The Student Room Group

Manager was forceful - need advice

I had an argument with my manager the other day. The manager was shouting at me and I couldn't stand it so I calmly said that I needed to go to my place and left. But before I left, the manager grabbed me forcefully and forced me to stay in the office. I sad to let go and the manager only let go when people saw what has happened. I went back to my place feeling upset.

Have reported it to the upper management but still feel lost. Please help : (

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I had an argument with my manager the other day. The manager was shouting at me and I couldn't stand it so I calmly said that I needed to go to my place and left. But before I left, the manager grabbed me forcefully and forced me to stay in the office. I sad to let go and the manager only let go when people saw what has happened. I went back to my place feeling upset.

They should not have laid a finger on you. Are you a part of a union - do you have a union rep you could talk to? When you reported it was it a formal complaint?
Reply 2
They should not have laid a finger on you. Are you a part of a union - do you have a union rep you could talk to? When you reported it was it a formal complaint?

I made a complaint yes, but it was a verbal complaint and a discussion to the upper management; nothing on paper.
Get it on paper and send it to your boss's boss. Also send it to HR. Assuming you have HR. And if you really want to shake things up you can send it right to the top directly.
Reply 4
Original post by DiddyDec
Get it on paper and send it to your boss's boss. Also send it to HR. Assuming you have HR. And if you really want to shake things up you can send it right to the top directly.

I've discussed the matter with them; is that really important?

I'm sorry I really am not sure what to do now.
I've discussed the matter with them; is that really important?

I'm sorry I really am not sure what to do now.

Write up your account of the events so that the company have it on record. This can be used as evidence as your story cannot change once it has been written. And if other saw the incident you should write down who was there are they will have witnessed something.

Your boss have no right to lay a finger on you, nor can he (I'm assuming its a guy) make you stay at work by force. You need to take it to HR as soon as possible and go through the correct procedures. If that doesn't work send it to the highest possible person. Explain how you feel threaten (assuming you do) and that you do not feel it is a safe work environment. Just don't lie.
Yes you need to write it down and send it to HR and senior management.

No one is going to care about verbal complaints.

If you want this matter to be taken seriously, and officially, you need to make all of this written.
Reply 7
I cant reiterate any more how important it is for you to report this incident as much as the people before me have already made so clear.

This is NOT okay. Proof of which? You felt awful when you went back to your place.

Hopefully after reporting this and it being documented; your boss may approach you and try an apologise, make an excuse, etc. Please do not fall for it and drop any investigation that may end up going on. Whether or not he is disciplined and to the degree of which falls to HR. As mentioned earlier, this was extremely inappropriate.
Original post by KhanNab
I cant reiterate any more how important it is for you to report this incident as much as the people before me have already made so clear.

This is NOT okay. Proof of which? You felt awful when you went back to your place.

Hopefully after reporting this and it being documented; your boss may approach you and try an apologise, make an excuse, etc. Please do not fall for it and drop any investigation that may end up going on. Whether or not he is disciplined and to the degree of which falls to HR. As mentioned earlier, this was extremely inappropriate.

This! Listen to the advice given.
Reply 9
Original post by DiddyDec
Write up your account of the events so that the company have it on record. This can be used as evidence as your story cannot change once it has been written. And if other saw the incident you should write down who was there are they will have witnessed something.

Your boss have no right to lay a finger on you, nor can he (I'm assuming its a guy) make you stay at work by force. You need to take it to HR as soon as possible and go through the correct procedures. If that doesn't work send it to the highest possible person. Explain how you feel threaten (assuming you do) and that you do not feel it is a safe work environment. Just don't lie.

Original post by Spongebob'sPants
Yes you need to write it down and send it to HR and senior management.

No one is going to care about verbal complaints.

If you want this matter to be taken seriously, and officially, you need to make all of this written.

Original post by KhanNab

Thank you.

