The Student Room Group

Home Workouts vs Gym?

Not sure if I should put this as a poll.....or what but I'm looking for opinions from some seasoned lifters out there
I'm relatively new to weight training(free weights) and have only done it in a gym for a few weeks. I had to stop because of other commitments.

Arguement for Gym
They have a million machines that help work a million different muscles...etc, etc.
It was also crowded as hell.

Argument for home

I kind of like the privacy and focus I can get by working out at home without a bunch of other bodies crammed around me.
But that's just me....perhaps other people like having the socialization factor, helps with motivation maybe?

So I'm leaning towards just buying some of my own basic home gym workout equipment (like a decline bench)....a full set of weights, stuff like that.

Can I hear from others on the pros or cons as far as home workout vs. gym workout?

Which do you prefer and why? Also, can any very good home workouts be recommended if I just want a lean muscular built? I'm not fat or anything, just average.
(edited 9 years ago)
From my experience gyms don't tend to be that busy around midday, late in the evenings, or on weekends but it depends on your schedule.

You're definitely limited in the exercises you can do at home and you don't have a spotter.

I used to work out at home (had a few barbells, pull up bar, adjustable bench, dumbbells, weight plates, treadmill) which was okay but not great for the long term
Gym is far superior. Results from a home gym are very limited and will take forever. You also realise when you're at home you lose motivation later on and are more likely to give up. Cost as well: if you want a good home gym this could turn out to be very expensive and so a proper gym is better value for money.

You can also make friends at a gym and also once you start lifting heavy, its much safer to lift at a gym where other people are around if anything goes wrong.
Gym by far there too much distractions at home, the gym gets you out and about to get there provides more options to suit the type of the exercise you need

I suggest organizing to goto the gym with friend sometimes competing or something can make it more fun and push you harder

I would suggest going in at less busier time though like in the morn or later after (i.e 3 or 4 onwards) if crowed gyms are a problem
Reply 4
Original post by h3isenberg
X

Original post by Johnpeters
X

Original post by ConorBSmith
X

Thanks for replying guys. I think I'll return to the gym instead. All my friends already go to gym but not the ones I like :no:. Guess I'll have to make friends at the gym I'm going to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends really.

1. Old school gym for lifting
2. Free weights at home
3. National franchise gym

I'd rather spend time with my ex than go to a crappy franchise gym again.
Reply 6
Original post by Sanctimonious
Depends really.

1. Old school gym for lifting
2. Free weights at home
3. National franchise gym

I'd rather spend time with my ex than go to a crappy franchise gym again.

What about the old school gym though? What's wrong with the franchise gyms?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arieisit
What about the old school gym though? What's wrong with the franchise gyms?

Old school gyms tend to have people who are more serious about lifting and will help you out. They will give you more accurate info too. My gym has all the free weights up to Olympic standard, machines, boxing equipment etc.

Chain gyms can be a nightmare. They're often cheaper and therefore attract the day goers or people who are more about cardio as opposed to lifting. I used to go to one and half the time you had a bunch of Zyzz wannabes sitting on machines chatting about how women will be admiring their biceps after curling 30kg on a barbell.

Honestly its worth paying to go to a smaller old school gym full of serious lifters. Don't feel intimidated as they all started off in similar positions - I did too and now my squat and deadlift is 100kg +. My max is around 160kg on the deadlift but that's because im a higher bodyweight too. That's because I had help from people who know what they're doing. Unfortunately my bench is my weakest lift as I have a muscoloskeletal problem in that area.

If you do join a chain go to a 24/7 one and go 1am in the morning when all the idiots aren't there posing in their polos and so forth happy that they're lifting Heinz beans tins.
Reply 8
Gym!:wink:
I like going to the gym more than working out at home. The gym gives me motivation to actually workout while at home, I become very lazy and don't feel like doing much.
Home always

you will never go as hard at the gym. it;s mostly just full of posers set for street gyms. The people that are cut, do both home and gym just to access different machines.
Gym is better because of more equipment basically. But if your local gym is full of annoying people (like the situation used to be for me) you can accomplish a lot at home. Even just do more bodyweight stuff and you won't have to buy lots of equipment!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by SleepingStag
Gym is better because of more equipment basically. But if your local gym is full of annoying people (like the situation used to be for me) you can accomplish a lot at home. Even just do more bodyweight stuff and you won't have to buy lots of equipment!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, but others have said stuff about slower progress at home and less results? That is not an issue for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, but others have said stuff about slower progress at home and less results? That is not an issue for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really. As long as your home workouts are sufficiently intense you can get relatively quick results (and I'm a vegetarian so it's even more difficult for me) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by SleepingStag
Not really. As long as your home workouts are sufficiently intense you can get relatively quick results (and I'm a vegetarian so it's even more difficult for me) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ok :smile:. What's your main source of protein?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I prefer going to the gym as it gets you in the right mind set and from experience, training at home is so easy to put off. I go to the gym, everything is there for me and depending on what time of day I go, or what gym I go to, there aren't many people around.

The biggest tip I can give is to not neglect squats. Squats are phenomenal and train a lot of the body. Bench is great, but I see too many people walking around who have big chests and tiny legs. They just look ridiculous. Unless you have the space/money to buy a squat rack and weights then I'd just join a gym.
Reply 16
Original post by Michael!
I prefer going to the gym as it gets you in the right mind set and from experience, training at home is so easy to put off. I go to the gym, everything is there for me and depending on what time of day I go, or what gym I go to, there aren't many people around.

The biggest tip I can give is to not neglect squats. Squats are phenomenal and train a lot of the body. Bench is great, but I see too many people walking around who have big chests and tiny legs. They just look ridiculous. Unless you have the space/money to buy a squat rack and weights then I'd just join a gym.

Yeah, I'll be joining the gym :biggrin:. Thanks for your input though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh ok :smile:. What's your main source of protein?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure what my main source would be but the best sources of protein for me are beans, nuts, seeds, whole grain stuff, eggs and of course supplements

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest