The Student Room Group

chemistry :/

I found AS level chem really challenging and also sometimes disliked the topics but I need to do A2 chem in order to apply for neuroscience at uni. any thoughts on what I should do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ApidIla
I found AS level chem really challenging and also sometimes disliked the topics but I need to do A2 chem in order to apply for neuroscience at uni. any thoughts on what I should do?

The jump to A2 isn't too bad. It just requires a very good memory and exam technique. Maybe discuss with your teacher getting some extra help. It's better to ask earlier rather than later since A2 chemistry is quite dense and there is a lot of content to learn. What particular aspect of AS chemistry did you find difficult?
The unit 2 exam in general was not one of my best exams. Especially topics such as reaction schemes and mechanisms. One of the reasons why I am worried so much is because my chemistry teachers are not very helpful. I have asked them what I should do and they said I should keep it. I only think they said that because my predicted grade is an A.
Reply 3
Original post by ApidIla
The unit 2 exam in general was not one of my best exams. Especially topics such as reaction schemes and mechanisms. One of the reasons why I am worried so much is because my chemistry teachers are not very helpful. I have asked them what I should do and they said I should keep it. I only think they said that because my predicted grade is an A.

Is your exam board AQA? If so, I can recommend some useful books. It is a shame your teacher is not very helpful. Chemistry is one of those subjects that once you understand the fundamentals it comes across as a much easier subject to handle.
No OCR... what are the names of the books? thanks for your help!
Reply 5
Original post by ApidIla

There is this website that has some notes specific to OCR A level chemistry http://a-levelchemistry.co.uk , the books I was talking about was the Collins student support ones, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Student-Support-Materials-AQA-Equilibria/dp/0007268270/ref=pd_sim_b_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=10G83G8JKSC1B9VTYY3M plus http://www.amazon.co.uk/Student-Support-Materials-AQA-Energetics/dp/0007268289/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

Although they are specific to the AQA specification I imagine there will be a lot of crossover between the AQA and OCR specs anyway but obviously try to get any resources that are related to the OCR spec just in case. Also past papers are the key to doing well in a level chemistry!!!
Thank you once again! :smile:
Any Tips for AS Chem??
Original post by ApidIla

If it's salters then I can recommend books, and I'm happy to help with this throughout the year that you're unsure about. I've just competed A2 Chem OCR Salters. Did you use revision guides?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Marcusroye98
Any Tips for AS Chem??

Which course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doing AQA AS chem next year, does anyone have any advice? I've started self-teaching and about halfway through unit 1 but I'm worried Unit 2 might be really hard.
Reply 11
I had to take it several times. The third time I took the exam I feel the professor just gave me the pass so I could leave his course :u:
I did OCR Chemistry and I personally found the jump from AS to A2 considerably big.
Original post by Super199
Doing AQA AS chem next year, does anyone have any advice? I've started self-teaching and about halfway through unit 1 but I'm worried Unit 2 might be really hard.

http://chemrevise.org/revision-guides/ make notes using those and do all past papers = A

Also don't screw up your ISA
Original post by TajwarC
http://chemrevise.org/revision-guides/ make notes using those and do all past papers = A

Also don't screw up your ISA

The ISA seems tough man. Like I've heard loads of people not doing well because of how high the grade boundaries are. Any tips on it, also what is it like I wasn't with AQA during GCSE so not familiar with it. Those notes are decent I'm not sure if I should make my own notes or just use those.
The ISA seems tough man. Like I've heard loads of people not doing well because of how high the grade boundaries are. Any tips on it, also what is it like I wasn't with AQA during GCSE so not familiar with it. Those notes are decent I'm not sure if I should make my own notes or just use those.

I'm probably not the best person to ask as I got a resounding U (18/60 UMS) on mine, but that's because my school only allowed us to do 1 (on the spec it says you can do 2). You get 12 marks for the practical and 38 for the exam, getting 12 for the practical means you need to have measurements within ~1% of your teacher's (they basically have to do the same practical and take data). So this could be for a titration for example. This part isn't as bad as it sounds

For the exam however there's not much to it, just revise whatever topic/calculations that the practical is based on and remember to leave everything to the same number of sig figs (most likely will be 2). With a bit of luck you should be alright, but really, the ISA is the worst part of AS in my opinion

Notes wise; use them and make your own, set them out in a similar style and make sure to copy out all the worked examples. Refer to both sets of notes when doing past papers then do some without notes. I literally learnt CHEM2 in 3 days using these notes (+ banging out past papers) !
Original post by TajwarC
I'm probably not the best person to ask as I got a resounding U (18/60 UMS) on mine, but that's because my school only allowed us to do 1 (on the spec it says you can do 2). You get 12 marks for the practical and 38 for the exam, getting 12 for the practical means you need to have measurements within ~1% of your teacher's (they basically have to do the same practical and take data). So this could be for a titration for example. This part isn't as bad as it sounds

For the exam however there's not much to it, just revise whatever topic/calculations that the practical is based on and remember to leave everything to the same number of sig figs (most likely will be 2). With a bit of luck you should be alright, but really, the ISA is the worst part of AS in my opinion

Notes wise; use them and make your own, set them out in a similar style and make sure to copy out all the worked examples. Refer to both sets of notes when doing past papers then do some without notes. I literally learnt CHEM2 in 3 days using these notes (+ banging out past papers) !

ah I see thanks for this. I'm guessing you are doing A2 next year?
Original post by ApidIla

What thoughts? The only thing you can do is study harder and try your best. It's not meant to be easy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wait for your grades to come through. I would say if you get a C or above take it. A D or below... maybe not. I have applied for neuroscience (at Leicester) I imagine it does have odd bits of chemistry thrown in here and there. There is no escaping so how much do you dislike it/struggle with it because it will come back to haunt you in uni again and again. Which part of chem do you struggle with?

(Assuming you're with OCR) the maths/mols side OR the organic chemistry (i.e. chemical formulas, equations, mechanisms)
You have to be quite good at maths/mols side as with OCR sets an exam worth 50% of your A2 grade which is purely maths, mols, equilibrium which I despised.
ah I see thanks for this. I'm guessing you are doing A2 next year?

Yup. Right now I just have the textbook and those notes so hopefully I can finish CHEM4 over the next month... Just need to make sure I don't screw up my ISA again otherwise that's my A*/A gone :/

Quick Reply

Latest