The Student Room Group

I finished 2 years of a 3 year degree, does this entitle me to a DipHe?

Basically I did 2 years of a degree in French/English with a 2:1 average, but then ended up dropping out due to personal issues. I've no intention of going back (doing nursing now!) but I feel like I should get some sort of certificate to show the work that I completed. At the time of withdrawing my university didn't offer me a certificate but just a transcript of my credits - but they were generally pretty unhelpful as I was messing up their statistics by leaving.

Wiki tells me that two years of HE is equivalent to a DipHe qualification, does this mean that I would be able to get one from my university?
Usually you would be entitled to a DipHE but it depends on the regulations for the degree and the university you attended.

Have a look in your student handbook (often that will say outright one way or another) or contact the student admin/registry office and ask if you're eligible for an "early exit award"
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Usually you would be entitled to a DipHE but it depends on the regulations for the degree and the university you attended.

Have a look in your student handbook (often that will say outright one way or another) or contact the student admin/registry office and ask if you're eligible for an "early exit award"

I emailed the Registry and they said it was "full award or nothing", but I wasn't ever told this beforehand. I looked up the student handbooks online and they don't say anything about it, just how they do the final degree calculations in the last year.

It just doesn't seem fair when everyone else I know managed to get at least a Certificate saying what they did; I would not have signed up for this degree if I'd known they didn't do any lesser awards whatsoever.

If my university continue to be completely unhelpful about this, is there any other organisation I could contact? It seems like there is no source of impartial information on this kind of thing and if I have any rights at all.

I left the university because my YA placement was atrocious; I was put in an isolated and dodgy town with no support and ended up getting attacked by a group of locals. So on top of everything else I do see them as culpable for me not being in a position to finish (although regrettably I don't have a police report, I was so upset I just ran away).
Original post by Raducan
I emailed the Registry and they said it was "full award or nothing", but I wasn't ever told this beforehand. I looked up the student handbooks online and they don't say anything about it, just how they do the final degree calculations in the last year.

It just doesn't seem fair when everyone else I know managed to get at least a Certificate saying what they did; I would not have signed up for this degree if I'd known they didn't do any lesser awards whatsoever.

If my university continue to be completely unhelpful about this, is there any other organisation I could contact? It seems like there is no source of impartial information on this kind of thing and if I have any rights at all.

I left the university because my YA placement was atrocious; I was put in an isolated and dodgy town with no support and ended up getting attacked by a group of locals. So on top of everything else I do see them as culpable for me not being in a position to finish (although regrettably I don't have a police report, I was so upset I just ran away).

Is this Warwick by any chance - they're the main culprit that I know of for not providing early exit awards :frown:

It might be worth asking them if they can provide you with a transcript that specific CATS or ECTS points (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_Accumulation_and_Transfer_Scheme ) - then you can include those in your CV as a "qualification" for the modules completed. Or you might be able to use them towards an OU DipHE: http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/w41 (so take just one or so module with OU and get an official award that way)
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Is this Warwick by any chance - they're the main culprit that I know of for not providing early exit awards :frown:

It might be worth asking them if they can provide you with a transcript that specific CATS or ECTS points (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_Accumulation_and_Transfer_Scheme ) - then you can include those in your CV as a "qualification" for the modules completed. Or you might be able to use them towards an OU DipHE: http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/w41 (so take just one or so module with OU and get an official award that way)

Leicester, actually!

I have a transcript which shows all of my modules and the marks I got (almost all 2:1s, average of about 65) in case I wanted to use them in the future. Even that was difficult to get hold of, though! I emailed the OU asking if there was any way I could get them to accredit what I've already done without having to do a full degree as I've already started another course doing nursing.

I can't see what Leicester have to lose giving me a certificate to be honest. It's such a small thing to ask and I feel like I've been lied to about what I was entitled to when I started my degree.
Original post by Raducan
Basically I did 2 years of a degree in French/English with a 2:1 average, but then ended up dropping out due to personal issues. I've no intention of going back (doing nursing now!) but I feel like I should get some sort of certificate to show the work that I completed. At the time of withdrawing my university didn't offer me a certificate but just a transcript of my credits - but they were generally pretty unhelpful as I was messing up their statistics by leaving.

Wiki tells me that two years of HE is equivalent to a DipHe qualification, does this mean that I would be able to get one from my university?

I've just done two years of Dentistry at Uni of Birmingham, they've said I'll get a diploma in health education if I leave now. You've gotten such good grades, I do hope you get something out of it! I think that a transcript with your grades on does count for something, but all the same it's nicer to have a certificate.

My advice would be to keep asking; a lot of universities are quite disorganised and there will be members of staff who do something for you that others won't, sometimes simply because they didn't know you were entitled to it. Ask different people in different relevant departments - careers, transfers, even welfare might know something.

Also do you tell them straight off the bat that you've already left? Because they might be less helpful if they know you're not a current student on that course.

Quick Reply

Latest