The Student Room Group

Will i get an offer???

So I currently have a much-coveted place to study veterinary medicine. Obviously not taking up that offer, waiting and applying for med in 2015 would be a big step so I want to be sure I've a GOOD chance of an offer before I do so!

Note: the factors in my change of heart are very personal and very real. This isn't a whim!

Academic:
•AAA

Personal and reasons for wanting to be a doctor:
•main carer for severely ill mother for 8 years.
•legal nearest relative of said mother from age 18, much involvement with health care professionals, regarding her care plan
•mother passed away last year.

Work experience:
•3 weeks support worker, children with epilepsy (2011)
•6 months part time employment at daycare nursery (2011)
•2 weeks at charity shop (2014)
•6 weeks as live-in au pair abroad (2014)
Arranged:
•2 weeks at hospice

Employment:
•(too) many years in animal care
•3 month internship at magazine

Extracirricular:
•badminton club
•creative writing

Other:
•mature student (mid twenties)

Opinions and advice all gratefully received. I have a thick skin so feel free to be honest :smile: Ta muchly!
(edited 9 years ago)
No
Reply 2
It'd be helpful if you could elaborate so I can see what to work on
Original post by aprilmayjune
So I currently have a much-coveted place to study veterinary medicine. Obviously not taking up that offer, waiting and applying for med in 2015 would be a big step so I want to be sure I've a GOOD chance of an offer before I do so!

Note: the factors in my change of heart are very personal and very real. This isn't a whim!

Academic:
•AAA
•humanities subjects therefore applying for all 6-year courses (but not eligible for gateway)

•legal nearest relative of said mother from age 18, much involvement with health care professionals, regarding her care plan
•mental illness and substance abuse within close family

Work experience:
•6 months part time employment at daycare nursery
Arranged:
•2 weeks at hospice

Employment:
•many years in animal care

Extracirricular:
•badminton club
•creative writing

Other:

Opinions and advice all gratefully received. I have a thick skin so feel free to be honest :smile: Ta muchly!

Said yes straight off but saw that you are in mid twenties.
Sorry to hear about your mum.
Look for more regular experience, such as in caring or in NHS volunteering?
But yeah... you're application sounds like it will be a good one :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by hellodave5
Said yes straight off but saw that you are in mid twenties.
Sorry to hear about your mum.
Look for more regular experience, such as in caring or in NHS volunteering?
But yeah... you're application sounds like it will be a good one :smile:

Thanks for the advice, I don't have much time before applying in October to do 'regular' work experience, so maybe doing a month full-time (rather than 2 weeks) at hospice would be the way to go?
Reply 5
My main concern is that as an older applicant they'll expect far more work experience than I currently have :frown:
Thanks for the advice, I don't have much time before applying in October to do 'regular' work experience, so maybe doing a month full-time (rather than 2 weeks) at hospice would be the way to go?

Aye, that would be good. Just explain your circumstances and how you have tried your upmost... and I'm sure you will have good chances :smile:
My first point is that nobody can confidently and justifiably state they will have a good chance of getting an offer for medicine. My second is that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

I can't see how the situation with your mother didn't motivate you to apply for medicine last year but has now.
Reply 8
Original post by Good bloke
My first point is that nobody can confidently and justifiably state they will have a good chance of getting an offer for medicine. My second is that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

I can't see how the situation with your mother didn't motivate you to apply for medicine last year but has now.

I'd like to explain but it's very personal so I'd much prefer not to. Thanks anyway
Reply 9

Academic:
•AAA

•mental illness and substance abuse within close family

Work experience:
•6 months part time employment at daycare nursery (2011)
Arranged:
•2 weeks at hospice

Employment:
•(too) many years in animal care

Extracirricular:
•badminton club
•creative writing

Other:

I don't see why you can't get a place, with a decent UKCAT and PS getting an interview shouldn't be too hard.

That said, at interview, there going to want to see a bit more from you than the average 18 year old (On account of not being 18 :P) From my experience it's less about how much work experience you have and more about what you took away from it.

Alot of mature medical students have spent significant time working (a year plus) in the NHS, (mostly as HCA's and CSW's) - they come to the interviews with a really deep understanding of not only the role of a doctor in the team, but the core values of healthcare and the NHS - needless to say this comes across very well in interview :smile:
Sounds great! only thing is they probably wouldve expected more work experience since you're older. Sorry to hear about your mum, but thats the reason I want to do medicine too! I was a young carer for 11 years before she passed away and it really just through me into the deep end of medicine. Make sure you don't over play that though - I had a practise interview and in the feedback she said although i sounded very sincere and genuine, some people may think I'm playing the pity card so - be careful :smile:

But no, sounds good. Good luck! try getting some volunteering/ experince in NHS
My main concern is that as an older applicant they'll expect far more work experience than I currently have :frown:

Not at all. There was someone in the year above me in her 50s with a huge career in engineering. You have plenty of great experiences and the fact you've got a VetMed place should tell you that you're more than capable of getting a med offer. Go for it. Mid twenties pah. I am 25 and in my 3rd year. Who cares!

GOOD LUCK!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending