The Student Room Group

question

Scroll to see replies

I'll post the solution now.
This literally took forever to type out in Latex! I have put a spoiler on just in case anyone is still working on the problem. If so, your first hint is to write the roots as k, n-k and n.

There may be a much more elegant way to do this, but my method is certainly correct.

Spoiler

Original post by Khallil
That's a pretty nice method! What did you think of my one?

I personally would say that our methods are similar. As a matter of fact, they are identical once you eliminate your a_2 * a_3 (I just tried your method).

In terms of length, I'd say they are relatively similar, yours may be slightly shorter. Still, on paper, mine was only half a page.

Your method is nice. Although, at first I was puzzled as to where your 1=1 came from, but then I realised haha!
i have no idea how people do that latex stuff and write solutions in that neat way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
i have no idea how people do that latex stuff and write solutions in that neat way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you do the solution in the end?
Original post by DomStaff
Did you do the solution in the end?

yh i did it a didfferent way. i used factorisation etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
yh i did it a didfferent way. i used factorisation etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Post your solution so we don't have to guess your solution! I always like to see an alternative method.

You'll be fine with Latex, if you really can't be bothered with it, just write it normally, like (a/b) or b^(3) or whatever.
Original post by DomStaff
Post your solution so we don't have to guess your solution! I always like to see an alternative method.

You'll be fine with Latex, if you really can't be bothered with it, just write it normally, like (a/b) or b^(3) or whatever.

basically looking at my solution you guys have used standard results where i have had to derive those results. So i have had a hefty amount of working before hand. Then used them results tonprove the rest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
basically
Let the equation be rewritten as an equation with roots alpha, beta , alpha+beta.
hence it can be written as
a(x-alpha)(x-beta)(x-(alpha+beta))
upon expansion prove what alpha and beta must equal i e (-b/a) then its simple from there on. My solution is more along the lones of the other guy. The first solution that was put up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
basically
Let the equation be rewritten as an equation with roots alpha, beta , alpha+beta.
hence it can be written as
a(x-alpha)(x-beta)(x-(alpha+beta))
upon expansion prove what alpha and beta must equal i e (-b/a) then its simple from there on. My solution is more along the lones of the other guy. The first solution that was put up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

khalil is his name.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest