The Student Room Group

Secondary PGCE with Law degree?

Hi all,

I've just graduated with a Law degree but no longer want to go down the legal route for my career. As much as I enjoyed my degree I don't think I'd like to do it professionally. I would love to be a secondary school English teacher and have been looking at the PGCE. Would it be possible for me to go from a Law degree to a PGCE? I have my A levels and obviously Maths, English and Science GCSE's and before I even think about applying I'll undertake some experience. I'd also like to know how much experience I'd need to be considered?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lawstudent4
Hi all,

I've just graduated with a Law degree but no longer want to go down the legal route for my career. As much as I enjoyed my degree I don't think I'd like to do it professionally. I would love to be a secondary school English teacher and have been looking at the PGCE. Would it be possible for me to go from a Law degree to a PGCE? I have my A levels and obviously Maths, English and Science GCSE's and before I even think about applying I'll undertake some experience. I'd also like to know how much experience I'd need to be considered?

Thanks in advance :smile:

The norm for a PGCE is for at least 50% of the degree being in the subject to be taught. However, I do know of a law graduate teaching English with just an A level via Teach First, where the rules appear to be slacker. However, I must also say that your employment prospects for secondary English without a degree in it are going to be very slim indeed, and so are your chances of getting onto a PGCE, which is hugely competitive for English.
I am currently a criminal defence lawyer obviously with a law degree and LPC. I am starting a primary PGCE in September and I've had no issues.
Original post by lawstudent21
I am currently a criminal defence lawyer obviously with a law degree and LPC. I am starting a primary PGCE in September and I've had no issues.

That's for primary. OP specifically wants secondary English, which is a horse of a different colour entirely.
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies. Research tells me that I'd probably be better advised going down the Primary route but I'm just not sure if it's for me! I've also read that Law graduates interested in the PGCE are advised to look into Citizenship as that is tied in with Law in many schools so would enable me to teach Law which I would be interested in doing - I don't want to practice Law but do enjoy discussing it and potentially teaching it. So maybe that's something I could look into :smile:
Thanks for the replies. Research tells me that I'd probably be better advised going down the Primary route but I'm just not sure if it's for me! I've also read that Law graduates interested in the PGCE are advised to look into Citizenship as that is tied in with Law in many schools so would enable me to teach Law which I would be interested in doing - I don't want to practice Law but do enjoy discussing it and potentially teaching it. So maybe that's something I could look into :smile:

Certainly. It's a very niche subject, though, so you wouldn't find a wide range of schools teaching it. (Sorry if I sound a bit negative! It's unfortunate but true.)
Reply 6
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Certainly. It's a very niche subject, though, so you wouldn't find a wide range of schools teaching it. (Sorry if I sound a bit negative! It's unfortunate but true.)

No problem at all, would much rather have an honest opinion! Yes, that would be my concern too. That and the fact that I'm not entirely sure whether I'd be interested in the entire subject as there's obviously a lot more to it than just the legal aspect! I think I'll have to try to get some experience in a range of schools and environments and then see where to go from there.
No problem at all, would much rather have an honest opinion! Yes, that would be my concern too. That and the fact that I'm not entirely sure whether I'd be interested in the entire subject as there's obviously a lot more to it than just the legal aspect! I think I'll have to try to get some experience in a range of schools and environments and then see where to go from there.

Sorry not to be more helpful. As a secondary English teacher, I can't imagine doing the job without an English degree, but my son's friend, who is the Teach First law grad, has managed his first year ok. That said, the very nature of TF is that you are put into very challenging schools where it's really more like lion taming than teaching, and actual English probably comes so far down the list that subject specific knowledge isn't required all that much.
Reply 8
Sorry not to be more helpful. As a secondary English teacher, I can't imagine doing the job without an English degree, but my son's friend, who is the Teach First law grad, has managed his first year ok. That said, the very nature of TF is that you are put into very challenging schools where it's really more like lion taming than teaching, and actual English probably comes so far down the list that subject specific knowledge isn't required all that much.

