The Student Room Group

Do international students compete against other international students?

So do int compete against eachother, and not domestic.

If so doesn't that make it even harder to get in, since anyone who bothers to apply internationally will have high academic credentials.
Reply 1
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
So do int compete against eachother, and not domestic.

Except where there are binding quotas (just medicine, I believe), it's a level playing field for all applicants.

If so doesn't that make it even harder to get in, since anyone who bothers to apply internationally will have high academic credentials.

So no. And it also isn't true that all international applicants have high academic credentials, or that they are on average better than domestic applicants.
You might see that the stats are lower for international applicants; this tends to be people applying with unrealistic grades taking a punt. Also, international applicants are more likely to not take their offer, because of funding or because they've applied somewhere else (e.g. Ivies).
Original post by BJack
Except where there are binding quotas (just medicine, I believe), it's a level playing field for all applicants.

So no. And it also isn't true that all international applicants have high academic credentials, or that they are on average better than domestic applicants.

Do you know about unis like Harvard and Stanford?

I guess the low domestic applicants will be wittled out anyway.

Thanks for the info.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by KombatWombat
You might see that the stats are lower for international applicants; this tends to be people applying with unrealistic grades taking a punt. Also, international applicants are more likely to not take their offer, because of funding or because they've applied somewhere else (e.g. Ivies).

Do you mean that they apply with lower grades, and yeah of course :smile:
Do you mean that they apply with lower grades, and yeah of course :smile:

Yeah, some will apply with lower grades; they won't subsequently get in!
Original post by KombatWombat
Yeah, some will apply with lower grades; they won't subsequently get in!

Yep ofc :smile:
Do you know about unis like Harvard and Stanford?

If you mean "does Oxford admit students the way the US schools do?", then the answer is no. The UK schools are very focused on academics, and they admit people on the basis of their suitability to study a specific subject. ECs help insofar as they demonstrate your interest in the subject. On the other hand, US schools like Harvard admit on the basis of creating a "diverse class". Academics are obviously a factor, but your ECs and essays definitely play a far more significant role as compared to the UK.

"Diversity" isn't a goal of admissions in and of itself for UK universities, so unlike the US schools, Oxford doesn't have a "quota" for international students. If you're good, they'll take you so effectively, you're compared to the entire applicant pool. In comparison, the US schools usually have an informal quota overall (and I suspect they have quotas at a country level as well), so effectively, you get compared to the other international applicants and those from your own country.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mishieru07
If you mean "does Oxford admit students the way the US schools do?", then the answer is no. The UK schools are very focused on academics, and they admit people on the basis of their suitability to study a specific subject. ECs help insofar as they demonstrate your interest in the subject.

"Diversity" isn't a goal of admissions in and of itself, so unlike the US schools, Oxford doesn't have a "quota" for international students. If you're good, they'll take you.

So international students compete against eachother in US, whereas at Oxford they don't?
So international students compete against eachother in US, whereas at Oxford they don't?

I would say so yes.
I would say so yes.

how is that for int for usa :frown:

int's are usually the best applicants - the creme de la creme and have the highest academics usually..
how is that for int for usa :frown:

int's are usually the best applicants - the creme de la creme and have the highest academics usually..

Why ever not? They are perfectly entitled to use whatever admissions criteria they want (short of it being illegal). If your criteria is "diversity", it makes sense to ensure that you have a good spread of people geographically.

That internationals are by default the best applicants is also an assumption. There are a lot of international applicants who are just applying to "try their luck" too.
Why ever not? They are perfectly entitled to use whatever admissions criteria they want (short of it being illegal). If your criteria is "diversity", it makes sense to ensure that you have a good spread of people geographically.

That internationals are by default the best applicants is also an assumption. There are a lot of international applicants who are just applying to "try their luck" too.

They admit a certain amount of each ethnic group - discrimination at its finest.

No it's a fact if anything. The two Pakistani boys who got 23 a levels each one example, and I will have to compete against all the Asians who have similar high academic creditentails.

Candidates internationally and domestic with weak grades will get wittled out at the first stage.

Not much I can do about the bias selection process.

Thanks for your help regardless.
They admit a certain amount of each ethnic group - discrimination at its finest.

No it's a fact if anything. The two Pakistani boys who got 23 a levels each one example, and I will have to compete against all the Asians who have similar high academic creditentails.

Candidates internationally and domestic with weak grades will get wittled out at the first stage.

Not much I can do about the bias selection process.

Thanks for your help regardless.

Pretty sure SCOTUS quite recently handed down a judgement saying something like taking race into account during university admissions is an acceptable form of discrimination. SCOTUS definitely said that this is legal under the US Constitution more than once. I personally think affirmative action is the wrong way to go, but it is arguable that there is a historical reason behind it.

Getting 23 A levels might be an indicator of academic prowess, but even then, I'm not sure how good that is as a predictor of University performance. That guy had 2iis for his first two years at Cambridge, and got a 2i in his final year.
Pretty sure SCOTUS quite recently handed down a judgement saying something like taking race into account during university admissions is an acceptable form of discrimination. SCOTUS definitely said that this is legal under the US Constitution more than once. I personally think affirmative action is the wrong way to go, but it is arguable that there is a historical reason behind it.

Getting 23 A levels might be an indicator of academic prowess, but even then, I'm not sure how good that is as a predictor of University performance. That guy had 2iis for his first two years at Cambridge, and got a 2i in his final year.

I concur. :smile:

Yeah I agree. A lot of internationals apply to the best unis in the uk just to try their luck. They don't have to worry about getting five rejections cos they'll be applying to unis in other countries like Australia and the US also. Besides if you're going to pay 14000 pounds you might as well choose the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending