The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Lie if you can get away with it. Otherwise exaggerate.
Reply 21
The only reason you would lie would be that you personally feel you're inadequate for the course. It's certainly a bad start to any career.

mk
Reply 22
Oh yes I have touched the coat tails of greatness and I return with a cautionary tale. I was being interviewed for a PhD studentship and I had put in my PS that my undergraduate honours project had been on the neurophysiology of limnea stagnalis.
The interviewer got really into this asking all sorts of increasingly bizarre questions. Finally he asked: How did you get supplies of limulus?
Limnea stagnalis id the common - UK - pond snail. Limulus is the horeshoe crab.
I didn't lie. The interviewer got it wrong, but I didn't get the job.
Reply 23
Don'y lie, be vague... but on noaccount do or say anyhting that will make the interviewer feel stupid and shy away from any points scoring between different members of the panel.
The one who looks to be in charge may not give a toss about you and you may alienate somebody quiet or obviously stupid who would fight for you if you don't upset them.
Reply 24
By the way, interviews vary a lot. At Imperial it's 15 minutes including deliberation time. At Oxford it's 26 hours. Check the prospectus. In November there are three days overwhich med candidates are supposed to spend 26 continuous hous in Oxford for the interview process. Find out your lies they will.
Reply 25
Danby
At Oxford it's 26 hours. Check the prospectus. In November there are three days overwhich med candidates are supposed to spend 26 continuous hous in Oxford for the interview process. Find out your lies they will.

Just in case anyone's concerned that you'd have 26 hours of continuous assessment Oxford... :p:
It includes interviews at two different colleges - so you'll be staying overnight at one (with a free room & food!), having interviews there & then JCR helpers should take you to the other college the next day.
You might have more than one interview at each college, but they'll probably be ~half an hour max each - they have lots of applicants to get through over those days!
The rest of the time you'll be free to prepare how you want, or meet other interviewees/explore Oxford & the JCR helpers should lay on some organised fun too e.g. G&Ds trips, films, ice skating, quizzes etc.
November was a brain typo? They still have undergrads hogging the rooms then - tis December.

My interviews were all academic/skills rather than PS based though.
On this topic I'm with MK, think about why you feel you need to lie & do something to compensate so you don't - much better preparation anyway & lower risk.
Reply 26
mk118
The only reason you would lie would be that you personally feel you're inadequate for the course. It's certainly a bad start to any career.

mk
Wholeheartedly agree.

Latest

Trending

Trending