I have looked at a Teach First scheme but as I'm only researching and weighing up options at the moment, I'm not entirely sure of the difference. Do you still get a PGCE qualification after completing a Teach First course? I know you can achieve QTS with both but if I take the Teach First route does that mean I couldn't teach abroad if I wanted to in the future?
Sorry to bombard you with questions!
I have looked at a Teach First scheme but as I'm only researching and weighing up options at the moment, I'm not entirely sure of the difference. Do you still get a PGCE qualification after completing a Teach First course? I know you can achieve QTS with both but if I take the Teach First route does that mean I couldn't teach abroad if I wanted to in the future?

Completing the first year of Teach First gives you a PGCE, so you'll be fine should you wish to emigrate to (e.g.) Australia.

I'd recommend researching into Teach First extensively before applying. They cater for, and work with, a specific type of school, with specific (if there is such a thing) types of pupils. :smile:
Original post by TargetPoint
Completing the first year of Teach First gives you a PGCE, so you'll be fine should you wish to emigrate to (e.g.) Australia.

I'd recommend researching into Teach First extensively before applying. They cater for, and work with, a specific type of school, with specific (if there is such a thing) types of pupils. :smile:

Thanks for your reply, makes it a little clearer. Yes I definitely have a lot of research to do before I consider applying for anything! :smile:

I see you have already had replies. Sorry for the delay. Good luck with it all.
I see you have already had replies. Sorry for the delay. Good luck with it all.

Thank you and thanks for all your help!
Reply 13
I completed my law degree in 2010 and started a PGCE in Computer Science this September. I attended an 8 week (2 days a week) Computer Science Subject Knowledge Enhancement course.

I consider myself to be quite lucky to have got on, but long term would still love to teach law.
Hi, I’m in a similar situation to yourself. What decision did you end up making? If you did go down the Secondary English teaching, what route did you take and how are you getting on?Best wishes,H
I have a law degree and I was accepted onto all my PGCE Secondary English courses that I applied for (Incl. Warwick and Chester). Two wanted me to do an SKE, whilst one didn't require me to. In terms of experience, I had a year's worth as a TA, so that probably gave me an advantage. But, I don't even have English at A Level. I made sure that I demonstrated good subject knowledge. I am naturally good at English and I do love reading. A lot of universities accept Law degrees for English and you can do very well! Just make sure you display passion for the subject, admit your downfalls (e.g. not as well-read as those with English degrees), highlight your strengths (most likely language because of the Law degree), and make sure you put across your willingness to learn and develop in the subject area. But, make sure you are passionate about English! I'm currently struggling with my decision to do this course because I've realised I'm not so passionate about the subject to teach it for the rest of my life!
I was a paralegal and have a law degree and masters. I am currently doing PGCE in Social Science at MMU which means they will put me somewhere I can teach law. However, as it’s secondary and FE, I am currently in the secondary placement and teaching PSHE and Health and Social Care (baring in mind I’m not even qualified to teach them subjects). For my college placement I could even be told to teach Sociology or Psychology yet I do not even have an A Level in them. They tell you that you can teach anything if you have an A level in it or degree that is related but so far in my experience if they think you can teach it, they will put you in it! I aim to teach Law at A level eventually but this is the route I was advised to take.
If you want to do English just go for it! You won’t know unless you apply and your A level in it and law degree is definitely enough to apply. Good luck :smile:
Hey I also have an LLB Degree,and I want to do a PGCE.I tried to apply for it and I was told I need to have one subject that I did from High school to second year at varsity,problem is I don't have that subject,so what do I do now coz i realy wana do PGCE
Reply 18
Original post by Efearn195
I have a law degree and I was accepted onto all my PGCE Secondary English courses that I applied for (Incl. Warwick and Chester). Two wanted me to do an SKE, whilst one didn't require me to. In terms of experience, I had a year's worth as a TA, so that probably gave me an advantage. But, I don't even have English at A Level. I made sure that I demonstrated good subject knowledge. I am naturally good at English and I do love reading. A lot of universities accept Law degrees for English and you can do very well! Just make sure you display passion for the subject, admit your downfalls (e.g. not as well-read as those with English degrees), highlight your strengths (most likely language because of the Law degree), and make sure you put across your willingness to learn and develop in the subject area. But, make sure you are passionate about English! I'm currently struggling with my decision to do this course because I've realised I'm not so passionate about the subject to teach it for the rest of my life!

how are things now, what did you decide to do?
Reply 19
Was employment in school difficult?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending