The Student Room Group

Student Status

Will I be considered as a UK/EU student or an International student?

I hold a UK passport but I study outside of the EU, but I follow the british education system. I know I should be putting myself down as an International Student but the fees are ridiculously high more than double of a UK student, so when I look up possible scholarships/ student loans it mentions nothing for someone who holds the UK passport but hasn't studied there before. Its always for people with different nationalities etc.

Is there a way around it saying that I am a UK student, I know there are stuff like if I visit the UK a lot or pay tax etc I can be considered. But I don't fly back often and don't own anything there.
Original post by shrn
Will I be considered as a UK/EU student or an International student?

I hold a UK passport but I study outside of the EU, but I follow the british education system. I know I should be putting myself down as an International Student but the fees are ridiculously high more than double of a UK student, so when I look up possible scholarships/ student loans it mentions nothing for someone who holds the UK passport but hasn't studied there before. Its always for people with different nationalities etc.

Is there a way around it saying that I am a UK student, I know there are stuff like if I visit the UK a lot or pay tax etc I can be considered. But I don't fly back often and don't own anything there.

You don't get to chose - your status is determined by the universities you apply to based on your residency http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/International-Students/Fees--finance/Home-or-Overseas-fees/England-Higher-Education/

If you don't live in the UK and can't prove that you're only residing overseas for temporary reasons then you're not eligible to pay home fees.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/International-Students/Fees--finance/Home-or-Overseas-fees/Definitions/#ord_res explains what is meant by resident in the UK
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
The thing is I know past students from my school whom have never studied/ lived within the EU but were able to apply for the home student fee.

This being said and knowing that it has happened, are there ways around it in which you could be accepted?

eg. owning a house there? studied there (but not for 3 years)? etc.
Original post by shrn
The thing is I know past students from my school whom have never studied/ lived within the EU but were able to apply for the home student fee.

This being said and knowing that it has happened, are there ways around it in which you could be accepted?

Read the second link above. You would have to prove (with evidence) that you're living outside the EU only temporarily for employment reasons.
Original post by shrn

Although it is not decisive, parental tax status can play a very big part in this because the tests for being liable to pay UK income tax and those for temporary absence for student fee status are very similar.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending