The Student Room Group

Giant African Land Snail - advice needed!

Hi, are there any GALS owners here that can help me out? I’m looking after someone’s snail and it’s behaving strangely (this is only its first night with me). I think it’s an achatina fulica from looking at photos online. He keeps retracting his eye stalks then poking them out again, over and over. When the eye stalks are out they are really floppy and I find this a bit concerning :frown: Is this normal or not?

The snail has food, cuttlebone and water available to it - the tank's been misted with water as well. The temperature is around 28 degrees celsius in the room where he is being kept.

Tried to sign up to a snail forum to ask about this but you have to wait 12 hours to join their damn site :mad:
Original post by Where'sPerry?
Hi, are there any GALS owners here that can help me out? I’m looking after someone’s snail and it’s behaving strangely (this is only its first night with me). I think it’s an achatina fulica from looking at photos online. He keeps retracting his eye stalks then poking them out again, over and over. When the eye stalks are out they are really floppy and I find this a bit concerning :frown: Is this normal or not?

The snail has food, cuttlebone and water available to it - the tank's been misted with water as well. The temperature is around 28 degrees celsius in the room where he is being kept.

Tried to sign up to a snail forum to ask about this but you have to wait 12 hours to join their damn site :mad:

I've got some but I'm a new owner and they're only babies. :frown:

How long has he been behaving like this for? What food have you given him?

Tilly Elizabeth
x

Just randomly seen your post about this on tumblr! Tagged it for some snail keeping experts to see :smile:
Thanks Puddles! He seems to still be doing this but otherwise actually seems alright. Keeps trying to escape though, through a tiny gap with sharp edges, it looks like he is impaling himself :eek:
Thanks Puddles! He seems to still be doing this but otherwise actually seems alright. Keeps trying to escape though, through a tiny gap with sharp edges, it looks like he is impaling himself :eek:

Eep, can you cover it with something to make it less spikey?
Give him salt, that usually works.
Original post by Mathsz0r
Give him salt, that usually works.

No! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest