The Student Room Group

Dual Qualifying?

I'm a Scottish School Student atm, sat my Higher's (5) and awaiting those daunting results. My dilemma, (or to-be dilemma) is that I want to qualify as a solicitor in England for various personal reasons - I like certain areas, I want to work in London in large firms. Nevertheless, my options seem rather limited in Scotland. There are courses at Aberdeen, Strathclyde & Dundee Uni's which are dual qualifying; yet, I feel those aren't too prestigious, highly regarded, nor great Uni's for Law. Edinburgh & Glasgow, on the other hand, are. Those two only have LLB Scots Law. I know there is the conversion courses but this seems such a hassle (is this true? Has anyone went through this and could inform me of any details?) I would never rule out an English University. Yet, many mediocre Uni's in England ask for ridiculous entry requirements for us Scots - AAAAA at Higher and AAA at Advanced Higher. Which I don't think is worth the ranking of the uni. Fair enough at the prestige ones, though.

Opinions on what I could do come my ucas application in September? Thank you in advance. 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Hi, I'm starting uni this year and this is something i've put a lot of thought into. I never applied/visited glasgow or edinburgh uni, but I know people who have applied with a really good set of highers (AABBB/AAABB) and were rejected. I've firmed Aberdeen who are third best in Scotland for Law: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?r=Scotland&s=Law . They do offer a dual qualifier, they do more than just scots/eng. they do things link french law and things, worth a look. I think I may have left it too late to switch to the dual, but if i can i'm going to do it as it's totally worth the effort now, rather than qualifying in scots then having to do a 2year eng qualifier.

I imagine there are downfalls to doing the dual, but from what i've read they don't match the positives. I say go for it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending