over paying but small flat and sensible gf flatmate that is not wasteful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by mynameisadam
Just weighing in as we have the same issue! Are your figures, Reue, for each person or for the house as a whole? Thanks!

My figures were for whole house.

Only been here since March and already British Gas owe us £200 due to being way under their estimated.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
We lived in a huge 9 bed last year and paid just under £25 a month each for both gas and electricity (combined bill). This was a very old, dated, big house with poor insulation. We had the heating on most evenings too and we all had multiple electronics such as TVs, games consoles and of course laptops.

The water + waste water bill was roughly £90 each for the whole year. Internet was £5 monthly per person for 100MB fibre optic.

Combine that altogether and we paid £450 per person for all of our utilities for the whole year (12 months).
I pay between £10 and £15 a week for everything. And we only have the hot water on an hour and a half a day during summer (more during winter because it comes on with the heating).
Original post by Reue
My figures were for whole house.

Only been here since March and already British Gas owe us £200 due to being way under their estimated.

Maybe per week but not per month. We pay £50 a month electric and £50 a month gas (although we were in credit for a long time - we're in debt now cos we cancelled the standing orders so we weren't in credit when we moved out).
Reply 8
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Maybe per week but not per month.

Why would I lie? My figures were per month and for the whole house. Infact I've just had July's bill in and it was even lower:

Quick Reply