The Student Room Group

placement- realistically!

Hi, just a quickie for some honest help:
I am hoping to apply for Mental Health Nursing in 2015, maybe 2016. I am a single mum and my child will be either 1.5years or 2.5years . I would like honest / blunt opinions on whether you think I will be able to cope with this course (especially placements) , my main concern is childcare etc.

Many thanks
Original post by GangBang
I am hoping to apply for Mental Health Nursing in 2015, maybe 2016. I am a single mum and my child will be either 1.5years or 2.5years . I would like honest / blunt opinions on whether you think I will be able to cope with this course (especially placements) , my main concern is childcare etc.

Many thanks

Lots of other people have managed previously with young kids. It's not easy, a lot of people rely on friends and family to help plug gaps in childcare when nurseries aren't open but it is doable. You tend to find that a lot of the parents on nursing courses tend to have a military precision in their time management by the end of their course.
Reply 2
Depends solely on what support you have...it's doable but tiring.
Reply 3
Original post by GangBang
I am hoping to apply for Mental Health Nursing in 2015, maybe 2016. I am a single mum and my child will be either 1.5years or 2.5years . I would like honest / blunt opinions on whether you think I will be able to cope with this course (especially placements) , my main concern is childcare etc. Many thanks

As a single parent you should get a lot of financial help. At 2 years old your child could be eligible for free pre-school sessions and a childcare grant may top up full time hours or provide child care vouchers???
Original post by cpinner
As a single parent you should get a lot of financial help. At 2 years old your child could be eligible for free pre-school sessions and a childcare grant may top up full time hours or provide child care vouchers???

I thought the free pre school hours started at the age of three?
Reply 5
I would speak to your health visitor, local children's centre or even a pre school.

Being a single parent wanting to study nursing you can apply for chilcare/dependant's allowance which can cover you for up to 85% of your child care, as well as increase your bursary...
Reply 6
Thank you all for your responses. Haveany of you participated in placements via uni, if so what sort of hours / days did you have to do?
within your 3 years you have to have worked all the shifts that operate, ie, long days including weekends, night shifts, earlies, lates and 9-5.

Quick Reply

Latest