Well, the problem with this manager is that shifting the blame is really something that this manager is good at. Also, there's an intern that saw the argument that went on and I'm worried that the manager will take the intern and make the intern say that I'm the one who is at fault. Apparently, the intern is becoming closer and closer to the manager after the incident, going for lunches and all.

However, no matter what the problem is or no matter how bad the argument went, I believe that physically and forcefully touching someone is a big no-no in any company; I hope that I got that right?
Reply 10
Thank you.

Well, the problem with this manager is that shifting the blame is really something that this manager is good at. Also, there's an intern that saw the argument that went on and I'm worried that the manager will take the intern and make the intern say that I'm the one who is at fault. Apparently, the intern is becoming closer and closer to the manager after the incident, going for lunches and all.

However, no matter what the problem is or no matter how bad the argument went, I believe that physically and forcefully touching someone is a big no-no in any company; I hope that I got that right?

Okay, DO NOT by any means attempt to approach the manager or this intern. Doing so will be exactly what your manager is doing. Note any increased contact outside working hours (e.g. on breaks, etc) as mentioning any increased time during work hours can be justified as them working.

When you are asked for any information or want to submit any change to a statement you have given. Mention this, however don't expect it to be taken seriously without any proof that this intern could be swayed.

Correct, regardless of what was verbally communicated, physical contact is completely unacceptable.

Good luck and keep us updated.
As above get it written down and sent to your boss' boss (possibly their boss too) and HR (if they exist).

Within this make clear you are 'reserving your position' ie. retaining your right to quit and have it treated as constructive dismissal dependent on the result of the internal investigation.

Do not raise it with the manager or other staff, let the procedure take its course, if you have a union rep get in touch with them, otherwise either go to the CAB or a pro bono service offered by local law schools if you feel you need advice.
All he did was touch you, stop being such a pussy.

Why are you anon?
Original post by Dilzo999

If you ever become a boss you're going to get your backside sued to high heaven.

I hope you retain me and I get the pleasure of telling you I'll defend it but it's 99% you'll end up paying out.
Original post by Dilzo999

I'd believe that there's a difference between touching and grabbing someone?

Since when are we, as an individual, allowed to grab someone? Did I miss something here?
So you tried walking away from your boss when you had (presumably) done something wrong. He then grabs you momentarily (then lets go), so that you don't just walk off?
By 'your place', do you mean your place in the office or your house/flat?
Which country are you in? What was the degree and nature of the touching?
So you tried walking away from your boss when you had (presumably) done something wrong. He then grabs you momentarily (then lets go), so that you don't just walk off?
By 'your place', do you mean your place in the office or your house/flat?

It was a heated argument about work (I wasn't the one who did the mistakes so I had to defend myself). The manager was shouting at me and I couldn't take it any more so I excused myself and went to my place i.e. cubical

Original post by Limpopo
Which country are you in? What was the degree and nature of the touching?

Grabbed me until I can't move.
Reply 18

I work in law enforcement and firstly you have been assaulted and he has alsi caused you mental distress if he doesn't lose his job I'd be surprised.If you wanted to you could report it to the police as an assault, the fact people even saw it its a clossed case. You could literally end his career and get him a crimal record barring him from working any high profiled jobs for the next five years. Be smart, destroy your manager show him you are un****able. Thats what I'd do anyway... in my life anyone who ****s with me will surely regret it one way or another.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ana81
I work in law enforcement and firstly you have been assaulted and he has alsi caused you mental distress if he doesn't lose his job I'd be surprised.If you wanted to you could report it to the police as an assault, the fact people even saw it its a clossed case. You could literally end his career and get him a crimal record barring him from working any high profiled jobs for the next five years. Be smart, destroy your manager show him you are un****able. Thats what I'd do anyway... in my life anyone who ****s with me will surely regret it one way or another.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends how much the company values him. I recently saw an unfair case where the back story included a board member of the subsidiary of a major public company punching another former member of staff in the face. He got the criminal record, but is, apparently, an absolute rainmaker, so stayed on with a bit of anger management training.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending