The Student Room Group

Trying contact lenses for the first time

Hi I have an appointment at Specsavers in a couple of days to get an induction on wearing contacts. I wear glasses 24/7 but would like to have the choice of wearing either glasses or contacts.

I've never used contacts before so not sure what to expect. Do you guys find them easy enough to use and comfortable enough to wear?

Scroll to see replies

Hi

A contact lens is mostly water so what it feels like is a water droplet on you eye. The first time you feel contact lens it will feel like a drop of rain on your eye.. So you know you blink to clear it that's what you will do it will settle in your eye. Contact lens are great for many reasons...being able to see without the feeling of glasses..getting peripheral vision...good socially ..and good for sports...hobbies plus u can wear normal.sunglasses outside in Sumner.
So you can different type of contact lenses. Daily disposables you use once amd throw away...then there are reusable ones..they last either two weeks or a month but they require cleaning and good hygiene. So if your a simple person who just wants to see how you get on and are not sure how often you want to wear then try daily disposable lenses. It's much simpler.
So in terms of the,process you'll have the initial contact lens for appt where basically the optician will look at your eyes have a chat with you to get an idea of your needs then recommend a lens put it in your eye check the for check your seeing okay
Then you will have a teach appt where you will be trained how to deal with contacts..then if all goes well you take them away to try and come bk and see optician to check how you got on...if allis well then you can go ahead and buy contacts lenses. You'll be fine,

Good luck
And yes they are comfortable to wear. At first you might be slightly aware of lens but as it settled it will feel like there's nothing in your eye and you'll be able to without the feeling of glasses!
The thought of touching your eyeball :O
Reply 4
Soft lenses are very comfortable, after 2 minutes of having put them in you actually forget they are there. At first when you start wearing them your eye will feel a bit tired (I don't really know how to describe it other than that) after wearing them for long periods of time. But you'll get use to that and not feel it after you've worn them a few times.

There only one thing I'd recommend - especially in this hot weather is to not let fans blow anywhere near your face because it dries them out and makes them feel horrible.
Reply 5
Be careful not to puncture your cornea.
I am one of an absolute minority, but just my 2p! I tried three different types of contact lenses and couldn't get on with any of them, partially due to my astigmatism. I think even if I had them I would still wear my glasses the majority of the time as I feel a bit naked without them! Do give them a try though :smile:
Reply 7
They're great.

You'll be fine
Reply 8
Original post by Ice_Queen
I am one of an absolute minority, but just my 2p! I tried three different types of contact lenses and couldn't get on with any of them, partially due to my astigmatism. I think even if I had them I would still wear my glasses the majority of the time as I feel a bit naked without them! Do give them a try though :smile:

I have astigmatism too. Hopefully that doesn't get in the way of me using contacts! Meh, even if it turns out I'm not suited to contacts, I've got a lovely new pair of shiny glasses to pick up at my lenses appt so that's something at least :smile: I know what you mean about feeling naked without glasses lol. I broke my heart when I got told I would have to wear them all the time years ago but now I would be lost if I suddenly had perfect vision. I suppose you just learn to love glasses eventually :tongue:
I love my contacts, so glad I got them!

At first you need to adjust - I hated touching my eye etc - but you get used to it very quickly.
Reply 10
Thanks everyone for your replies :smile:
Looking forward to giving them a go at least!

Knowing me I'll end up just sticking to glasses since they are less hassle :tongue:
You'd be surprised how robust your eyes are once you start taking them in and out!

Don't let tap water get in them, don't wear them for way over the recommended length of time, and make sure your hands are clean and dry before handling them.
Reply 12
Hi, I use to wear glasses all the time but I have always been a socially awkward person with no friends so I was never able to have the pinion of others on the style of glasses. For that reason, I stuck out like a sore thumb! I decided to get contacts and in many ways, my life has been a lot easier. I get peripheral vision which is great. I don't have to worry about my glasses getting sat on or squished or broken when playing sports or during everyday occurrences. They are definitely worthwhile. Only downside for me when compared to glasses is that you have to be so careful with them as they sometimes have a tendency to rip. This isn't a problem though as you just go to the optician and they will give you some more without you having two pay extra. One other thing is that with glasses you can get out of bed and shove them on for menial tasks then change into contacts when you are dressed or doing a more specific task. With contacts you have to go through the process of going to the bathroom, washing your hands being cautious with the lenses and get them in your eye. Sometimes they don't go in or you have something in your eye and it hurts but after a while you get into the hang of it. Another great thing with contacts is that you can lie down on the sofa or whatever without worrying about damaging the frames of your glasses.

I definitely recommend getting contacts. :smile:
Even if you choose to stick with glasses I recommend you getting daily contacts just for occasions you'd like to be without glasses, if you go swimming or when it rains...
I wear mine not often.
Reply 14
Before trying contact lenses i always prefer to get doctors recommendation so that it would be worth, sometimes it may cause damage to our eye also.
Reply 15
Thanks guys you have put my mind at rest. I was told by my optician that contacts are hit or miss and my astigmatism might get in the way of using them but there's not harm in giving them a try since I'll be in Specsavers tomorrow to pick up my new glasses anyway. My main worry was how they would feel wearing them and putting them in but you are all saying they are easy enough to use and you get used to wearing them :smile:
Original post by Yasmin25
Thanks guys you have put my mind at rest. I was told by my optician that contacts are hit or miss and my astigmatism might get in the way of using them but there's not harm in giving them a try since I'll be in Specsavers tomorrow to pick up my new glasses anyway. My main worry was how they would feel wearing them and putting them in but you are all saying they are easy enough to use and you get used to wearing them :smile:

I have astigmatism too , and have worn contacts since I was like 10 with no problems , would definitely recommend daily disposables !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yasmin25

What is your prescription? How bad is your astigmatism and what angle?
There are contacts for astigmatism as well.

I have not so low astigmatism and should wear contacts with correction for it, however, sometimes I use the ones without (they are cheaper).
Reply 18
Original post by Kathy89
What is your prescription? How bad is your astigmatism and what angle?
There are contacts for astigmatism as well.

I have not so low astigmatism and should wear contacts with correction for it, however, sometimes I use the ones without (they are cheaper).

I don't know the angle of my astigmatism or how bad it is, the optician just said that the astigmatism might be a problem with contacts but it'll be ok to give them a try. I can't remember my prescription spot on off hand but my left eye is -1.75 and my right eye is -3.25 or thereabouts.
(edited 9 years ago)
When I first got them, I was poking myself in the eye for like twenty minutes a day trying to get them in. It was painful and irritating and uncomfortable. After about a week, I just got the knack for it and I was slipping them in effortlessly, without even needing a mirror.
Love my contacts, wouldn't go back to glasses.
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest